s-10 bed supports rusted - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

s-10 bed supports rusted

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

s-10 bed supports rusted

Hi, I'm new here so I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Anyways i've got a '91 s-10 2.8L v6 5speed manual. And my problem is that the panels of the truck bed look great, but the supports underneath are WEAK!. In the back near where the spare tire is, the bed support is completely rusted through and does not go across anymore- hence a small dip in the bed. ( luckly the spare tire has it's own frame mount/ support which is in good shape). Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do they sell reinforcements anywhere? Should I replace the bed? ( really don't want to). ANY suggestions welcomed! What should I do so that I don't pile on a bunch of bricks and have the back of the bed start sagging? I need all the help I can get- I'm new to this truck. Thanks!

Last edited by 1979atariguy; 02-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

Re: s-10 bed supports rusted

I have exact same problem and I would love to know different options also! rest of the bed is fine.... just supports suck
Old 11-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #3

Replace the bed or take the mounts off another bed and put them on yours... or fabricate your own. No replacements are available as far as I know. So if I were you Id start looking for a junkyard truck with good mounts. I have the opposite problem. Bed structure is perfect but the sides are horribly beaten
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine

I cut them out, you can use a spotweld cutter or just grind thru the spotwelds in the support to the bed. I weld L channel or U channel in their place, you need to find the right size. I do all this with the bed standing on it's front panel. Box the ends at the bolt holes and measure carefully for the bolt holes and weld the nuts in place on the other side. The last one I did I just cut the strut rods off the support and welded them to the new fabricated one. POR15 everything and it's better than new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.