Symptoms of a bad torque converter - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Symptoms of a bad torque converter

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Symptoms of a bad torque converter

I think I may need a new one. Just seems it has no balls/horsepower at times. Would like to know what else could lead me to believe it's this part and not something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

Re: Symptoms of a bad torque converter

I've had alot of automatics over the years and I've never had a torque converter failure. I have had some get contaminated from a transmission failure tho and replaced both. You need to look at the motor and other parts of the truck and eliminate them as a possibility. For instance, a general lack of balls could be caused by a restricted exhaust, like a cat converter blocked inside from broken honeycomb, a clogged fuel filter or intake filter, stuck brake caliper, etc.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Hey wait a minute....do you work for Sikorsky?? Looked up that teamsters local 1150 and saw they laid off some people...?
Anyway, I got a new cat converter last summer. Fuel filter was changed within a year.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
goin broke but n style

tell us what type of vehicle you have. there can be several things that can cause a vehicle to be sluggish.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
It's "Neanderthal"

Quote: Originally Posted by boomnblzr
Hey wait a minute....do you work for Sikorsky?? Looked up that teamsters local 1150 and saw they laid off some people...?
Anyway, I got a new cat converter last summer. Fuel filter was changed within a year.
Yes, latest rumor has July 3 as a layoff.

When you say it has a lack of power sometimes leads me away from the torque converter, I think that would be 100% of the time accompanied by some noise.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #6

Sucks. Sorry to hear. I've been thru many survival layoffs before. But I ask because we do some Sikorsky work at my job. We're a offload/vendor aerospace shop.
Anyway, back on topic, I got a '92 s10 blazer....2wd 2 dr. Sounds as if something in the muffler/piping/cat converter. I hear a "pop" every now and then. I think too the Torque converter is out. Is there a way to test the muffler w/o cutting open with a welding torch?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
goin broke but n style

"POP" could mean you are running lean. running lean will cause you to losoe power.

pull a plug out from each bank and see what they look like. if they are ghost white, than you are lean.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #8

I'll look into it also. I should mention that I gave it a tune up, done myself, within a year ago.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #9

So...I removed a few spark plugs and have a little brown around the sparking area, and a little whiteness...nothing seems too concerning tho. And I have what looks like oil around the spark plug threads. Seen it before when I change them out.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
"factory freak"...

If it seems like a lack of power from a stop or very low speeds, it could be a broken
sprag clutch for the stator in the converter. It will cause a loss of torque multiplication
that the converter produces under high stall conditions, such as accelerating from a stop.

Once the vehicle is up to speed, it feels fairly normal again.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

*Sigh* Anything is possible I guess. I changed out the oxygen sensor the other day. But that's all I'm gonna do. It obviously didn't fix the problem. Not gonna sink anymore $$ into it right now...needs a new owner.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
The Dave Inc.

hmm im curious about this too. mine seems to fluctuate/flutter about the 40-60mph/2k-2.5k rpm range (when it normally is hittin 4th or in 4th and the rpms normally drop just a bit more) and then eventually evens out under part throttle but has pulled just fine 3/4-wot.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
"factory freak"...

That sounds more like a converter clutch issue,
or possibly a problem with 4th gear.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by Crew Cab Sonoma
That sounds more like a converter clutch issue,
or possibly a problem with 4th gear.
Mine is automatic.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #15

my 87 2.8 is crap at red lights and such, once I hit OD+35 its great, OD -35 and off tha line it almost feels like its gonna die -- no bucking or hitching, just a hesitation, like a dead space in the accelerator cable, as if it were a electronic slide rather than a cable and butterfly. old/bad/dirty injector nozzles maybe?
Anyway, I thought maybe my TC was bad too, but the tranz fluid is beautiful, nothing leaks and it passed California smog with flying colors - not bad for 198xxx miles (but I suspect a rebuild/reconditioned motor fairly recently)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #16

you could have no low end power due to a freewheeling stator...also a locked stator will give you good low end but fall off durung cruising speeds...converter clutchslipping usually you will have a blue converter from heat buildup and if you can also have no movement at all in any range.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by transbuilderguy
you could have no low end power due to a freewheeling stator...also a locked stator will give you good low end but fall off durung cruising speeds...converter clutchslipping usually you will have a blue converter from heat buildup and if you can also have no movement at all in any range.
You mind telling me what the hell a stator is?? And also I have no clutch...it's an automatic. This happens in drive gear only.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #18

Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #19

lol as above and yes the converter has a lockup clutch inside the converter which is like a manual clutch it provides a direct coupling from the engine to the input shaft at cruising speeds
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #20

Seems mine was a dirty barrel and inteke manifold throat, I got some carb/choke cleaner for the hell of it and emptied it in the TBI a few spurts at a time, revving it after each jet.
Ain't hesitated since.
Also just drove to east Texas 100% problem free, Learned that any significant hill or mountain pass I godda be doin minum 75, anything less and I'm crawling up it at 35 - 45 but that may just be me, wasn't tryna push it and blow the engine, it shows 201k now.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #21

i am having a similar issue. I have a 92 s10 350 swap with th350 auto trans with manual valve body. I noticed this before but thought it was my brakes but there is a rapid clicking when im accelerating and as i slow it goes away and stops. I also noticed when driving if i go from drive to neutral the clicking stops almost instantly. Along with clicking it seems a recent loss in acceleration and horsepower.the only changes i have done recently is front wheel bearing change.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #22
i saw what you did there!

its amazing that ppl dont know that there are at least 5 clutches in auto trannies

manual trannies only have one clutch

ppl are amusing lol...

clutch doesnt mean manual

at all

clutches are actually almost always automatically controlled

instead of manually, by the operator

a/c compressor clutches are kind of controlled both ways

when you tur on the a/c manually you are turning on auto control of said clutch, via the pressure switches and a relay

then theres a clutch o the mechanical engine cooling fans

and so on

theres a billion clutches on a vehicle
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #23

I think you need to reread the basic operations of integral drive systems fast68, you'r a little misinformed.
Furthermore check your grammar and punctuation, you've missed a few slightly important textual grammatical annotations for a proper and concise post reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.