how many u-joints on extended cab? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how many u-joints on extended cab?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
SHENANIGANS!!!

User is: OffLine
how many u-joints on extended cab?

I have an extended cab 2001, my u-joints are grinding and I am going to replace them. How many U-joints do I need to buy? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #2

Re: how many u-joints on extended cab?

Should be 3 if its a 2wd, my 2000 has 3
I had to by 5 to get three decent ones though, first three I bought two wer made in the US and the other one china even though they were the same brand. First of the chinese ones broke taking it out of the cardboard box so I returned it and got another and it broke when installing it so I went to a different store of the same chain and asked the guy to look at the bottom of the boxes for a US made one.
I made sure to get them with grease fittings so they will last longer too (unless I get lazy and don't grease them)
I assume U know U have to melt the nylon out from the factory ones.

Last edited by eugenen; 02-01-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Yes that Sh Sh Shit

i keep hearing about 5 u joints but in my mind i am think of 4 the most and hopefully they are all the same part number
Old 02-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #4

Where would they put 5? You have right behind the transmission, one just behind the center bearing and one at the diff. Any more and you would have to have more center supports to keep the drive shaft from flopping around
Old 02-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
SHENANIGANS!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by eugenen
I assume U know U have to melt the nylon out from the factory ones.
Do you mean to lube them or replace them? Their supposed to be lubricated for the life of the joint, I think thats kind of stupid not to just put points on them like the older ones...
Old 02-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Yes that Sh Sh Shit

whose got part numbers and a definate answer to this?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
specializing in 98-up s10

97-up 2.2 ext cab is 3 u-joints if you have a v6 thats 97-up yes their is 5 and dont try to replace them your self take the shaft to some one that does it
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
Yes that Sh Sh Shit

Quote: Originally Posted by eugenen
Where would they put 5? You have right behind the transmission, one just behind the center bearing and one at the diff. Any more and you would have to have more center supports to keep the drive shaft from flopping around

Quote: Originally Posted by s10warehouse
97-up 2.2 ext cab is 3 u-joints if you have a v6 thats 97-up yes their is 5 and dont try to replace them your self take the shaft to some one that does it

told you there was 5 thanks s10warehouse for clearing that up now anybody have part numbers?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by projo198
Do you mean to lube them or replace them? Their supposed to be lubricated for the life of the joint, I think thats kind of stupid not to just put points on them like the older ones...
No I mean the nylon they use to hold the caps on instead of the clips like the replacement ones. You have to melt that to replace the joints, then the replacement ones have the clips that hold them in place. You have to get plenty of heat too, the little 1lb propane torches just don't quite give off enough.
The lubed for life stuff is only if you never get them dirty or wet get a bit of dirt past the seal and the life is over, I prefer the greasable type so I just grease them each time I change the oil to keep good clean grease in them.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
Yes that Sh Sh Shit

95 Camaro z28 385 ci. 6 spd t-tops black leather 16,860 org. miles, coil overs 4 piston bembro brakes front+full list mods Fiske rims 17x11.5 rear with 315/35/17 bfg drag radials 17x9.5 front with 275/40/17 for sale 10k obo

thats alot of car for the money good luck selling that
Old 02-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
SHENANIGANS!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by s10warehouse
I'm poor so I do all my own work...LOL..I take it to the Auto Craft center on post, they help out a lot, you just have to do the wrenchwork.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #12

if you have the 5 of them in your v6 thier a pain to change with out a press dont try and beat them in and out or you will need a new drive shaft most people f-up the yokes beating them out
Old 02-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #13

I'm not poor but still prefer to do my own work.
I usually don't recommend HF stuff, but they have a U joint press for $35. You will only need it for the factory joints, once they are replaced the ones with the clips are much easier and you can press them in and out easily.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #14
SHENANIGANS!!!

Okay, I bought three. I'm gonna put it ion the life tommorrow and check it all out, I just hope it is my u-joints and not something worse like my tranny. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
Nice Jorb

If it is the nylon pins like my 03, you don't need a press. heat the end of the U joint up with a torch. I've always used a little propane torch (kinda like the ones for plumbing) without a problem. Just do it outside so you don't have to clean up the melted nylon mess.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #16
Sold

there is not 5 u joints in any s-series truck.
there are 2 double cardin joints. there are not replaceable, but are rebuildable. take it to a shop if u have the double cardin joints.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #17

call them what you want but their is 3 in some and 5 in the other i am lots of other people call tehm u-joints becasue thats what they are
Old 02-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #18

Ahh, thats why people say there are 5, those double joints look a lot like U joints so I guess it is easy to call them that.
That nylon isn't just pins, the pins you see are where the holes are that they squirt them in. You can do them with a little torch it just takes a while to get it up hot enough for them to melt.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #19
Sold

yes they do look like u joints, but there is more to them than a reg. u joint.
there is a ball and spring between the 2. that needs to be held together while assembling them. takes special tools to rebuild them.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #20
Nice Jorb

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan.php

BTW part of each double cardan joint is two universal joints. On my 03 ext cab, I've got 5 U joints.

Saying it's not a u joint cause it's part of a cardan joint is wrong. It's still a U joint.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #21

The reason the double-cardan u-joints wear out on the S-10 extended cabs is because the driveshaft needs to be aligned. Check out this link:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...aft-Align.html

Also, heating a u-joint to melt the nylon retainer can cause the cap of the u-joint to shoot out like a bullet because of the high-pressure that builds up from the grease and oil being vaporized inside the u-joint. I don't recommend heating the u-joint -- it can be dangerous.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #22
SHENANIGANS!!!

[QUOTE=Mike8756]The reason the double-cardan u-joints wear out on the S-10 extended cabs is because the driveshaft needs to be aligned. Check out this link:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...aft-Align.html

Funny you should post that page, I just came acrossed it while trying to fix this problem. Anyway, I replaced all THREE of my u-joints last night and it didn't fix the problem. A lot of people have mentioned the double cardan joint. I saw the picture but don't remember seeing one on my truck, and I pulled the whole shaft out. All I have is the joint at the transmission, a second by the carrier bearing and the last at the dif. I guess I'll try switching out the carrier bearing next, it is only 25 bucks. Yes, the old u-joints were a pain in the ass, we had to melt AND press them but they came out alright. If anybody has any more info on these cardan joints please share, thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #23
Nice Jorb

If you only have three U joints, then you don't have the double cardan joints. While it's in the truck look at the angles and see if it's out of alignment. With my 3/3 drop, I noticed it was pretty rough. The angle from the diff yoke and the rear driveshaft was fixed by the angled blocks, the angle from the carrier bearing and the rear driveshaft was fixed by lifting the bearing, and the angle from the trans yoke and the front drive shaft should be fixed by the trans mount spacer (haven't done it yet, I'll be doing that part tomorrow). That has helped out a lot of my vibrations.

Did you match mark the drive shaft before you took it apart? If it's put back on backwards, or a 1/4 turn off on the differential, it could also add vibration.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #24
SHENANIGANS!!!

[QUOTE=Did you match mark the drive shaft before you took it apart? If it's put back on backwards, or a 1/4 turn off on the differential, it could also add vibration.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it went back the same way it came out. It grinds mainly at speeds over 35-40, especially on the highway. It isn't constant, it mainly happens as I let off the accelerator, but before I take my foot off completely. I did notice today that it stops when I air up. I can't think of anything else it could be now but the carrier, but I don't know. I was thinking, does this happen at all if the splines of the shaft bottom out when I air up and down? Let me know how those spacers work out for you, thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #25
yoj

do you have a Manual?
Starting around 1995, the extended cab 2wd V6 trucks with automatic transmissions came with the constant velocity “double-cardan” style U-joints (shown above), to reduce driveline vibrations on extended cab trucks.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #26

Quote: Originally Posted by cavymeister
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan.php

BTW part of each double cardan joint is two universal joints. On my 03 ext cab, I've got 5 U joints.

Saying it's not a u joint cause it's part of a cardan joint is wrong. It's still a U joint.

If you have a '95 or later extended cab or long bed with the 4.3L you have 5 u-joints. If you have the 4 cyl engine then there are 3 (I think some might have the double cardans as well, edit: I guess not I just reread S10warehouse's reply).

All 5 u-joints and both double cardan joints need to be greased if you don't do this they are going to fail. Once the sealed factory u-joints fail replace them with greasable u-joints and they should last as long as your truck if you keep them greased and your driveline angles aren't bad.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twin-10s
there is not 5 u joints in any s-series truck.
there are 2 double cardin joints. there are not replaceable, but are rebuildable. take it to a shop if u have the double cardin joints.
Have you ever looked under your truck??? (I might be wrong, but it looks like you have the 4.3L, I thought I could see a y-pipe in one of your pics). On each side of the double cardan joint is a u-joint.

The double cardan joints are replacable too. You will get charged an arm and a leg at the dealer though.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twin-10s
yes they do look like u joints, but there is more to them than a reg. u joint.
there is a ball and spring between the 2. that needs to be held together while assembling them. takes special tools to rebuild them.
You don't need special tools. Just a puller and a press to get the ball off if it needs to be replaced (unless those are special). When I rebuilt mine the balls where still in good shape, but the pieces that make the cone the ball sits in had shattered, so I just replaced those and the spring and seal.

Last edited by Mike1234; 02-04-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.