drive and overdrive wont shift automatically - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

drive and overdrive wont shift automatically

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #1

drive and overdrive wont shift automatically

Making a turn today at normal acceleration overdrive sounded like it jumped out of gear.I gave it gas and the engine just reved.I put it in drive and no go.Then i put it in 2nd and it drove just fine.I manually put it in drive at 3000 rpms and it shifted and the same for overdrive.But when i come to a stop i have to put it in first gear and work my way back throught the gears manually.I have a 1993 s10 blazer with the tahao lt package and i am not sure which tranny i have.The guy i bought it from said it is not the 700r4.If i left out any info just hit me up and all help is appreciated.thx Jon
Old 07-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: drive and overdrive wont shift automatically

Quote: Originally Posted by strictly07
Making a turn today at normal acceleration overdrive sounded like it jumped out of gear.I gave it gas and the engine just reved.I put it in drive and no go.Then i put it in 2nd and it drove just fine.I manually put it in drive at 3000 rpms and it shifted and the same for overdrive.But when i come to a stop i have to put it in first gear and work my way back throught the gears manually.I have a 1993 s10 blazer with the tahao lt package and i am not sure which tranny i have.The guy i bought it from said it is not the 700r4.If i left out any info just hit me up and all help is appreciated.thx Jon
Check your fluid level, on auto the first gears to go out are the upper gears.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #3

fluid level is full when hot.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
My mirror hates my sub

this is 200% ( yes ) the same problem i have in my 91 blazer... past i think it's 89 the 700r4 becomes the 4l60.. here's a link to the thread... also, you can tell what trans it is by the pan on the bottom

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/mu...g-else-358016/
Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
I'm slap happy, bitches!

you can NOT tell a 4l60e from a 700 by the pan.

the last year for domestic USA built 700 was 92
in 93 was the first USA 4l60e, canada was a year behind, and the cops car caprice was a year ahead, you could get an E in 92. but that was the lt1 option.

you 93 blazer is a 4l60e

it has all 4 forward gears?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
whore turned lurker

sounds like you valve body is dirty or getting clogged. i would try taking it in for a flush or if cash is short do a couple of pan drops to change some fluid out. but beware if theres something wrong it will definetly show its face after a flush.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
I'm slap happy, bitches!

he's right.... after the flush, the chick in squegee's avy shows up and says "your tranny is ****ed!"

Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #8

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing. ('97 S10 pickup, 2.2, 4L60e) It wont downshift when you try to accelerate, just revs in neutral... and it wont shift back into 1st when you come to a stop, just revs in neutral. It still has all 4 foward gears as well as reverse. They dont seem to be slipping either, and shifts are firm when you shift it manually.

Well I'll tell you right now, Ive had my truck scanned by 3 different people with everything from an actron OBDII scanner to a snap on diagnostic computer that could look in the TCM and see all sorts of parameters. Both trans shops that I have taken it to said that it sounds like its a broken sprag (sorta like a one way clutch... think about whats on the back axle of a 10 speed bike that clicks and allows power transfer in one direction). They both said they dont think its an electrical solenoid or switch or anything computer related.

After a while, my 3-4 shift started feeling soft, but it also revs in neutral as if i shifted it too early or something. I cant tell if its slipping clutches or just the same problem we've both described.

My issue started one day where it revved in neutral on an upshift, and then it was fine for a little while. Then it did it again and started getting more and more frequent. It would do it when it was cold and then it would be OK.

My next step is to drop the pan and see if there is any metal in there. If there is, I know the mechanics were right.

Im also pretty sure I have a trans fluid leak somewhere.

If you get any answers on this, PLEASE let me know!!

Im planning on buying a Jasper reman with a 3 yr/100k mi warranty with my next paycheck

They retail at 1700. The lats AAMCO "rebulid" on this trans cost the previous owner 1800 and it lasted a whole 28k miles...18 months, just out of warranty by 6.

Last edited by SickSpeedMonte; 07-10-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Can you interchange the year's of the transmissions as long as its '94+?
Im looking at used ones from other trucks.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
I'm slap happy, bitches!

where you at first?

and you state that it has all 4 forward gears if you shift manually, but what gears in automatic mode?
1st and 2nd, or 3rd and fourth?

1700? that include shipping?

read jaspers fine print before you buy one.
if you don't have it installed by a jasper dealer, its only a one year warranty, and if it's not a professional shop, there isnt a warranty.

tell me the whole story.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
whore turned lurker

stay away from jasper "rebuilds" they're junk
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
I'm slap happy, bitches!

you pay shipping, ill build you one, 1100.

wont need a core either.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by Deeze49686
where you at first?

and you state that it has all 4 forward gears if you shift manually, but what gears in automatic mode?
1st and 2nd, or 3rd and fourth?

1700? that include shipping?

read jaspers fine print before you buy one.
if you don't have it installed by a jasper dealer, its only a one year warranty, and if it's not a professional shop, there isnt a warranty.

tell me the whole story.
Im around Baltimore, MD

In automatic mode, it wont start off at all, just revs. You can get 3rd in D only if you get up to speed with the low gears. Then you can shift into OD, again, once you are going fast enough. So in OD all you have is 4th and in D all you have is 3rd. If you try to accelerate in 3rd or 4th, such that the trans should downshift, it will freewheel like its in neutral. If you get into D or OD and come to a stop, you must shift back into low gear to put power to the ground again. 2nd is 2nd, even from a stand still (im assuming its supposed to be like that for snow) and 1st is only 1st obviously.

Personally, I can get the Jasper trans at WD thru my old work.

Thanks for the tip on the install voiding the warranty, I will definately check into that.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #14

I dont see anything about having to have it installed by a jasper dealer, only repairs via warranty claims must be made at a jasper authorized shop or their plant. Am I missing it maybe? I red through everything that should be applicable to the transmission.

http://www.jasperengines.com/pdf/warranty.pdf

The only thing in a little leary about with buying the trans from you for $1100 is if it takes a dump, im flat out, out of $1100 and will have nowhere to go from there. At least if the warranty is still effective for me, I'll have a backup plan.

I was reading that FAQ that I posted in, in this forum, and it really sounds like the foward sprag isnt transferring power.

Last edited by SickSpeedMonte; 07-11-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
I'm slap happy, bitches!

first off, i'd never sell a trans to anyone on this forum that wouldnt last 3 years. EVER. my rep is worth way more than the 500 bucks id make off it.

second, if you put it in manual one it will take off? you force a downshift from 3rd to 2nd and it freewheels? its either forward clutch or the sprag is bad.

now with jasper, they dont suck that bad, they just don't do anything inside them very extravagant.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #16

Manual one will take off and spin the tires if you mash it, no slipping.
Forcing a downshift from D to 2 manually will do what you would expect it to do, downshift and put power to the ground. Manually selecting 1 and 2, everything is kosher. Its when you get into D or OD, you only have 3rd gear and 4th gear, respectively. If you get it to automatically shift into a lower gear (either by accelerating hard or coming to a stop) it then freewheels in neutral.

Where are you located? How much would shipping be to 20851?

How many transmissions have you sold to members here?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #17

Ttt
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
I'm slap happy, bitches!

-what kinda warranty you want.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #19

Well, the last time I priced out shipping on a trans, it was anywhere b/w $130 and $190, so that puts the price at around $1230+... and at that point Im not really saving much money over Jasper. I understand that you use better internals, but what upgrades do you use? This is a big chunk of change for me so I'd like to know what I'd be getting. On the other hand knowing that Jasper has a legal responsibility to me for 3 years would be nice too.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
I'm slap happy, bitches!

you want a list?

here ya go

master overhaul kit with tubulator steels, borg warner frictions.
high energy NEW band(old ones are shit, raybetos sucks, and relined does not have the springiness needed for a quick release)
28 element HD late model 700 dual cage forward sprag. (jasper uses a single cage skf that flips more than john kerry)
borg warner heavy duty low roller clutch
new bushings thru the whole unit including a sonnax wide ft stator bushing for better lock-up fluid control.

raybestos 5 year warranty electrical warranty shift solenoids.
borg force motor, tcc pwm solenoid, 3-2 downshift, manifold pressure switch, techpac non bleeddown tcc solenoid and harness.

new molded pistons in the input drum

wet air check the lock-up valve in the pump for leaks, if worn gets a sonnax teflon ringed walve.

transgo recalibration kit matched to rear-end gears for the right shift feel the first time.

new cooler line fittings.

now heres a kicker that jasper doesnt do.

i disassemble the planetary gear sets and replace BOTH torrington bearings.

i check the pinion pins for scoring, look at the roller needle bearings, and trash anything abnormal.

jasper will wiggle test their shit and run it.

beast shell.

transtar/axiom remanned torque convertor 3 year warranty.

ive been to the jasper trans assembly plant a few times, imagine a burger assembly line at mcdonalds. but building trannies.

you trust mcdonalds to make your burger they exact way you want it?

let me ask you something now.....

you want something that just works with a national warranty, or you want something dead nuts right thats going to last longer than 3 years with you beating it occasionaly?

because i can warranty a piece of shit generic slushbox just like them for 3 years, and on paper it looks good, or i can give you the mental feeling that your $$$ was well spent and that you will be worry free for at least 3 years.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #21

Wow, very good info. I sent you a PM

BTW, sorry if I'm being a PITA. I just want to make an informed decision.

Obviously, I'd rather have something that actually works for 3 years without needing a warranty than something that breaks within 3 years and then have to make a warranty claim. But no matter how well something is built, there's always a chance of a freak occurance. I'm all for doing something right the first time around. You definately know what you are doing, as evident from the knowledge that you have demonstrated in quite a few posts on this board. Never the less, I'm sure you understand that I dont know you from the next guy, so naturally there's going to be a bit of hesitataion and need for reassurance before I decide send you two week's salary.

But anyways, give me a call and hopefully we can work out a way to make this transaction that protects both of us.

Last edited by SickSpeedMonte; 07-16-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.