Hard plastic clutch hydraulic hose repair - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hard plastic clutch hydraulic hose repair

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

Question Hard plastic clutch hydraulic hose repair

How would I repair the hard plastic hydraulic clutch hose that goes from the master to the slave in a 1994 S10 2.2? I've accidentally damaged it. I have enough slack to splice it (with what product?), or I could just replace it...but I can't find anyone selling it and I can't see how it would come off and be put back on.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #2

Re: Hard plastic clutch hydraulic hose repair

Nevermind, found a relevant thread...
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f143/c...cement-364171/
Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
i saw what you did there!

User is: OffLine

new line

dealer junkyard or maybe a parts store iif even available
Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #4

New lines are not sold anywhere. Some parts stores, and reportedly dealers, can get a complete pre-bled master, line, and slave set.

Also, the line can't be disconnected and reconnected in any sane way.

If I fail at repairing it, I'm going to use what I learned in the thread I linked above to see about getting a hose made by a hydraulic hose shop. If that fails then a junkyard visit is in my future.

This is the plastic tubing:

This is how it attaches to the master and slave:

Zoom in for a closer look at http://picasaweb.google.com/Perforat...21878024010770
Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

temp fix...

Old 09-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

Agreed. I won't find an appropriate compression fitting, which is a better fix, but I should be able to find that style of fitting.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Works too much!

The line will unhook from the slave and master. It is attached with roll pins. Tap the roll pins out, then pull the line off.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

a Buick LeSabre with a clutch huh? interesting...

Last edited by NotaDime; 09-14-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

oh and.... MOEW! lol

Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #10

You've discovered my dark secret!

I am totally unqualified to do such an undertaking, but I went ahead and did it anyway...I learned a lot. I finally got it running a few days ago and ten minutes later I found out that I forgot to route the clutch hose properly.

In the other thread that I linked in my first reply here I learned about those roll pins. The trouble is, nobody sells the hose.

I could take it and its fittings to someone who makes hoses, if I knew where to get that done (I have a couple ideas). I could buy some expensive, rare, takes-months-to-deliver fittings to DIY. Or I could try to fix it here.

The car came out far less hacky than I expected so I can tolerate a little bit of hackage here.

Good news: I found a compression fitting that will work.

The ones in parts stores now have a small tube that fits the inside diameter as well as having the sleeve that fits the outside diameter. They are designed for metal fuel/brake line and won't work with this thick-walled plastic tube. A year ago the ones in parts stores did not have the inside diameter tube...I know because I bought one to fix my fuel line back then.

Anyway, a hardware store had the old style, which will work for this. They also had separate brass tube inserts that fit the inside diameter. I bought them to reinforce it and prevent it from being crushed in the compression fitting.

I'm pretty confident in this. One person in the other thread did it with a compression fitting two years ago and it's been fine. Mine runs higher pressure (stiffer clutch) but ought to be fine.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #11

I think that the resources above are seem to be good. I also found this kind of repair in order to fix up all the things that are supposed to be fixed on your vehicle when it comes to hydraulic hose. I don't know if this would help out but try to red it to really fix it all up.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #12

Now 3 years and 55,000 miles later, I never expected any part of my project to last this long but almost all of it has -- including the temporary hack of splicing the hard plastic hydraulic clutch hose with compression fittings from the plumbing section at the hardware store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.