#1 ·
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56

G80 - locking differential

compare to the codes in your glove box to know which gear ratio you have :)

#28 ·
Alanky
i too have that gq1 , need to get more info cause i just got the pick up on the weekend its a 91 5speed with a 2,5 tbi!
can you post the next code after that...i have a scratch there so hard reading....(??4) the 4 is for sure the first digits are ??

#30 ·
Thats right.

#32 ·
Black Dragon said:
which trucks usually come with 3.42 from the factory ????
Mine! :bawl: :bawl: :cry: :cry:

I want better mileage!

#33 ·
3.08 with an open rear..that sucks. I wonder if I can find a quaife type diff for my truck. Anyone know if a company makes a lsd with all gears..(no clutches or cones to wear out)?

#422 ·
3.08 with an open rear..that sucks. I wonder if I can find a quaife type diff for my truck. Anyone know if a company makes a lsd with all gears..(no clutches or cones to wear out)?
Powertrax makes a LSD for open diffs called NO Slip. You don't even have to remove the assembly to install. I think the vid says only takes like 45 mins. You remove the spider gears and slide it into place. That is what I am going to buy for my 97 Sonoma 4.3 5-speed. It's a 3.08 with the ZQ8 package. Engine has some mods and I am tired of buying right rear tires lol! Falken 245 50 16s are getting expensive lol!

#34 ·
My 1991 2wd Sonoma with 4.3 TBI, 4spd auto has a 3.42 in the rear (for now..heh heh).

#35 ·
are these codes the same in the full size trucks????

#36 ·
3.73 parts on a 3.42??

Hey everyone.

Okay, I need to replace the rear driver side axle on my truck, and I'd like to know if the axle in my 3.42 is the same as the one in a 3.73.

I can't check the glove box at this time for my truck's codes, but I can tell you that it's a 98 s10 extended cab with a 4.3 V6. I THINK it's a 3.42, but I'm not positive about that.

Also, if I read the earlier posts right (yeah...I'm a newbie at drivetrain tech), if I decided to change out my rear end with the 3.73, that would make my truck faster, but less efficient on gas?

Any "helpful" comments would be appreciated.

Any flames..well, they'd be duly noted. ;)

#38 ·
there are two different types of axles used. the number of splines that fit into the spyder gears make the difference. all other spec's are the same. to find a posi, limited, locker, try light line of Louisiana. they have fairly diecent prices. www.lightlineofla.com.

#198 ·
Just wanted to update this sticky.

On 98-01 Blazers 7 5/8 ring gear, 28 SPLINE, the length of the axle is 26 3/8".

On 98-01 S10/S15 Trucks 7 5/8 ring gear , 28 spline, the length of the axle is 26 5/8". I had to learn this the hard way.

there are two different types of axles used. the number of splines that fit into the spyder gears make the difference. all other spec's are the same. to find a posi, limited, locker, try light line of Louisiana. they have fairly diecent prices. www.lightlineofla.com.

#39 ·
Differentials

Ok here is a rundown of the different cabs and engine combos for differentials. I found this out just by building an s-10 on chevy.com

2.2 4cyl- regular cab LS - manual tranny/3.73
auto tranny/4.10

extended cab LS- manual tranny/4.10
auto tranny/4.10

regular cab xtreme- manual tranny/3.73
auto tranny/4.10

extended cab xtreme- manual tranny/4.10
auto tranny/4.10

4.3 6cyl- regular cab LS- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

extended cab LS- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

regular cab xtreme- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

extended cab xtreme- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

Positraction is not available on the 4cyl engines

Positraction is available on either the 6cyl manual or automatic transmissions. I didnt get it in mine, darn it I should of ordered one. Ah crap... oh well, better luck some other time. arrrrrr

ANYWAY ENJOY, IM SURE ALMOST EVERYONE IN HERE WILL

#194 ·
Re: Differentials

Ok here is a rundown of the different cabs and engine combos for differentials. I found this out just by building an s-10 on chevy.com

2.2 4cyl- regular cab LS - manual tranny/3.73
auto tranny/4.10

extended cab LS- manual tranny/4.10
auto tranny/4.10

regular cab xtreme- manual tranny/3.73
auto tranny/4.10

extended cab xtreme- manual tranny/4.10
auto tranny/4.10

4.3 6cyl- regular cab LS- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

extended cab LS- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

regular cab xtreme- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

extended cab xtreme- manual tranny/3.08
auto tranny/3.42

Positraction is not available on the 4cyl engines

Positraction is available on either the 6cyl manual or automatic transmissions. I didnt get it in mine, darn it I should of ordered one. Ah crap... oh well, better luck some other time. arrrrrr

ANYWAY ENJOY, IM SURE ALMOST EVERYONE IN HERE WILL

now this says my truck being a 2.2 5spd is a 3:73 but the first post in this thread says the code GT5 is the 4:10 and that is the code i have. so which do i got?

#41 ·
I have the 3.42's and the locker, but my question is this:

When does the locker actually "lock" and how can you tell if it is or not, because mine sure feels like it's engaged all the time. I've never heard any stock truck with as loud of drivetrain as these 03' with lockers. Mines a five speed and maybe it's just a loud tranny? But 1st and 2nd gear are LOUD. Does the locker "lock" when you shift down to slow down?

thanks
John

#42 ·
John Hammer said:
I have the 3.42's and the locker, but my question is this:

When does the locker actually "lock" and how can you tell if it is or not, because mine sure feels like it's engaged all the time. I've never heard any stock truck with as loud of drivetrain as these 03' with lockers. Mines a five speed and maybe it's just a loud tranny? But 1st and 2nd gear are LOUD. Does the locker "lock" when you shift down to slow down?

thanks
John
The locker locks up when it senses a difference in the rate at which the rear wheels turn. Say you take off from a stop while making a right turn. The inside rear tire is gonna spin, right? A locker would cause the outside tire to spin, too. If both are spinning at the same speed, then the locker will not lock up.

On an unrelated note, it looks like I have the GT4 code in my '98 Blazer 4-door, and the G80. So I have 3.73 gears and a locker, right? I thought only the ZR2s came with the 3.73s though....

#46 ·
i got GT4-3.73.

#48 ·
never mind the my last post. i found it out. i have a gu4 code. its a 3.08 rear axle ratio.

so taller gears get better gas mileage. what short gears do?

#49 ·
faster acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.