Rear Axle Identification 2001 Blazer - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Rear Axle Identification 2001 Blazer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Rear Axle Identification 2001 Blazer

I recently blew an axle seal on my '01 Blazer and the axle shaft got scored by the bearing . I've been trying to identify what kind of axle it has so I can:

1) Get the proper replacement shaft
2) Get the proper replacement bearing
3) Get the proper replacement seal
4) Know the differential fluid capacity

Both All Data and the Hayne's Manual say that the axle ID number is on the right side of the axle housing near the diff housing, I've looked all around there to no avail (unless I'm inadvertently overlooking it somehow). I do, however have a number from off the diff cover, as well as from the pinion gear, could this be used, in lieu of the axle ID number, to identify the proper axle I have on the rear?

Last edited by MidnightsPaleGlow; 01-20-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
is a fungineer

User is: OffLine
Re: Rear Axle Identification 2001 Blazer

Even easier way to do it.

Look under the back of the Blazer. The center of the rear end will have one of two things:

At the bottom of the housing, a 7.5" has curved 'fangs' on either side. An 8.5 rear end will have triangles (one side of the triangle flat to the ground, the other straight up and down).

Also, an 8.5 has axle tubes that get wider at the center section, kinda flares larger before they connect to the center.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by MidnightsPaleGlow
pinion gear
Oops, meant to say ring gear , but anyway, thanks for that helpful pointer, saves me alot of aggravation.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1
At the bottom of the housing, a 7.5" has curved 'fangs' on either side.
Thanks for this info dude, took a look underneath and saw the fangs on the opposite ends of the diff housing bottom. Now I can proceed with the "surgery."
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
is a fungineer

User is: OffLine

No worries.

A lot of peope use the axle tube trick, but I prefer the fang vs triangle trick, a lot faster to poke your head under and look in the junkyard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.