Rear End Lube - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Rear End Lube

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Rear End Lube

I recently switched from Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30 in my 96 4.3L 155000Mi motor to Castrol Syntec5W30. I noticed it smoothed out the operation EXTREMELY!! I want to go synthetic in the tranny and rear end. What was the original weight and what not of the stock fluid in the rear end? I bought Valvoline synthetic 75W140 "high Performance" rear end oil. Any thoughts on tranny and rear end???
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
black culture thief?!

Re: Rear End Lube

that is something I want to know also! I want to run synthetic in the tranny and rear end!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by BigLarryT
I recently switched from Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30 in my 96 4.3L 155000Mi motor to Castrol Syntec5W30. I noticed it smoothed out the operation EXTREMELY!! I want to go synthetic in the tranny and rear end. What was the original weight and what not of the stock fluid in the rear end? I bought Valvoline synthetic 75W140 "high Performance" rear end oil. Any thoughts on tranny and rear end???
Noticed it that much huh? I have 131000 and i thought that it wasnt good to switch to syn oil?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
FWD's suck

i think stock is 75w95 wieght oil. the vavoline oil you bough is just a heavier oil. you can switch to sythetics anytime but you may get some small oil leaks. i switched to sythetics at 155,000 miles with no problems
Old 06-16-2004, 10:51 PM   #5

I used the mobile 1 75w-90
Old 06-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #6
Oooo. It's so tiny!

I run Amsoil in everything from my lawn tractor on up. I'm running their lube in both my car's diffs.

I use this one...

http://www.amsoil.com/products/agr.htm
Old 06-17-2004, 06:55 AM   #7

I did notice it that much. My motor jsut seemed to have a shake to it throughout the truck while idling and definetly during takeoff. I did my routine oil change and BAM!! The whole time it's running seems to be tons smoother(i.e. less shaking and vibration)!!

I was explained this a long time ago, back when i didn't give a shiat,...but,...what's the difference in the oil types. such as this is heavier this isn't. IT was said 75W90 is stock,...whats the differnce for 75W140? Not a good idea? GREAT idea go fot it?
I grabbed it cause it said hard running performance,..that kidna stuff. I'm a hard driver on vehicles so i want to put in great stuff and I have a 3.42-posi so I understand I need a lil extra care for those things.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
Nice Jorb

I'd stick with a synthetic of the proper weight. The 75W140 "High performance" is probably a conventional oil. I can highly reccomend Amsoil for the rear. It'll do 10 times better and last longer than the Valvoline stuff you've got (unless it's really a synthetic). Amsoil is top notch.

The heavier weight may actually hinder performance and mileage if the rear end don't get hot enough (which I seriously doubt). The lighter weight oil with take less force for the gears to go through and it will be easier for it to coat all of the important parts. I would not reccomend the heavier weight oil.

Quote:
grabbed it cause it said hard running performance,..that kidna stuff.
You've got to love marketing.....

Last edited by cavymeister; 06-17-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
Oooo. It's so tiny!

Quote: Originally Posted by cavymeister

You said that. I've got numerous links to sites showing all the lawsuits against the major oil companies for false claims. Same goes for oil additives. To find more BS than the in the oil industry, you'd have to visit a dairy farm.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:21 PM   #10

I'd stick with a synthetic of the proper weight. The 75W140 "High performance" is probably a conventional oil. I can highly reccomend Amsoil for the rear. It'll do 10 times better and last longer than the Valvoline stuff you've got (unless it's really a synthetic). Amsoil is top notch.

The heavier weight may actually hinder performance and mileage if the rear end don't get hot enough (which I seriously doubt). The lighter weight oil with take less force for the gears to go through and it will be easier for it to coat all of the important parts. I would not reccomend the heavier weight oil.

The only things i've ever really trusted were my own instincts,... Outlaw Fuel Additive,...(not cause Jr. endorses it but because I used it when it was cheap stuff and it worked then too!!) I rarely buy anything that suggest "performance" or hard working stuff. so that aside, I'm being told to go back and trade in my 75W140 for 75W90?? and amsoil is the best to ur recommendations? I'ver never really liked valvoline anyway but it's waht they had on hand.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
DooR DraggeR

I've heard tons of great things about Amsoil too. & agree w/ the weight 75W90 for a street driven truck. It'd probably really really suck if you had the 75W140 in there & tried driving in the winter! or any cold spring/ fall day here in the Midwest - that stuff probably turns to near setup concrete when it's cold.......can't imagine.

Any of the "name brand" syn. gear lubes should be fine. Mobile 1 or Amsoil to name a couple. Check w/ Summit Racing or Jegs - could be cheaper $$ than local stores.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #12
Nice Jorb

Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil1, even the Valvoline Synthetic would be better than any conventional oil. Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are the top of the line ones though. When I redo my rear I'm putting amsoil in it for sure. I hate to spend all the time, money, and effort to just put the cheap stuff in. Ya know?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #13
Oooo. It's so tiny!

Plus when you use AMSOIL or another synthetic, it's just that much longer until you have to do it again. In case anyone's curious, you can buy AMSOIL online at www.amsoil.com or if you're gonna buy at least $100 a year in AMSOIL, PM me and I'll explain their preferred customer program and the discounts you get with it.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:52 AM   #14

Mobile 1 75/90 is what you want in your rear end. If it is cold where you are at ever it may take a while to get to operating temp too. I have mobile 1 in the engine-tranny-& rear. Made a large difference in noise smoothness & performance, but it really takes all of them working together for the performance aspect. Make sure you drain your tranny completely by flushing it or you will have to drop the pan 3 times to get a full blend in there. The tranny will shift 10 times faster & smoother. Gets rid of the sluggish feel.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:22 AM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by 03 SS
Make sure you drain your tranny completely by flushing it or you will have to drop the pan 3 times to get a full blend in there. The tranny will shift 10 times faster & smoother. Gets rid of the sluggish feel.
Others have told me to "flush" the tranny. Exactly how would I go about "flushing" everything out?? I'm a plumber so I know flushing BUT I've never tried it with a vehicle. Are you telling me to run a few extra bottles of tranny fluid throught he system while it's open???
Old 06-18-2004, 07:34 AM   #16
Road Race/Auto X S10

Quote: Originally Posted by wayned
Noticed it that much huh? I have 131000 and i thought that it wasnt good to switch to syn oil?
I dont know if its been posted already but here it is:

From what I know, its not bad to switch to synthetic. The reason people start finding oil leaks with synthetic is because its alot more (I dont know the word) thinner? It can get thru those little areas better than reg oil. But last longer and helps the engine run alot smoother!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:46 AM   #17
Oooo. It's so tiny!

Others have told me to "flush" the tranny. Exactly how would I go about "flushing" everything out?? I'm a plumber so I know flushing BUT I've never tried it with a vehicle. Are you telling me to run a few extra bottles of tranny fluid throught he system while it's open???
When you normally change the fluid, you don't change all that fluid that's in the torque converter and cooling lines. Flushing is changing all the fluid. If you want to flush it yourself, you can pull one of the lines going to the radiator and let it pump out then refill the system with new fluid. You still need to change the filter in it though. Good time to switch to synthetic fluid too.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #18
black culture thief?!

How much lube would my rear end hold? It is a 3.08 open diff and I believe that it is an 8.5 inch 10 bolt rear end. Anyone?
Old 06-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #19

Buy two of the bottles. Fill it to the bottom of the filler hole.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by 96s10
I dont know if its been posted already but here it is:

From what I know, its not bad to switch to synthetic. The reason people start finding oil leaks with synthetic is because its alot more (I dont know the word) thinner? It can get thru those little areas better than reg oil. But last longer and helps the engine run alot smoother!
I've got a 4.3L w/155000Miles on it,...I've heard that the engine is a good call, the rear end doesn't matter unless it's all three changes,...the tranny may cause problems because unless you've changed the fluid regularly all the detergents in the new fuild will cause the crud build up to break loose and hurt the tranny?? Anyone else heard this?? It's from a very reliable source(my dad a mechanic for 35 years so I trust his logic 95%)
Old 06-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #21
Nice Jorb

Oh yeah.. if tranny fluid has never been changed, changing after 100,000 miles could VERY easliy do more harm than good.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #22

Oh yeah.. if tranny fluid has never been changed, changing after 100,000 miles could VERY easliy do more harm than good.
Is there anyway to prevent or help the tranny from breaking if I put the new juice in it? I'd hate to have to f'ck with the tranny at this point in da game,...
Old 06-20-2004, 12:50 AM   #23
Nice Jorb

Well... If the trans is running just fine with the fluid in it, just leave it be. It's better to keep it maintained, but if it wasn't and you've got a BUNCH of miles on it, you would probably be better off without doing a thing.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #24
black culture thief?!

I just bought 2 quarts of Valvoline 80w-90 gear oil, since my cover is leaking and I want to replace that gasket also. My question is the my repair manual says that the cover has a fill/drain plug in it but mine doesn't have one. I know how to drain it obviously, but how do I fill it back up? I am gonna go climb under there and look right now.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #25
black culture thief?!

Nevermind, I found it on the right side of the pumpkin close to the driveshaft.

Last edited by truckramrod; 06-20-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #26
DooR DraggeR

I've got a 4.3L w/155000Miles on it,...I've heard that the engine is a good call, the rear end doesn't matter unless it's all three changes,...the tranny may cause problems because unless you've changed the fluid regularly all the detergents in the new fuild will cause the crud build up to break loose and hurt the tranny?? Anyone else heard this?? It's from a very reliable source(my dad a mechanic for 35 years so I trust his logic 95%)
This ver well could happen, but after it's been flushed & the new filter & fluid has been replaced it just makes sense to keep an eye (or ear) on how it's performing any way.

[/Quote]Oh yeah.. if tranny fluid has never been changed, changing after 100,000 miles could VERY easliy do more harm than good.[/Quote]

If you weren't the owner from day 1 - it's not a bad idea to have the tranny filter replaced @ a minimum & most of the fluid will be retained since the converter will still be partially full. Once done w/ the filter replacement just top it off a little @ a time. But I've NEVER heard of anyone doing a "back yard" "shade tree" tranny flush by pumping out all the fluid....do you realize what that would do?!?!? That tranny would be smoked!

Just take the thing in to have it flushed & replace the filter. & if it acts up after that take it back in to flush it again. Simple as that. No harm done......

jmho, so take it for what ever it's worth......

Eric
Old 06-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #27
black culture thief?!

Would you recommend changing the fluid in a 5 sp manual transmission @ 108,000 miles if it's possibly never been done before?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #28
DooR DraggeR

hmmmmm
that's a good question.......& I'm sure debatable as well.....I don't see what it could hurt so long you replace it w/ the right fluids....some (tranny's by other manufacturers) used a light gear lube while others used auto tranny fluid - just be sure to use the right stuff....I think yours would be ATF, but double check that w/ a service manual or local dealer or trans shop.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:03 PM   #29

Quote: Originally Posted by truckramrod
Would you recommend changing the fluid in a 5 sp manual transmission @ 108,000 miles if it's possibly never been done before?
Manual transmissions generally don't require fluid changes, ever. Usually the only maintenance is to top off the fluid level if it's low.

The reason there is such a big difference between manual and automatic trannies is because:
1. Automatics create a lot more heat in the transmission due to they way they work. They have clutches and slippage which generate heat.
2. Automatics build pressure in the fluid which causes it to break down eventually. This is part of the process they use to shift from one gear to another. Because manuals are obviously manually shifted, they are not designed to build up any fluid pressure.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #30

Anyone know what fluid/adative to use in the factory posi rear for a 98 extended cab, V6?

Thanks,

Mjd01
Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #31
Nice Jorb

Quote: Originally Posted by shorty
If you weren't the owner from day 1 - it's not a bad idea to have the tranny filter replaced @ a minimum & most of the fluid will be retained since the converter will still be partially full. Once done w/ the filter replacement just top it off a little @ a time. But I've NEVER heard of anyone doing a "back yard" "shade tree" tranny flush by pumping out all the fluid....do you realize what that would do?!?!? That tranny would be smoked!

Just take the thing in to have it flushed & replace the filter. & if it acts up after that take it back in to flush it again. Simple as that. No harm done......

jmho, so take it for what ever it's worth......

Eric
We flushed out all of the conventional Dex3 and put amsoil in my buddies C1500 with a 700R4 and his mom was mad cause it shifted better than her Lexus. So it's possible to flush it yourself. If you'd like me to explain how to do it, I can.

If you flush out the trans, and it starts slipping, you should take it back and have them flush it again? Not good logic. Automatics are a lot more pickey about their fluid that manuals. The transmission gets used to the broken down fluid. If you introduce fresh fluid (mainly from a flush) into a neglected transmission, you are likely to have issues. A filter change with just topping off from there would probably be OK, but I make no warranties.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #32
Nice Jorb

Quote: Originally Posted by truckramrod
It's not necessary. But if it were me, I'd change it out. 100k+ miles can build up some gunk, even in a closed system. If you can find a synthetic version of the stock fluid, it's a worthwhile upgrade. It'll increase gas mileage and power that the wheels put down. When you reduce friction, you increase efficency.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #33
Nice Jorb

Quote: Originally Posted by mjd01
Anyone know what fluid/adative to use in the factory posi rear for a 98 extended cab, V6?

Thanks,

Mjd01
If it's the same as the 02, and 03, which I believe it is, then no. Get the slickest 75w90 you can find!!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 AM   #34
DooR DraggeR

We flushed out all of the conventional Dex3 and put amsoil in my buddies C1500 with a 700R4 and his mom was mad cause it shifted better than her Lexus. So it's possible to flush it yourself. If you'd like me to explain how to do it, I can.

If you flush out the trans, and it starts slipping, you should take it back and have them flush it again? Not good logic. Automatics are a lot more pickey about their fluid that manuals. The transmission gets used to the broken down fluid. If you introduce fresh fluid (mainly from a flush) into a neglected transmission, you are likely to have issues. A filter change with just topping off from there would probably be OK, but I make no warranties.
Ok, how are you doing this d.i.y. flush? My K1500 work truck w/ the 700R4 could be my guinee pig...:thumbup:

So if you do a flush & fill on an abused trans & it starts slipping, you blame the fluid? & not the clutch packs? or the converter? or something else? I'm not a tranny expert by any means, so help a brother out... My Dad claims this too, saying that replacing the fluid is bad, but I just figured it was old logic- he claimed that the old fluid had not only broken down but also had very small metal particles that actually helped it.....sounds insane to me, but his brother the mechanic for 30+ yrs musta convinced him of this years ago....I still don't understand the reasoning behind not replacing the fluid.........
Old 06-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #35
black culture thief?!

Yeah I just want to make my truck last longer, especially since my clutch is a PITA, it is sorta hard to disengage so I have grinded reverse more than a few times, so I would be running cleaner fluid though it anyways. The repair manual says to change the manual tranny lubricant every 30,000 miles or 24 months. The manual also specifies a certain GM Synchromesh lubricant. I am going to check the price at the dealer soon.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #36
DooR DraggeR

Has anyone heard of Royal Purple Synthetics? Good? Bad?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:30 AM   #37

Very Good!!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:16 AM   #38
PRG

Quote: Originally Posted by otherd
When you normally change the fluid, you don't change all that fluid that's in the torque converter and cooling lines. Flushing is changing all the fluid. If you want to flush it yourself, you can pull one of the lines going to the radiator and let it pump out then refill the system with new fluid. You still need to change the filter in it though. Good time to switch to synthetic fluid too.
Hey-Hey, that's what we just had Midas do to the family car. On our previous car, the goofs at the local mechanic shop over-tightened the gasket when changing the tranny flud and we subsequently lost all the fluid and stripped out the 1st gear. On the new car, we hauled it in to Midas and the manager suggested what you just said, albeit with a flushing additive. He said that he refused to ever touch the gaskets on transmission pans. The way that your describing, he claimed would clear probably 4 times as much fluid as a simple drain/filter/gasket transmission service.Supposedly the flush additive removes the debris that sits under the filter, so you can get away without changing it (since it's really just a screen). It ran around $120 at Midas, but the transmission shifts great and don't have any leaks so far.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:44 PM   #39
faster than the slowest

best oil/lube on market is AMSOIL

i run mobil 1 10w30 syn. motor oil, but run 75w90 AMSOIL rear end lube and a special AMSOIL syn. ATF in my manual trans instead of syncromesh
just cant afford AMSOIL motor oil for a change every 4000 miles, if i could it would be in there.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:18 PM   #40

So manual transmisions only need to be topped off

I've got 5 spd with 49,500 miles on it, wonder if I should top it off now, wait a few months when I have the money or just try to come up with the money now and change it.. I definatly know the rear end is gonna get changed in anohter 1 - 3 months.. GOing through alot of changes in life right now, hard to do anything right now..
Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #41
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by nug@dvstc
best oil/lube on market is AMSOIL

i run mobil 1 10w30 syn. motor oil, but run 75w90 AMSOIL rear end lube and a special AMSOIL syn. ATF in my manual trans instead of syncromesh
just cant afford AMSOIL motor oil for a change every 4000 miles, if i could it would be in there.
Synthetic ATF instead of the recommended syncromesh fluid, have you noticed any difference? I've had a small leak at the tranny seal for a while on my nv3500 and recently replaced the seal and changed the tranny fluid for the hell of it, I was looking at other types of fluids but I remember a few places cautioned to not use anything but the synchromesh specifically designed for the tranny.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 PM   #42

if you do need to top off/mess with the manual transmission, its suppose to use a synthetic oil anyway "synchromesh" i found a version of this at autozone, $5 a quart yellow bottle.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:37 PM   #43
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by 97 4.3s-10
if you do need to top off/mess with the manual transmission, its suppose to use a synthetic oil anyway "synchromesh" i found a version of this at autozone, $5 a quart yellow bottle.
I don't believe the "syn" part of synchromesh stands for synthetic, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:16 AM   #44
"factory freak"...

its far more likely that the old fluid will hasten the demise of a tranny than fresh fluid will.... dont fall prey to this ridiculous myth...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:38 AM   #45

Is there anyway to prevent or help the tranny from breaking if I put the new juice in it? I'd hate to have to f'ck with the tranny at this point in da game,...
You can purchase an auxiliary filter kit from Jeg's.com which would help keep alot of the loose stuff out of the transmission fluid
Old 08-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #46
faster than the slowest

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK
Synthetic ATF instead of the recommended syncromesh fluid, have you noticed any difference? I've had a small leak at the tranny seal for a while on my nv3500 and recently replaced the seal and changed the tranny fluid for the hell of it, I was looking at other types of fluids but I remember a few places cautioned to not use anything but the synchromesh specifically designed for the tranny.
yes syncromesh, is basically a syn ATF w/ special additives for the materials used in the manual tranny

i used AMSOIL because its basically the same thing, but has a higher tolerance to heat and fluid brake down.

i work for a w/c race team and all we use is AMSOIL in everything- the best
i have not had any problems so far w/ the fluid change, im just trying to squeeze every last bit of friction out that i can
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #47
PRG

This may sound silly, but would using magnets on the bottom of the transmissionn pan help keep some of the metallic crud stuck to the bottom where it belongs?
Old 08-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #48
black culture thief?!

not all metal shavings in trannys are ferrous or magnetic so aluminium won't stick to a magnet.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #49
Black SS

Quote: Originally Posted by PRG
This may sound silly, but would using magnets on the bottom of the transmissionn pan help keep some of the metallic crud stuck to the bottom where it belongs?
They do put magnets in the bottom of the tranmission pans, even manual trans. Just drop the pan and you will see the crud, a little is normal. If you see metal chunk particles, you got a problem.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #50
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

I changed my rear and front differential fluids at the beginning of the year at a lube place called Zap Lube. I am looking at the receipt right now and it seems like they used Castrol 80W90 GL5 oil for both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.