#1 ·
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56

G80 - locking differential

compare to the codes in your glove box to know which gear ratio you have :)

#106 ·
I believe that this is the wrong sticker to be looking at to find the numbers ur looking for. But don't know about everyone but mine is located on the bottom side of the glove compartment. Is it possible ur sticker has been pulled or something?

#109 ·
Just a bit of clarification about the "locking differential" in GM trucks:

It is dubbed "Gov Lock"

It should *not* be confused with a GM car-type "PosiTraction" unit. They are two different designs all together. A "Posi" uses clutches pushed together by an "S" shaped spring to get the friction between the clutch packs.

The truck unit is in fact a locker.

It gets it's nickname from it being developed for government-vehicle use. GM supplied many 4X4 truck to the US military, but the government mandated a locking differential be employed. To reduce costs in the long term, they colaborated with the Eaton Corp. to produce a locker with open differential characteristics, but full-on locking capabilities. It is a complicated diff unit, much more so than normal gear actuated lockers. It acts as a weak limited slip, until a predetermined amount of difference is achieved, then the unit locks by using a series of centrifugaly(SP?)-activated springs that allow levers to move into position to their coresponding vallies in the diff-thus providing full lock up.

A regular locker (Detroit Locker, EZ Locker, Lock Right, Etc.) uses torque from the driveshaft to lock the diff. What happens here is the driveshaft applies torque to the pinion, the pinion to the ring gear, and the ring gear to the carrier, carrier to the carrier pin. When this force is applied, the carrier pin "loads" the gearset of the locker, putting outward pressure on the inner gears, pushing them outwards onto the outer gears (keep in mind that this is all happening *inside* the carrier). When no force is applied, the gears will slip past one another, and the result is the characteristic "clicking" sounds you'd get while rounding a corner. This allows some differentiation of the tires, and significantly reduces tire wear (unlike the welded diff I run:cool: ).

So, in essence, some of you are right, and some of you are wrong. The term "Limited Slip" does not really apply in this case.

Now, welcome me to the boards. I'll be getting a '95 S-10 4X4 tomorrow, and I've already got a '92 GMC Jimmy:D -Later!

#112 ·
seanchim said:
I want to run 18 or 20 inch wheels on my 03 ext cab 2.2. Now Im being told that I will lose horsepower because of thesize of the wheel swap, but that I can make it up by swapping the gears in the rear end. Now I know that I currently have the 4:10 now, can anyone help with what a better gear ratio would be to regain the lost horsepower?
I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't mind swapping out rearends to get things even.

#114 ·
Here you go!
Don't forget to get an ACCURATE measurement of the tires you will be using vs. an accurate measurement of your current tires. Use the "specific gear" calculator to figure out what you'll need to get (just keep trying different ratios until you get to the closest set-IE:4.27,4.56,4.88,etc.). And also remember that if you have a 5 speed that the overdrive gear is approximately "0.75", so enter that as the specific gear to get an accurate highway RPM calculation.:thumbup:

http://ringpinion.com/content/calculators/RPM.asp

#120 ·
mryanpilarski said:
How come i have a 1996 Chevy S10 with the 2.2L and i have limited slip?

I have tested it...in snow, the power shifts between wheels on the rear axle. I had my brother nail it at a stand still on ice, and the power shifted from left, to right, to left, to right, till it grabbed
thas not a locker, limited slip, or whatever the hell you want to call it. thas an open rear end. no locker. if it was a true locker or limited slip then both wheels would spin at the SAME time.

#121 ·
birdgears said:
4bangn, the 7.5" ring rearend you have will eventually break with 450hp v8. especially if you get on it alot. they put it in f-bodies, but it's only made to take about 300hp or so.

try to find one out of a zr2. those are 8.5 ring. not sure of the ratio, but it will bolt up. otherwise, you can put anything you want in there with enough work and/or $$'s.

sign_in_name, you are basically correct, except that limited slip transfers power to the wheel with the MOST traction, not the least. if it was otherwise, the tire with no traction would just spin 'till it gives up the ghost, and you would be stuck in that mudhole. i'm sure you knew that, and just wrote it backwards, but for those others reading, it's power to traction, not power to slippage. the best advantage of a limited slip over a full time locker is cornering. when you take a corner, the outer wheel takes more revolutions to get around the bend. you really don't need positraction (limited slip) for regular street driving, unless you tend to have a heavy foot, and spin one wheel, or you just like the look of a true burnout. one wheel burnouts dont count.

"never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by stupidity"-anon-

click if you hate pidgeons : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/chuu/Trucs/Final_Bird.mpg
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. there is nothing that could be more wrong about the ZR2 8.5. it WILL NOT bolt up in a 2WD. it is 8 inches wider than a 2WD rearend. even the regular 4X4's rearend it 4 inches wider than a 2WD. DO NOT DO THIS. it will only cause you time and lots of head aches when your wheels stick 4 inches out on either side. dont do it. http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=990

#124 ·
droppedforlife said:
how can i tell the difference btwn a 7.5 rear end and a 7.625 rear end? if it involves crawling under the truck to measure then what you do measure? only need the info to order lsd/posi. thanks.

chris
1994 and newer had the 75/8 (7.625)

#126 ·
pnut420 said:
I have a 2001 sonoma V6 with 3:42:1 with limited slip, It spins both tires on the pavement all the time, but a few times in the mud and snow only one tire was really spinning good
Okay, heres a small break down for you. A traditional limited slip, only one tire drives. When there's a torque difference both tires will kick in and run. What might be happening is when your on slippery surfaces it might think your just cornering if one tire is spinning really good and the other is spinning just a bit is it? Now I have installed An eaton "limited slip-posi" This differential acts as a posi traction (both tires drive all the time) but breaks free a lot easier and sooner if there is more torque than just a straight posi. See in lockers both are locked all the time and will not want to let go and you will most likely break an axle before it will let go, posi... will come close if you run high power and are an every day driver and take hard corners with your foot into it. Now a lot of new GM's and chevrolet if you want to label them both are using Auburn Limited slips. (which is what is in my front axle) This one acts as single drive until the tire slips a certain amount (Gm's term is actually Gov lock or whatever) but a lil centrifical clutch will catch and engage and drive both tires. Im not sure what year they started to actively use these, but I know a friend with a highrider, 01' and it has one. hope it helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.