reverse light switch location - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

reverse light switch location

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #1

reverse light switch location

hi people i have a 92 4.3 s-10 and out of nowhere the reverse lights stopped working, though for whatever reason they choose to work once every few days. i replaced the bulbs so that is not a problem and i am thinking that either the reverse light switch is bad or the plug may be dirty or came off. does anyone know the location? i put the truck on the lift and unplugged the 2 wires on the drivers' side and plugged them back in which did nothing. i don't have a t-5 i have the 5speed that has an integrated bell housing. any help is appreciated
Old 04-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
Dead Project Truck

User is: OffLine
Re: reverse light switch location

there should be two sensors in the drivers side of your transmission, the rear one is for the speedometer and the front one is for your back up lights.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #3

thank you i'll have to take another look at that!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #4

by the way, does anyone know if i can just take the switch out of the trans as it sits or will it leak fluid/do i have to take the shifter out?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #5

it should just unplug.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #6

well, i put the truck on the lift and put it in reverse and the light didn't come on, and i wiggled the connector and found that it wasn't the wire or the plug on it, but the actual switch itself had to be wiggled to get the lights to come on. i was going to unscrew the switch out of the trans but i don't have a chiltons or blowup of the trans assembly so i am not sure if the fluid level reaches that high or whether removing the switch itself requires the shifter being taken out of the top. i figure i would take a look at it to see if it just needed to be cleaned but i will most likely just pick up a new switch from a parts store, though they might have to order it. the only thing keeping me from that is the fact that it is my only transportation and i don't wanna render the truck useless by messing with the shifter and trans unless it just unscrews out and another can be screwed right back in. it's been a while since i have messed with a t-5 or tremec so i don't remember how the reverse light switch worked in them but i am assuming that the new venture wouldn't be too different....any ideas?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
?

I had that problem too, my lights were always on, and turrned off sometimes i thought it was the switch but it turned out to be a ground, i reattached it and it solved the problem hope this helps......

Last edited by Red85Tahoe; 05-05-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:18 PM   #8

i too seem to need the reverse switch replaced on my 93 s10(2.8l 5 speed). anymore info available on how much of a chore changing this will be?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

i really hate to bring this thread up from the dead but im running into the same issue and right now atleast for the next couple months my truck is my only driver untill my camaro gets put back together and really wanna get this thing ready to sell it. any advice?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #10

Very similar problem... 97 sonoma 4.3 5spd...

Removed plug from switch.. Jumped the wires in the plug. LIGHTS WORK.

Replaced switch. No lights yet. TWO bad switches????

BTW, both switches will "make" off the truck. what ever is in the transmission pushing on that ball could be worn out... or I have two switches..
Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #11

MY neighbor has a lathe.... He chucked my new switch up in his lathe and milled 30 thousandths of an inch off the face of the nut portion of the switch. IT WORKS NOW.. thats about 1.3/32 of an inch further that it screws into the transmission....................... PROBLEM SOLVED..
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #12

Everything checked out... Except the switch would not make when installed.

SO, my neighbor chucked one of my switches in his lathe and milled 30/1000ths off the face of the nut part of the switch so it would go into the transmission 1/32 inch further.. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.