Doing a 4l60e transmission flush by yourself?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Doing a 4l60e transmission flush by yourself??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
S10 TIRE/WHEEL MASTER

Doing a 4l60e transmission flush by yourself??

guys if you can chime in and tell me if im right here.

1) Drop the pan put new filter in and close it up and add 3 quarts.
2) I think the return goes to the top of the radiator and supply to tranny goes out from the bottom. So in that case disconnect the supply line going out to the radiator and get a tube. One tube goes out from the radiator to to a 5 gallon bucket, and other tube attaches to the line feeding into the tranny and that tube would be in a 5 gallon bucket filled with fresh oil.
3) start the truck up and leave it in park and watch the empty bucket fill up and at the same time the bucket with clean fluid will get sucked into the tranny.
4 Once the empty bucket fills up and you see clean fluid come out the tranny it should be flushed which will take im guessing 15-20 quearts to be safe you can turn the truck off.

So am i wrong here guys?? Or will i have to manually fill because ive done this before and i just want to be sure 4l60e will suck the fluid in and then push it thru the radiator out the exit side so i can clean everything in the entire system even old fluid in the radiator. Prob going to use amsoil or mobil 1. Truck has 45K miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
goin broke but n style

User is: OffLine
Re: Doing a 4l60e transmission flush by yourself??

I am not sure which line is which. I bottom line is the return line on my truck. That is where I have hooked up my tranny cooler. Fluid goes thru the rad and then thru my front mounted coller then back to the tranny.

The flush thing sounds right to me. I have read several post on here about doing it that way.

I use the store brand ATF and change it every 30,000 or so miles. I have never had any trouble using store brand ATF.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Blown ex ***

put 4 quarts in the pan, 5 if its a deep pan. disconnect the upper line on the radiator, put a fitting & hose on the radiator to a bucket. start it and let it run till you see about 4-5 in the bucket. shut it off and add 4-5 in the filler tube. repeat till your happen with the color. put it back together and check the level. make sure there is fluid on the stick with the engine off, before starting it up.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
S10 TIRE/WHEEL MASTER

to the upper part of the radiator the return to the tranny??? then id hook up another hose to the line that gos out from the radiator to the tranny and put that line inside a bucket filled with new oil because the pump will suck the tranny fluid thru right?? That way i dont have to keep filling the dipstick up the pump in the tranny should suck the fluid from a new bucket pretty easy. Then I could just sit there and watch it till i like the color

Last edited by NORCAL SS; 09-09-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Blown ex ***

i don't know if it would suck the fluid in. never tried it, its pretty easy the way i do it.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Blown ex ***

btw, if ya spill fluid. just use a garden hose and rinse it off.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by NORCAL SS
to the upper part of the radiator the return to the tranny??? then id hook up another hose to the line that gos out from the radiator to the tranny and put that line inside a bucket filled with new oil because the pump will suck the tranny fluid thru right?? That way i dont have to keep filling the dipstick up the pump in the tranny should suck the fluid from a new bucket pretty easy. Then I could just sit there and watch it till i like the color

did it work the way you get planing to do it? with 2 buckets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.