S-10 Forum banner

s-10 bed supports rusted

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SH-60B 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here so I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Anyways i've got a '91 s-10 2.8L v6 5speed manual. And my problem is that the panels of the truck bed look great, but the supports underneath are WEAK!. In the back near where the spare tire is, the bed support is completely rusted through and does not go across anymore- hence a small dip in the bed. ( luckly the spare tire has it's own frame mount/ support which is in good shape). Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do they sell reinforcements anywhere? Should I replace the bed? ( really don't want to). ANY suggestions welcomed! What should I do so that I don't pile on a bunch of bricks and have the back of the bed start sagging? I need all the help I can get- I'm new to this truck. Thanks!

#3 ·
Replace the bed or take the mounts off another bed and put them on yours... or fabricate your own. No replacements are available as far as I know. So if I were you Id start looking for a junkyard truck with good mounts. I have the opposite problem. Bed structure is perfect but the sides are horribly beaten

#4 ·
I cut them out, you can use a spotweld cutter or just grind thru the spotwelds in the support to the bed. I weld L channel or U channel in their place, you need to find the right size. I do all this with the bed standing on it's front panel. Box the ends at the bolt holes and measure carefully for the bolt holes and weld the nuts in place on the other side. The last one I did I just cut the strut rods off the support and welded them to the new fabricated one. POR15 everything and it's better than new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.