Modify a 4L60E transmission to automanual - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Modify a 4L60E transmission to automanual

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Modify a 4L60E transmission to automanual

how would the transmission run if there were no computer controls hooked up, no engine computer, no transmission computer, and no torque converter? The fluid lines would all be hooked up and fluid cooled.

would it just run as a manual?

could the shifting solenoids be controlled by switches to control how it shifts?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Electrical Mod

User is: OffLine
Re: Modify a 4L60E transmission to automanual

You could wire it up to manually shift the transmission via switches, however, I would not expect it to last long though unless you shifted it perfectly and never forgot about it. And I can tell you right now, it will not work without a torque converter.....that's required!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

the reason behind not having the torque converter is this is for an electric vehicle. I have seen autos used without the torque converter in electric vehicle applications. a powerglide modified to work in an electric vehicle, no torque converter.

http://www.kansasev.com/evglide-powertrain.html

as far as lasting, what would tear it up if I made it an automanual?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #4

4 speed transmission in an all electric car is pretty dumb unless it is retarded heavy (4500lbs plus)

the vehicle would get thru 1st in a second or two from a stop and you would probably stay in 2nd or thrd most of the time i doubt you will need 4th gear
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #5

the electric jimmy will weight close to 4500 pounds, and its heavy but from my days as a semi truck driver driving a 80,000 pound truck a heavy vehicle is nothing to me and Id rather enjoy it

as far as the 4 speed transmission I would like to use 1st 2nd and 3rd. 4th would be to far out of reach for me unless I add a second motor and have twin 10 inch motors to get me up to 100.

having paddle shifters would be fine. Ive seen shift kits for the 4L60E that allow you to shift when you want. It will hold any gear for as long as you want it. I could even have the motor controller send a signal to tell the transmission to shift.

Ive read tat the 4L60E has an emergency feature when the transmission would only have 2nd and 3rd, reverse and park. that would actually be the way I would want it, and have the motor controller shift from 2nd to 3rd when the motor rpm in 2nd gear hits 3500 rpm. then just have 3rd next to get me to my max speed of 70.

Ive come to the conclusion that I will need the torque converter. So I will experiment with the transmission to see when it isnt hooked to anything will I be able to have the motor controller control the shifting solenoids directly.

If I tear up the transmission thats ok, I can get a manual for $100 and just use that.

it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #6

i thought electric motors wind up really high rpms? 3500 seams low but then again i dont know the specifications of the motors your using
Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #7

yes they do rev up to 5500 - 6000 RPM> but the higher the RPM the lower the efficiency. 3500 is at over 90% efficient for the Kostov 10 inch motor I will be using. I can go higher in RPM but if I could shift to 3rd at that point it would be icing on the cake. I could go as high as 4000, that would be at about 50 mph, then go third because after 4000 the efficiency really drops and at that point the wind would be pushing me back so I would fight the efficiency drop in the motor AND the wind pushing me back.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Damn right I'm a maniac.

User is: OffLine

I'm intrigued by the electric conversion, do you have a build log?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

I started a thread for it

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f136/1...0/#post7359533
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.