Replacing Broken Wheel Studs??? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Replacing Broken Wheel Studs???

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #1

Replacing Broken Wheel Studs???

HELP PLEASE!!! broke three wheel studs on one of the rear wheels of my 95S10. how do i replace/ change them? anyone know how? is it hard? easy>? how is it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
the youngest has been

User is: OffLine
Re: Replacing Broken Wheel Studs???

pull the drum off and beat them out then use a lug nut and an impact to pull the new one in place
Old 09-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by tippmann243
pull the drum off and beat them out then use a lug nut and an impact to pull the new one in place
are you sure it's that easy??? there is a big plate that covers the backside of the drum/hub area .... you can't see the back of the studs at all. check this link to see the plate i'm talking about look at the pic: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/attach...55772&viewer=1
Old 09-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
No more switches

i thought u had to take the axle out to get them out.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by CustomS10
i thought u had to take the axle out to get them out.
i had feared that. this pic shows that plate that covers the drum.hub area

Last edited by haymaker11; 09-18-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
Getting faster

I had enough room to get them in from behind the axle when I broke mine. All I had to do was pull the drum off. Air hammer will usually make short work of them as well.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
I had enough room to get them in from behind the axle when I broke mine. All I had to do was pull the drum off. Air hammer will usually make short work of them as well.
i can't see the studs even because of the plate that seems to cover the backside of the drum.hub as it shows in the pic i supplied. maybe there is a way to remove this plate?>

is yours a second gen?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Getting faster

1st or 2nd, shouldn't be any difference. Your not gonna be able to see the backside of it. Yank the drum off, you'll see the axle flange, and the studs.

If you busted the studs, theyr'e short enough to just about fall out the back of the axle. You'll need to spin the axle around and find the most clearance around the brake stuff to fit the new stud back into the axle flange.

Just need to take 2 minutes and work it in there.

Trust me, theres enough clearance. I've done it myself. Took me maybe 30 minutes to replace them.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
import killer

Quote: Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
1st or 2nd, shouldn't be any difference. Your not gonna be able to see the backside of it. Yank the drum off, you'll see the axle flange, and the studs.

If you busted the studs, theyr'e short enough to just about fall out the back of the axle. You'll need to spin the axle around and find the most clearance around the brake stuff to fit the new stud back into the axle flange.

Just need to take 2 minutes and work it in there.

Trust me, theres enough clearance. I've done it myself. Took me maybe 30 minutes to replace them.
x2. the picture that was posted was the backing plate. that hold the shoes,springs,and wheel cylinder. it has nothing to do with the wheel studs.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #10

use a lug nut and an impact to pull the new one in place
Don't ever do that. You're supposed to used a press. Drawing them in by the threads is a very bad practice, any good mechanic will tell you that. It's easy to do it that way, but the torque required to seat them properly will over stress the studs. Either that, or they won't be seated properly. I'm guilty of doing it wrong too, until someone who knew better educated me.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by syclonekid43
x2. the picture that was posted was the backing plate. that hold the shoes,springs,and wheel cylinder. it has nothing to do with the wheel studs.
actually it does. read my posts, i said the backing plate covers the entrie hub where the studs are located, making it impossible to get at them from the back end with that in place. you have to remove the drum, shoes etc..to be able toi see the hub and stus. there isn't much room back there champ. post something i didn't already know next time.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
NO H-body, New Dime

just take the axle out, its a slam! Remove the wheel and drum. Then remove your pumpkin cover and spin the axle till you see the pinion shaft in the middle of the gears. There is a small bolt going through it. Remove that bolt and the pinion shaft will literally fall out. Then there is a c clip that just falls out if you push the axle in towards the gears. Then you can just slide the axle out. Its really easy. remove bolt, shaft, c clip, then pull axle out. SLAM. Then you can take it somewhere and get it pressed in or use the lugnut method. If you use the lugnut way go to lowes and get 3 or 4 grade 8 washers and put them between the lugnut and axle. This will spread out the impact from all the torque so you damage the axle flange or the stud. good luck buddy. PM me if you need help.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #13
Getting faster

You don't need to go through all that. I busted one of mine right before I was leaving to go racing one night. They won't let me race with a stud missing. It took all of maybe 30 minutes to replace it in mine.

All you have to do is pull the drum off. And spin the axle for the most clearance.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #14
the youngest has been

Quote: Originally Posted by pvfjr
Don't ever do that. You're supposed to used a press. Drawing them in by the threads is a very bad practice, any good mechanic will tell you that. It's easy to do it that way, but the torque required to seat them properly will over stress the studs. Either that, or they won't be seated properly. I'm guilty of doing it wrong too, until someone who knew better educated me.
been doing it this way for years and never had one problem
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #15
Sky.... here i come

How much different would it be to change the front stud in my 1997 S10 4WD?? I snapped one off putting my tires on last night.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #16
my hoopty

been doing it this way for years and never had one problem
x2. no problem. just make sure you got an extra lugnut or two and some type of spacer between the nut and the axle. I used to use old fwd axle shaft nuts.
If nothing else, go ahead and knock out the broken ones, and then you will see how much room you have to work around the inside of the brake shoes.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #17
Pushrod for life!

Quote: Originally Posted by pvfjr
any mechanic who says that has too much time on their hands. you do not need to go through all that. pulling them through with a lugnut works just fine. i have been doing it that way for yearsand never had a problem
Old 09-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #18
the youngest has been

but then again what would i know im not ASE certified or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.