neutral safety switch wiring/plug - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

neutral safety switch wiring/plug

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Mine Sweeper!

User is: OffLine
neutral safety switch wiring/plug

I just got the clutch pedal assembly installed in my '96 Jimmy and I cannot find the appropriate 4 pin plug I keep hearing about for plugging in my neutral safety switch. The wiring diagram in my Haynes says I'm looking for a yellow and purple wire to complete the switch. The wires on the plug that I cut off of the donor truck in the junk yard are purple, purple, purple/white, and brown/white.

If anyone can help me find where the plug is, I would appreciate it. I'm not opposed to splicing into the system, but if there's a plug to be found, then I'd rather use that. I would assume it's currently plugged into something for the automatic transmission...

1996 Jimmy 4 door 4x4 currently automatic turning into a 5 speed. No cruise control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Mine Sweeper!

Re: neutral safety switch wiring/plug

Still can't find the plug or any purple and white striped wires. I found a bunch of purple wires, but I don't know which one is which.

I have a wiring diagram for my vehicle that shows a pink wire going to the park/neutral position switch on the transmission coming out as a light green wire that goes to the brake pedal switch and comes back out as a green wire, which finally goes to the shift interlock on the steering column and turns black and goes to ground. I'm not quite sure what to do there other than maybe I can take the pink wire and dark green wire and run those to the neutral switch on the clutch pedal.

Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Mine Sweeper!

Well, thanks for all of the help so far...

I have an idea and I wish it wouldn't have taken me a few hours to come up with it.

There are no factory 2nd gen 4 doors that have manual transmissions as far as I'm aware. So why would they put that plug in a 4 door wiring harness?

Now that I'm operating under the assumption that there is no plug to be found and knowing that the neutral safety switch (NSS) on the automatic transmission needs to be in park or neutral to start, I have come up with a solution.

I unplugged the NSS from the wiring harness and figured out which two pins from that plug needed jumped together to make the starter crank. As I understand it, the clutch safety switch acts like a momentary switch (when you depress the pedal, the switch closes a circuit). I will tap into the NSS plug's two wires that I jumped and run those two wires up to the clutch safety switch. When the clutch is depressed, it will then act like a jumper wire between the two wires on the NSS plug. This will allow the starter to crank and the ECM won't always read like the automatic is in park or neutral.

Sound good?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Electrical Mod

Sorry I missed your thread. Let me look over some diagrams tomorrow and I'll see if I can figure anything out.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Electrical Mod

Well, since you are swapping from an Automatic Transmission to a manual, you should really swap out the computer for one from with a manual transmission. OR you could get yours reprogrammed somewhere.

As for the wiring, you're not going to find a plug as the wiring harnesses are different between an automatic and a manual transmission. However, as you found out, you can just jump the purple and yellow wire on the side of the transmission to bypass the switch. Older vehicles didn't have that safety switch, and as long as you always press the clutch in, or have the transmission in neutral, it's really not needed. But it's to protect people when they aren't thinking or just the general population. But your idea of extending the wires to the clutch safety switch is fine since that's how it is supposed to be wired, just normally the wiring is all in the dash and doesn't go to the transmission area.

Also, sometimes it will take more than 5-6 hours before someone responds to a thread. So have some patience.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Mine Sweeper!

I yanked the POS 4L60 out on Sunday and got it tore down to the flywheel being off. Today, I'll be doing the clutch safety wiring and securing other unused wires out of the way. I know it's not necessary, but it's a feature I can have on there easily, so I might as well wire it in.

I've also heard in ONE post only from doing this swap that if you keep those wires jumped at the neutral safety switch, the engine is limited to 4,000 RPM. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it's wired into the clutch switch only, the engine won't ever be at 4,000 RPM with the clutch in during normal driving. Hopefully the engine is never at 4,000 RPM at normal driving anyways.

If I find a 2 door manual blazer to yank the computer from, I will. Otherwise, I have a guy that can reprogram my computer for me. Do the computers from manual transmissions have one fewer plug on them than the automatic computers or are the plugs on them completely different? I'm not opposed to yanking all of the automatic wiring out at this point. I will never put another 4L60 in this vehicle again.

I don't remember off-hand, but the manual transmission only has one plug on it with two wires. I would assume this is where I will wire my reverse lights in. I believe the speed sensor is mounted on my transfer case.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Mine Sweeper!

I have yanked the entire large plug from the passenger side of the automatic transmission all the way back through the wiring harness to the computer. I would like to snip these wires and seal them off with heat shrink right at the plugs to the computer. Is there any problem with that?

Also, which two wires do I tie into for the reverse switch?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Mine Sweeper!

I found in another thread that I'm looking for the pink and the grey wire from the plugs on the driver's side of the transmission. I found those wires, but I can't test that they work until I hook up the battery, which will come after I tape together my wiring harness without all of the wires from the large round plug formerly on the transmission.

Just to be clear, I have not cut those wires or the plug off yet, but I don't see why I can't and I'm just waiting until someone confirms that I can without any ill effects.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

I installed a stick shift into my automatic chevy beretta in 04 or 05. It's a 95 and stick shifts weren't offered on v6 berettas in 95 so there wasnt a harness or a computer for me to use. The only thing I had to do to get it to start was to splice the large gauge (12awg perhaps) yellow and purple wires together on the transmission selection switch which is bolted around the gear lever on the side of the transmission. The rest of the wires were 16awg so it wasn't hard to figure out which wires carried the current to the starter solenoid.
I did run into problems when I switched my wiring in my 95 out for 96. 95 was a weird year where it wasnt chippable (obd1) or flashable (obd2) but like I said 95 I didnt have any problems, my problem occured with the 96 harness (which is fully obd2) and my cruise control didnt work, other than that it wasn't a big deal. I bought a digital horsepower interface and disabled any transmission related trouble codes which were disabling my cruise and havent had a problem since. obd2 has alot more transmission trouble codes verses obd1.5 and obd1. I wired in and then bypassed the clutch safety switch for the clutch pedal bc it was a PITA and very touchy.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

In regards to the 4,000 rpm limit. With my beretta I left the trans selector switch in park or drive? I cant remember which one but it took the rev governor off so I could redline it whenever I wanted to haha! I have since thrown my trans selector switch out since I reflashed my computer and disabled any trans codes. Something else you need to deal with is the linkage that doesn't allow you to take your key out of the column unless the lever is in Park. In my beretta I got it in the right position and then just tucked the linkage under the carpet, in my s10 I actually removed the linkage.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #11

When I installed the stick shift in my S10 I swapped the harnesses over so I didnt have to deal with bypassing any of the stuff I had to with my beretta.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Mine Sweeper!

Well, I pulled the entire harness from the trans up into the engine compartment, opened the main harness up, and separated out the wires that used to go to the big round plug on the passenger side of the transmission. I cut them all off about 6" short of the plugs going into the ECM and then I put heat shrink tubing over each wire end. To accomplish this, I had to pull the battery, battery tray, overflow container, and ECM.

I just put it all back together and now I have no power anywhere. It's got to be something really simple, but I keep scratching my head coming up blank. All fuses on the driver's side of the dash are in tact, but no power to them. I'm using a known good battery (and have tried another too). I have no interior lights, under hood light, ignition noise, etc. The only power I get is a relay clicking that is for my electric fan and wired directly to the battery. I have 12v to the post on the back of the alternator and to the starter. I have continuity between the engine block and my ground cable as well as my ground cable and frame. I KNOW my grounds are good (they're all 1/0 with bolts through the frame, dielectric grease, etc.). Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Mine Sweeper!

Figured out the no-power issue. Apparently a fusible link blew in one of the wires leading from the battery to the battery terminal box on the driver's fender. I repaired it with 8 awg wiring and a standard fuse.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Better post-em.

yea my 95 with the manual trans the friggin pos safety switch broke (pressed clutch as i was driving one day and heard a plasticy crunch... found out later after the truck wouldnt do shit haha) so i just cut the wires off (purple and yellow) and spliced em together and have been that way for years. like others have said you dont need the switch at all so u might as well splice the wires together.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
Mine Sweeper!

The switch is wired in. In fact, everything is wired up now.

I broke two exhaust studs getting the Y pipe off, so I ordered a new manifold today (only $40 shipped!!) rather than getting those grade 8, 194,000 mile 16 year old bolts torched out.

So pending the arrival of the manifold, I'm still waiting on 3 quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax and a new OEM flywheel to arrive before I can put the transmission in.

I cut the hole in the floor for the shifter too. With floor shift 4x4, it's gonna be a royal PITA to find the proper console/cover for the whole setup. For now, I have a normal shifter boot on there to seal out the elements. I may just wind up building something.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Better post-em.

yea console wont be easy but its the same that was in the s10's so wont be too bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.