#1 ·
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56

G80 - locking differential

compare to the codes in your glove box to know which gear ratio you have :)

#53 ·
3rdCoastCrawlin said:
Ok, my RPO code says that I have a 3.08Ratio (GU4) , but I can smoke both tires, and this is straight from the factory, so does this mean I have a limited slip. I have a 99 Extended Cab LS with the 4.3
no it does not always mean you have limited slip. Be warned when rear ends are going out both tires will begin to spin most people like this but dont know that their spider gears in the pumkin are binding up causeing a great deal of strain.

#55 · (Edited)
on my 89' s10 blazer 4.3l 4x4. in the glove box on the second row of codes the last 3 sets of codes read:
GQ1 GU6 G80
So Im asuming Its the GU6(3.42) and a locker(G80). So what does GQ1 stand for cause It can't stand for a ratio cause you cant have 2. Is one of them the t-case ratio?
The reason I think the GU6 is a ratio code is cause every almost everyone ahs stated they have something other than GQ1 as there ratio(i'm not saying they don't have that code just that they probly found one of the axle codes on the first list ) the other codes follow sequence GU2,GU4,GU6...GT4,GT5... AND ONLY ONE GQ, the GQ1. so I think its another drive train option that someone has mistaken for a ratio code. question is what does it stand for? if it wasn't saturday night id call the dealer. :dunno:

#59 ·
ok ya'll. none of ya'lls trucks have a locker, unless under any given condition, both rear tires spin. limited slip is a term when power is transfered to the wheel with less traction. if each tire has equal traction(or somewhere close) then both tires will transfer power. a true locker locks both rear tires under all conditions. ask any educated person in the offroad world, and they will back me up on this. they are the ones who know everything about lockers. they are the ones who basically came up with the idea of a locker. a locker does exactly what it says, locks the tires together. and there are different kinds of lockers, full time lockers, air lockers, or gearless lockers. some trucks come with gearless lockers(which are crap).

#60 · (Edited)
4bangn, the 7.5" ring rearend you have will eventually break with 450hp v8. especially if you get on it alot. they put it in f-bodies, but it's only made to take about 300hp or so.

try to find one out of a zr2. those are 8.5 ring. not sure of the ratio, but it will bolt up. otherwise, you can put anything you want in there with enough work and/or $$'s.

sign_in_name, you are basically correct, except that limited slip transfers power to the wheel with the MOST traction, not the least. if it was otherwise, the tire with no traction would just spin 'till it gives up the ghost, and you would be stuck in that mudhole. i'm sure you knew that, and just wrote it backwards, but for those others reading, it's power to traction, not power to slippage. the best advantage of a limited slip over a full time locker is cornering. when you take a corner, the outer wheel takes more revolutions to get around the bend. you really don't need positraction (limited slip) for regular street driving, unless you tend to have a heavy foot, and spin one wheel, or you just like the look of a true burnout. one wheel burnouts dont count.

"never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by stupidity"-anon-

click if you hate pidgeons : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/chuu/Trucs/Final_Bird.mpg

#61 ·
i got a form from gm that states that i have the limited slip rear-end which makes sence considering that my truck had the towing pkg. and a 5 speed, but it says gt4 in the glove and i know its a limited slip cause when i go to the track and go straight its always 2 wheels, can somebody explain cause my story has been contricted somewhere above... ???????

#62 · (Edited)
sign_in_name51 said:
ok ya'll. none of ya'lls trucks have a locker, unless under any given condition, both rear tires spin. limited slip is a term when power is transfered to the wheel with less traction. if each tire has equal traction(or somewhere close) then both tires will transfer power. a true locker locks both rear tires under all conditions. ask any educated person in the offroad world, and they will back me up on this. they are the ones who know everything about lockers. they are the ones who basically came up with the idea of a locker. a locker does exactly what it says, locks the tires together. and there are different kinds of lockers, full time lockers, air lockers, or gearless lockers. some trucks come with gearless lockers(which are crap).
ok chill out! I haven't taken apart my rear end yet but it is a g80. and you can get lockers on chevy trucks whether or not there as good as a detroit locker is one thing. for one thing it is listed as a locker by gm, than more than likly it is. other wise don't you think they would just call it a lsd then? another thing i was reading a service bulleton on my truck and one of them was for delayed rear LOCKER engagment( rpo code g80) it states that this is caused by the use of lsd additive in the LOCKER. to fix it you drain the fluid and fill with 80w-90 gear oil. it also states not to use lsd additives because the g80(LOCKING rear diff.) is a LOCKER and NOT a Limited Slip Differential(lsd):finger: :bowtie:

#63 · (Edited)
so what size is the ring gear? 7.5 or 8.5?

I sure hope I got the correct diff... Got a Zexel unit waiting to be put in, just looking for a diff cover and the greese to get the pattern.

Is the inside diameter of the ring gear the same on a 7.5 and a 8.5 diff?

#64 ·
I am lucky enough to be blessed with the covetted 3.08. lol. My 99 x is a 4.3 auto with the 3.08. But im kinda happy with that, just means i can get more acceleration by throwing a different rear gearing on there because i can only go up.

#67 ·
Beasthead2 said:
Me and the OEM's consider the g80 gov-lock a locker. The industry may sometimes use the term "limited slip" when selling you a car, to mean any kind of traction device in general. Be it a locker, limited slip, or computer traction control. The true term evolved to mean non locking differentials, with friction plates to "limit" slip instead of prevent slip. A limited slip gives alot of resistance to differential action at all speeds and at all times, and never locks.
This leaves the definition of locker to mean a device that completely locks the diff at some time. The g80 gov lock locks completely 100% when it does lock. The only reason an aftermarket locker is different is because they lock with any slight difference in torque between the wheels, while the gov-lock locks due to a significant difference in wheel speed between the two wheels. So the gov lock will spin some before it locks. I think the gov lock is supposed to give a little resistance before it locks with friction plates, but not nearly as much as a limited slip. Mine has worn down to where it has no resistance at all until it locks completely.

Call it "inferior","not a locker", "a posi", call it whatever you want'; but it is simply bad English to call this, strictly, a "limited slip"

Unless you're saying "limited slip" to include all lockers because it is true that something that completely prevents slip also limits it. But thats like saying a full glass is also 1/2 full because it has 1/2 full plus the other 2nd half.
Thats why in our neck of the woods we refer to the Gov-Loc as a "Spin locker".

#69 ·
How come i have a 1996 Chevy S10 with the 2.2L and i have limited slip?

I have tested it...in snow, the power shifts between wheels on the rear axle. I had my brother nail it at a stand still on ice, and the power shifted from left, to right, to left, to right, till it grabbed

#71 ·
v6 auto normal tranny = 3.42
v6 5 speed = 3.08
v4 5 speed = 4.10
v4 auto = 4.10

#73 ·
This G80 locker/posi/limited slip stuff has been gone over 5 billion times. it is neither a locker nor a limited slip, it is a POS...no really it isnt either one, its a hybrid of both. it contains clutches and springs like a limited slip, but it also has a cam mechanism, that when the clutches engage, that cam "lobe" slides over and locks up those clutch plates so its fully locked up, like a locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.