Ring Gear Size??? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Ring Gear Size???

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Ring Gear Size???

Hey guys found some info about the axle i need but i need to figure out what ring gear size i have. I dont want to remove anything because i drive the truck everyday. I still have all the RPO Codes in the glove box can someone tell me what codes are what? I have the 3.73gears in the rear and its a 2wd. How do i find out what size ring gear i have without removing anything?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Sold

Re: Ring Gear Size???

what year truck?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #3

Hey Twin-10s,
Thanks for the pics and my truck is a 1991 s10.
I think its the 7.5" or the 7.625" how can i tell which one it has?
I cant really open it up to take a look because i drive it everyday and i cant have any downtime with it.
Thanks

Last edited by ironduke2.5; 08-04-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Stock

Quote: Originally Posted by ironduke2.5
Hey Twin-10s,
Thanks for the pics and my truck is a 1991 s10.
I think its the 7.5" or the 7.625" how can i tell which one it has?
I cant really open it up to take a look because i drive it everyday and i cant have any downtime with it.
Thanks
they are the same.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

hey 2002chad they are not the same because the 7.5" ring gear needs the 26spline axle shaft and the 7.625" ring gear needs the 28spline axle shaft. I wish they were both the same but just a small bit of difference can cause a big deal. Am i going to have to open up my rear end and measure my ring gear or does someone know how to tell the difference without opening up the diff?
Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
is a fungineer

The ring gears are exactly the same.

The only difference in those would be number of axle splines, and those would only be different due to the year of the rearend.

:edit: I think you would have a 7.5", 26 spline rear. The easiest way to tell would be pull the cover, pull an axle, and check.

Last edited by ka_jd7and1; 08-05-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
goin broke but n style

the gear are the same as stated, it depends on what the carrier is that is your 26-28 spline gear have nothing to do with that
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
forum idiot

yeah spline counts have nothing to do with the ring size...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #9

Of course they are diffferent. one is an eigth of an inch bigger than the other. The 91 probably has the bigger one. Carrier is determined by axle ratio. yours is a 3.73 so you have the series 3 carrier. Yes the axles have different splines. They are not neccesarily related to the size of the gear. A 7.5 can be installed with 28 splined axles if the carrier or posi is right.

What you need to know most of all is wether or not your truck has EVER had anything done to the rear end. If you cannot be sure, start from scrtch by determining your gear ratio without looking at rpo codes. there are mothods turning the wheel while counting how many times the driveshaft turns is one way. One wheel blocked other off the ground. Please look for an accurate descrption on how to do this on the web elsewhere. It can be found and its not hard.

The gear ratio determines the carrier. The axle spline count, if NOT known for sure, is best found by pulling an axle. of course the axle is held in by clips inside the rear, so if pulling the cover anyway, its best to just count teeth on the gears while there to get the ratio.

The reason no-one can tell you for sure is simple. WE don't know your truck. The early models all had 7.5 and later they went to 7.625 the problem is that they also changed spline counts and while al the changing was going on not all trucks were built the same. there is also a number stamped on the rear. I believe its on the front of the drivers side. this code should tell you what was the ORIGINAL setup of the rear. Since many parts interchange, someone can fix a rear by installing parts from different vehicles inside the pumpkin.

No one knows where that pumpkin has been unless you do. If you find the number, which requires lots of looking and cleaning, and you know for sure it has never been out, you'll be sure of what it means. Otherwise, I am with everyone else and suggest pulling the cover, a clip and an axle.

Hey, if you drive it everyday, why not leave it alone?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
goin broke but n style

ok if a 7.5 and a 7.625 id diff than why does RICHMOND list both of them the same.

FYI i put 7.5 3.73 2-series gears in my 94 with a 2-series torsen carrier. My truck orig had 7.625 2-series 3.08 peg leg as listed by GM. The ring size is listed the same because they are the same. I have since put over 30k miles on this truck and have had no problems.

little more info:
http://richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG9.pdf

removing an axle takes about 1 hr or less. no reason why you can't do this onnite and drive to work the next morning
Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #11

When i goto junkyard to get a rear axle does it matter if i get the exact same that i got nowall i need it for it to fit like the last one?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #12

you just need to get a 2wd(guessing you got a 2wd) rear end out of an s-10. 4wd rear ends are 4" wider and ZR2 are 8" wider. unless you have a bigger motor than the 4.3 you don't have to worry about the strength of the rear end, it shouldn't break that easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.