Replacing Valve body. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Replacing Valve body.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Replacing Valve body.

I have had problems with a hard shift between 1-2 gears and the P1870 code being set. I found a service bulletin on the problem. There was a problem with the valve body on the 4L60E transmissions used on the 1996-2000 model year trucks. They say just to replace the valve body with the new design and that fixes the problem. Is this easy to do while the tranny is on the trucks lifted up or do I have to pull the tranny. I don't really want to pull it. Has anyone done this.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Got spray? Got boost? (y)

Re: Replacing Valve body.

You do not have to pull the trans to do it. Just need a filter kit, gasket, valve body gaskets. You can also try a Superior shift correction package ment to eliminate this problem. I have done this to one and succesfully fixed this problem. The harsh 1-2 shift is becuase of the code the computer commands increased line pressure to help prevent trans falure. Rember there is 4 different sized bolts in the valve body, putting one in the wrong place can make the whole trans lock up.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:33 AM   #3

So it is not hard to do, it just takes some time to fix. New filter and new fluid is what I will also do, but the problem is the valve body according to the tranny shop, and General Motors.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

Quote: Originally Posted by hellbents10
You do not have to pull the trans to do it. Just need a filter kit, gasket, valve body gaskets. You can also try a Superior shift correction package ment to eliminate this problem. I have done this to one and succesfully fixed this problem. The harsh 1-2 shift is becuase of the code the computer commands increased line pressure to help prevent trans falure. Rember there is 4 different sized bolts in the valve body, putting one in the wrong place can make the whole trans lock up.
More info on the Superior shift correction kit please. I have a fully built tranny which shifts a hard 1-2. How difficult do you think it would be to install this kit?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:00 AM   #5

removing the valve body is more or less straight forward, just have to have the check ball location perfect...http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/se...7/1997_052.pdf, you will need to go to a trans shop ad get alittle trans lubew for holding the balls in place, reg. grease will plug the valve body.

and with the use of a 10 and 8mm, I think it is 8-12 ft/lbs reinstall the torque,

with my experience the TCC solenoid should also be replaced ( the thing that is up by bellhousing passenger side)
Old 12-12-2004, 11:02 AM   #6

if you are having other questions, email me www.120244602@fvtc.edu
I will walk you along, I do this shit for a living and for fun(wife thinks I'm nuts)
Old 12-13-2004, 01:56 AM   #7

i purchased the sonnax 4l60e sure cure kit, for out 99 blazer. its supposed to address most/all of the problems with the 4l60e, and i've been told by someone who installed it that it took them 3 hours, didn't have to drop tranny. will let you know how it goes
Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Nice Jorb

Quote: Originally Posted by nystateofmind27
More info on the Superior shift correction kit please. I have a fully built tranny which shifts a hard 1-2. How difficult do you think it would be to install this kit?

Most built tranny's are designed to shift hard from 1-2. It's not an actual problem in your case.

Quote:
you will need to go to a trans shop ad get alittle trans lubew for holding the balls in place, reg. grease will plug the valve body.
The B&M shift kit I installed said to use vasoline. It disolves in transmission fluid.

Also, when you do this, just make sure you keep everything clean and pop a drain plug in the pan to make future fluid changes easier.

Last edited by cavymeister; 12-13-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.