remove front ds axle from differential -98 Blazer - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

remove front ds axle from differential -98 Blazer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2002, 10:08 AM   #1

remove front ds axle from differential -98 Blazer

98 Blazer LS
How do I remove the front ds axle from the differential? I have everything removed and out of the way. The axle is hanging there. The 6 bolts that keep the flnge tight against the differential are out and the flange is loose but I can't seem to work the axle out. I tried pulling as hard as I could, no go. I tried tapping with a soft mallet, no go. In the manual it said something about new s10's ( I am asssuming mine is in this group 98+) have a ring keeping the axle in and toi tap it out with a soft mallet or piece of wood and a hammer. I tried tapping it pretty hard and nothing. I am just worried about breaking something. Can someone who has done it on a newer truck give me some tips?
Old 10-01-2002, 07:43 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
not sure of our trucks have em but some axles are machined for c-clips. u gotta pop the diff cover off and they are in a machined groove on the end of the axle shaft and u have to pull those out or else the axle aint moving. ive never taken apart a 10 bolt so im not sure
Old 10-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #3

I finally got the whole project done. I am not sure if I did it the "right" way, but I got it done. I will write a little bit of a how to so if anyone else is looking to do the exact same thing they can get some info here.

98 Blazer
Project: Replace upper and lower balljoints on drivers side, and replace axle seal in the flange on the differential.

1. Jack up truck
2. Put truck on jackstand
3. Remove the tire
4. Remove brake caliper(hang from truck with wire to make sure no pressure is on the brake line)
5. Remove brake caliper mounting bracket
6. Remove rotor
7. Remove axle nut
8. User puller to push axle through the hub/bearing assembly
9. Disconnect ABS sensor wire from frame rail and remove all wire holders.
10. Remove hub/bearing assembly by removeing the three bolts.

Lower balljoint-
1. Remove pin from lower balljoint bolt.
2. Loosen nut, but do not remove.
3. Use pickle fork or puller to loosen lower ball joint.
4. Drill out rivets on lower ball joint. Start with small bit and go to a bigger one. ( I didn't drill the way through the rivet, I put a punch down inside the hole and pounded down to push the ball joint off.)

Upper balljoint-
1. Remove pin from lower balljoint bolt.
2. Loosen nut, but do not remove.
3. Use pickle fork or puller to loosen upper ball joint.
4. Drill out rivets like the lower balljoint or use a grinder to grind of rivet heads. (more room on top to use a grinder)
Pry and pound old balljoint out.

Axle seal-
1. Drain front differential.
2. Remove the 6 flange bolts
3. Use a pry bar and pry the axle out of the differnetial (the axle is held into the differential by a snap ring) I had to pry pretty damn hard before it poped out.
4. Worm the axle out around the shock.
5. Remove the flange from the axle.
6. Place a large socket over the seal and pound out with a hammer.
7. Place new seal in flange and place a large socket over the seal and pound in with a hammer.
8. To keep the differential from getting dirty trying to put the unit back togehter whole, I put the flange on the differential first.
9. Take inner CV joint boot off - careful not to get dirt inside. Place the differential half of the axle into the differential and line up the splines and push it in.
10. Carefully slide the boot and cv back together and tighten the boot clamp.
11. Replace the balljoints and put everything back together.

Total time: 6 hours with some learning time in there.

I hope part of this will help someone out there. I know that when I started if I would have had this it would have help tremendously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.