#1 ·
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56

G80 - locking differential

compare to the codes in your glove box to know which gear ratio you have :)

#5 ·
Mine says GQ1 :confused: I have been to a few places and nobody seems to know my gear ratio, So I guess I'm an odd ball. I may be looking at the wrong thing? :confused: but I doubt it. If anyone knows what I have let me know! It is a 1984 S-10 Sport.

Im thinking it may be 4:10 or something around there, because it turns VERY high RPMS and gets horrible Gas milage with the V8.

#12 ·
Alanky said:
Mine says GQ1 :confused: I have been to a few places and nobody seems to know my gear ratio, So I guess I'm an odd ball. I may be looking at the wrong thing? :confused: but I doubt it. If anyone knows what I have let me know! It is a 1984 S-10 Sport.

Im thinking it may be 4:10 or something around there, because it turns VERY high RPMS and gets horrible Gas milage with the V8.
G80 = LIMITED SLIP DIFF
2.73 = GU2
3.08 = GU4
3.42 = GU6
3.73 = GT4, GQ1
4.10 = GT5

#14 ·
OKAY THIS IS WAT IS SAW INMY GLOVE BOX BY THE RPO CODE......THERE IS NO G80 IN THERE FOR THE POSI REAR....BUT Y AROUND TURNS AND IN THE RAIN AND ON DIRT DO I MOST OF THE TIME GET 2 TIRES........AND WHERE IS THE WEB SITE OR PHNE # TO GET A LOCKER AND HOW MUCH......THANKS AGIAN GUYS

#15 ·
Me and the OEM's consider the g80 gov-lock a locker. The industry may sometimes use the term "limited slip" when selling you a car, to mean any kind of traction device in general. Be it a locker, limited slip, or computer traction control. The true term evolved to mean non locking differentials, with friction plates to "limit" slip instead of prevent slip. A limited slip gives alot of resistance to differential action at all speeds and at all times, and never locks.
This leaves the definition of locker to mean a device that completely locks the diff at some time. The g80 gov lock locks completely 100% when it does lock. The only reason an aftermarket locker is different is because they lock with any slight difference in torque between the wheels, while the gov-lock locks due to a significant difference in wheel speed between the two wheels. So the gov lock will spin some before it locks. I think the gov lock is supposed to give a little resistance before it locks with friction plates, but not nearly as much as a limited slip. Mine has worn down to where it has no resistance at all until it locks completely.

Call it "inferior","not a locker", "a posi", call it whatever you want'; but it is simply bad English to call this, strictly, a "limited slip"

Unless you're saying "limited slip" to include all lockers because it is true that something that completely prevents slip also limits it. But thats like saying a full glass is also 1/2 full because it has 1/2 full plus the other 2nd half.

#16 ·
which trucks usually come with 3.42 from the factory ????

#18 ·
What'dya get in first like 45mph lol

#19 ·
Black Dragon:

I just picked up a rear axle from a 87 GMC S15 4x4, the codes in the glove box were GU6 and G80. I understand this means 3:42's Posi. I believe this is a factory option in most of these trucks. I just got this from the scrapyard. Hope this helps
Dave

#23 ·
MyXtreme2000 said:
My Old 94SS and my 00 Xtreme both with V6 and Auto
came with 3:42.1 from the factory
I have a 2001 sonoma V6 with 3:42:1 with limited slip, It spins both tires on the pavement all the time, but a few times in the mud and snow only one tire was really spinning good

#25 ·
The higher the ratio the better the gas mileage, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.