GU6 to G80 rear end swap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

GU6 to G80 rear end swap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Junk Yard Addict

User is: OffLine
Question GU6 to G80 rear end swap

96 S10 Blazer 4X4 GU6 7.5 Can I just swap the G80 into the original housing without replacing the pinion gear? My goal is to have a Posi rear end with the same gear ratio. Spline is the same - 28.

I read a lot of posts but I can't get a direct answer. Looking forward for your expert/experienced answer.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Lunatic

Re: GU6 to G80 rear end swap

if you also reused your ring gear it would work, that's how most of the people did their zexel installs.
just remove your open carrier, remove the ring gear, install ring gear on the gov-lock, then install gov-lock. just make sure to put the shims in on the correct sides (there are shims on the left and right, usually different thicknesses).

there are tons of how-to's for zexels, look one up if you need more details than that.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Gaaoooooo

I would just go for a zexel unit instead of the factory gov lock (junk in my opinion), but if you are getting the gov lock for free, then you can just throw the same ring gear back on and be good to go like Crazy J said.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Junk Yard Addict

Crazy J and Mintsick,

Thank you so much. So, I have to use my original ring gear and would work. You guys made me happy. Why can't I use the ring gear attached to the gov -lock? You should know me, less work the happier I am.

Eventhough you have explained it thoroughly, I will look up the xezel's how to. Well, I got the 1998 S10 G80 for $15 (Its whom you know not what you know) from the junk yard.

Again, thank you.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by BlazerRap
Crazy J and Mintsick,

Thank you so much. So, I have to use my original ring gear and would work. You guys made me happy. Why can't I use the ring gear attached to the gov -lock? You should know me, less work the happier I am.

Eventhough you have explained it thoroughly, I will look up the xezel's how to. Well, I got the 1998 S10 G80 for $15 (Its whom you know not what you know) from the junk yard.

Again, thank you.
You can reuse everything from your stock rearend, just swap the ring gear over to the new posi unit, and you should be all set. I would suggest replacing the carrier bearings/races and the axle seals while you are at it.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by BlazerRap

So, I have to use my original ring gear and would work. You guys made me happy. Why can't I use the ring gear attached to the gov -lock? .
Ring and pinion gears come in match sets. That's why you want to use yhour old ring gear over, if you're not changing the pinion. If you used the ring gear that is already on the gov-loc, even if it has te right tooth count, most likely it will be noisey. Even after setting up the proper tooth depth.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #7
Junk Yard Addict

Mintsick & Poconojoe,

Wow! I got all the answer I needed to do the swap. Loud and Clear. I will do it. Thank you.

R/Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.