i have ?s about the 8.8 swap.... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

i have ?s about the 8.8 swap....

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
i have auto ADD

User is: OffLine
i have ?s about the 8.8 swap....

so ive been searching and searching and can't seam to find and answer; if i swap a 8.8 into my 97 sonoma do i or don't i need to cut it down? i know there within a half inch in width of a 4x4 s10 diff but ive heard the center section is off set? and ive also heard its a " direct " bolt in too ? this truck will have a t56 and lt1 infront of it so i dont want anything binding....thanks in advance for the info
Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

User is: Online
Re: i have ?s about the 8.8 swap....

The 8.8 is a near drop in on a 4wd truck. The 8.8 is about 3/4" wider than the 4wd. So not much difference there.

A 4wd S10 rear axle is 2" wider, on each side than a 2wd rear axle.

So if your truck is 2wd then your wheels will stick out 2" further on each side. Or, you can use high offset wheels, like the Corvette and F-body, but then you would need a spacer on the front wheels.

The 8.8 diff is about 3" offset. If you shorten the long side of the 8.8, and use another short axle, it will be a good fit for a 2wd truck. This will also center the diff, which isn't really a problem anyways.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
i have auto ADD

im gunna run vette rims anyway so the wider rear end is fine just means no spacers in the back now when we say "off set " center section how far off is it ?
also will the stock u joints fit or do the fords run bigger caps? and last but not least what rotors did u end up running ?

thanks steve-
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #4

I just picked up an 8.8 today. 108xxx miles for 150 bucks. 3L73 too! I am going to have mine shortened so i can fit my 10" wide wheels inside the wheel wells because i am baggin while centering the pumpkin.

If i remember correctly the center section is about 3 inches to the passenger side. the axle will go closer to the exhaust that you should be redoing anyway because of your swap.

when you get your axle make sure you grab the ujoint connection that mounts to the axle. (i am horrible with proper names) you can get a conversion ujoin that will mate your stock drive shaft connection to the ford axle. i can take a pic if need be.

rotors will be the ford rotors.. you will have to either run ford rims or redrill the axles and rotors so your corvette rims fit.

correct me if i am wrong Rich, you seem to be the "know all" lol, i think your in about every thread i went through.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
goin broke but n style

correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

moser makes 8.8 axles in the s10 bolt pattern of 4.75 instead of 4.5. if not going that route, than redrill the rotors and axles to the 4.75 bolt pattern, or you can run an adaptor. they are usually 1" thick.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

The offset does move the driveshaft closer to the muffler. It still cleared my stock muffler enough I could still get my fingers in between and it never did hit. You could always adjust the hangers.

I made my own axle drill jig because I knew I was going to do at least one more 8.8 install, cost me $100 for a machine shop to make the steel inserts. Yes that is an S10 alloy wheel I cut down.

Drilling the drums or rotors doesn't need to be precise as they are centered on the axle hub.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by S15vortecpwr
correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

moser makes 8.8 axles in the s10 bolt pattern of 4.75 instead of 4.5. if not going that route, than redrill the rotors and axles to the 4.75 bolt pattern, or you can run an adaptor. they are usually 1" thick.
don't forget to mill the center of the axle down to the rotor so the wheel can fit up next to the rotor.

Also, instead of buying those expensive axles i found a shop to cut and re spline my stock axles as well as cut the housing down. 150 to cut the housing and 150 to re spline each side and cut them down. not bad considering moser axle are almost 400 plus...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

Why not narrow the right side tube 3" and then use another short left side axle? Much cheaper and you can always find another axle, nothing custom.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
i have auto ADD

and i was under the impression that the heat treated part of the axle was the splines and if u cut them off and respline u end up with a weeker axle? or so the shop by me says....
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
i have auto ADD

also...thanks awdv8 for letting me pic ur brain on this! it helped out alot
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #11

I need to shorten it for 10" wide wheels to fit inside the body when I lay out the rear. I already have my rims, so shortening the axle it is.

Also, I'm not sure about the resplining making the axles weaker... I do know though that it will be stronger than my 7.5", shortened or not.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
i have auto ADD

lol very true xxcov3rxx
Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
9" strait pipes...

Quote: Originally Posted by epoc
and i was under the impression that the heat treated part of the axle was the splines and if u cut them off and respline u end up with a weeker axle? or so the shop by me says....
depends on whether they are rolled or cut into the shaft. cut splines will be weaker, but the metal can always be heat treated again. rolling the splines onto the shaft hardens the steel in the process, this is called work hardening, and can also be heat treated again. either process can give equal results
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_hardening
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #14

That's interesting. I'll have to ask and see how they shop i am going through re splines.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #15

I know you have a second gen, but my first gen Blazer 89 with stock width 8.8 re drilled axles for chevy pattern and C6 wheels 19x10 with 285/35/19 fits perfectly flush with wheel well lip but def. won't tuck

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #16

Yea, too bad i already bought 10" wide rims with a 5.5" bs and i need them to tuck.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #17

You should be able to get more tire under your 97 then I can with the first gen.
8.8 is 59 1/2 mounting surface to mounting surface, my C6 wheels in rear are 79mm offset so plus say 3 1/2 or so with tire bulge each side for a total width of say about 66 1/2 measure back in from outside total, 12" each side and see where that puts you.
Oh wait your at 5.5 BS I'm closer to 8
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
i have auto ADD

i wonder how those wheels would fit if i were to cut 2inches off the long side and had a axle resplinded....that way id have a wider rear end so i wouldnt have to run spacers for the vet rims and it would bring the pinion closer to centerline with the trans...i know that if u take 3 in out u can use another short side axle and be done...but it would be nice to not have to run spacers.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #19

I have a 94 reg cab ,short bed. I just installed a 406 small block chevy and a 350 trans. I also just installed a ford 8.8 rear axle. everything went right in except the drive shaft. This truck was a four cylinder before i took it apart. I installed the M.O.R.E adaptor on rear of drive shaft so that it will bolt to axle. But It seems like the drive shaft is to long and the front slip yoke does not slide over the trans rear output shaft (it has to be tapped in with hammer.) I was able to tap it all the way in trans but shaft was to long anyway. It seems like i need another front yoke and i also need to cut drive shaft shorter. Has anyone else had this problem when converting from a four banger to a v8. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
goin broke but n style

you can use a 3rd gen f-body rear u-joint (so i have read on here) and it will bolt your d/s to the ford rear end yoke. also napa has a conversion joint (prt # 374 i think) that will work.

4cyl shaft are no diff than 6 cyl shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.