corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #1

corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion

so will a corvette irs (independant rear suspension). work under an s10? i know there would be bracket and bracing fab-work needed, and possibly more massaging to get it to fit and work properly. but... is it feasable, as far as the total width of the irs and whatnot?

i know i seen the guys on trucks ( spike tv) put a mustang irs under a ranger... which is what got me thinking about this? id love some good feedback, because im thinking about it for my s10 project. in theory, i believe it would give me the handling i am looking for. what do you all think?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
goin broke but n style

User is: OffLine
Re: corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion

Do a search on this. this has been asked thousands of times onhere. IMO its not worth it. 3-4 link would be better.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

yeah, i thought that the irs would provide better cornering and handling then a 4 link but. ill definatly have to do alot more research.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

yes it will. as far as what I've seen, you'll have to shorten the arms but it's doable and gets good handling.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.

at the point of doing it Id also run the rear mounted trans and torque tube from a C5... you will have to get new half shafts made and make new upper and lower control arms among other things.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
LowKart

I hate to be pessimistic, but unless you use the truck for racing or running really hard on the track it would be a waste of money and time compared to just linking the solid axle with coil overs.

But then again, it would be sooo awesome to do (after an LS swap of course).
Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
It's "Neanderthal"

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragline
so will a corvette irs (independant rear suspension). work under an s10? i know there would be bracket and bracing fab-work needed, and possibly more massaging to get it to fit and work properly. but... is it feasable, as far as the total width of the irs and whatnot?

i know i seen the guys on trucks ( spike tv) put a mustang irs under a ranger... which is what got me thinking about this? id love some good feedback, because im thinking about it for my s10 project. in theory, i believe it would give me the handling i am looking for. what do you all think?
What year Corvette would you get it from?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Build them right....Mod

This is basically what it would have to look like. This IRS is from a Pre-transaxle car.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

S10 body wasn't built for handling. Not sure if it would even be a good idea.

Why are you wanting to do this? Autocross or something?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by HopnDude
S10 body wasn't built for handling. Not sure if it would even be a good idea.

Why are you wanting to do this? Autocross or something?
yes, everyone heard that from someone.....
that's why you got dimes standing on their rear bumpers at the strip still using leaf springs and other dimes out running sports cars in autocross and road racing still with leaf spring suspensions. just ask around, a lot of members here are doing it and they'll tell you, an s10 CAN handle.

I'm pretty sure it's harder to make an s10 lay frame or hop than handle properly fab-wise.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #11

If you "Get r Done" you best post pic's!....I'd love to see a dime lay waist to a car in auto cross!....but I'd take a Astro front chassis, and use theawd setup on your dime. Why?! Awd is better than 2wd, when all your weights in front & power in rear. Not sure if anyone's attempted this, but I've contemplated it!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Gaaoooooo

I'd just get a rusted pair of lakewood slapper bars and call it buttoned.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #13

I've got a ZR2 rear sway bar and a Extreme rear sway bar sitting in the garage. The ZR2 one is incomplete, needs bushings, the other Extreme sway bar has ploy bushings, all stuff's there. If you'd like to go that route, hit me up, I'll sell's ya some parts! And I do believe you can still use Lakewood Slappers (funny name, but I like it, it fits the description and design!), Caltrac's, Assassins, Add a Link (not sure on this ones name, add a link, adjust a link, or sum'n like that). But either way, it'd give you a little bit of weight down low, help out with not only side to side roll, but when your get'n into the throttle, give you a stiffer suspension setup.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by HopnDude
If you "Get r Done" you best post pic's!....I'd love to see a dime lay waist to a car in auto cross!....but I'd take a Astro front chassis, and use theawd setup on your dime. Why?! Awd is better than 2wd, when all your weights in front & power in rear. Not sure if anyone's attempted this, but I've contemplated it!
that might not be a bad idea. although the way most gys doing awd conversions go is pretty easy too, get a 4wd frame, an awd case and tubular control arms in front to mount coil overs beside the cv shafts.
but that's very far in the future for me, got a new house so can't spend too much on the truck.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Reiners Rigs

The rear sway bar setup helps a ton! I did it to my s10 and its awesome. A lot less body roll and the truck feels more planted in corners. I'm no auto x racer but I'm sure some of them have rear sway bars as well if they are running leaf springs still.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by reiners88
The rear sway bar setup helps a ton! I did it to my s10 and its awesome. A lot less body roll and the truck feels more planted in corners. I'm no auto x racer but I'm sure some of them have rear sway bars as well if they are running leaf springs still.
I have two rear sway bar sets, one from 98 ZR2 and Xtreme. But the Caltracs (there's others like this, NOT LAKEWOOD, those IMO are junk to be honest, save your money, buy something worth while) and I don't have much rear end role in turns, and NO issue with wheel hop, or torsion in the rear axle! Depending on the setup, you can still (not sure why) use sway bar setup with Lief spring traction bar setup.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Reiners Rigs

If I keep my ext cab ill be making my own cal tracs for it. Im on a taller size tire as of now. But have a set of vette wheels to go on when funds become available, so the bars will help keep the rear in check. Ok enough thread jacking this guys thread lol
Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
i have auto ADD

its not a corvette IRS but im working on getting a Jaguar IRS under my 97 sonoma... went with new frame from firewall back and ive gotten the rear mounted just waiting for winter or somthing major to break on the noma so i can tear it down and make this happen...if i get some free time ill snap some pics and throw em up
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #19

I purchased a 1988 s10 with a cammed 355 and turbo 475 trans yes a 475 I know most of you would say they didn't make one but they did it had a longer tail shaft but anyways I got the truck home and I live about five miles out of town so one day I try to go to town on a quarter tank and it stranded me about half way so at this point I wanted to sell it but instead my dad says "we'll I have the 700r-4 out of that vette" and I'm like okay so I rebuild it and when I put it in there we both realized there was no mounting studs for the tranny then we decided to take it one step further and put the rear end into rather than pull the fresh trans apart and find a new shell so we lengthened the torque arm by about two and a half feet and everything from there was cake no modifications required to the rear axle so I thought hey if this made it handle that good why not do the front so that's what I'm doing to it now is stretching it four inches widening it four inches on both sides and a fresh 427 sbc with pro ram 2 and two 4150 650s on top
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #20
LSX Jimmy

Quote: Originally Posted by Milleraa
I purchased a 1988 s10 with a cammed 355 and turbo 475 trans yes a 475 I know most of you would say they didn't make one but they did it had a longer tail shaft but anyways I got the truck home and I live about five miles out of town so one day I try to go to town on a quarter tank and it stranded me about half way so at this point I wanted to sell it but instead my dad says "we'll I have the 700r-4 out of that vette" and I'm like okay so I rebuild it and when I put it in there we both realized there was no mounting studs for the tranny then we decided to take it one step further and put the rear end into rather than pull the fresh trans apart and find a new shell so we lengthened the torque arm by about two and a half feet and everything from there was cake no modifications required to the rear axle so I thought hey if this made it handle that good why not do the front so that's what I'm doing to it now is stretching it four inches widening it four inches on both sides and a fresh 427 sbc with pro ram 2 and two 4150 650s on top

Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
Hey guys watch this!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK

Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #22

. Ill post better pics later
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
LSX Jimmy

Quote: Originally Posted by ToLows10

about a year late on that quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #24

corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion-img_2374.jpg here you go
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
Cornerin Demon

Quote: Originally Posted by benster
just ask around, a lot of members here are doing it and they'll tell you, an s10 CAN handle.

I'm pretty sure it's harder to make an s10 lay frame or hop than handle properly fab-wise.

4 link or truck arms with a watts link would be a good combo and waaaaaay cheaper and easier than a IRS... but i have always thought it would be cool

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK
you would

edit: damnit... suckered on a old post again
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
LSX Jimmy

Attachment 131755 here you go
Got anymore, like an entire installs worth?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #27

Attachment 131755 here you go
Thats badass !

and for those of you going on about why, its a waste, its to expensive blah blah
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/images.../separator.gif

You do it because you can and it be ****ing badass !!!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #28
LSX Jimmy

I am debating getting some kind of IRS, might pick up an 8.8 tomorrow and go coilover 4-link, its always up in the air. I would attempt it if I can see some conversions with lots of pics.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #29

i have a few more pics but i also have the cut outs for my brackets but wether or not you could build one with that much idk
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
LSX Jimmy

i have a few more pics but i also have the cut outs for my brackets but wether or not you could build one with that much idk

If I cant do it, I know someone who can!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #31

corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion-img_2381.jpg this is the only bad part about having 400+ horse on a stock dana 36
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
Cornerin Demon

Attachment 131763 this is the only bad part about having 400+ horse on a stock dana 36
i'd just say it's cuz it's aluminum chromoly all the way baby

but better to have those break then your rear or your tranny
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #33

one of the u joint straps came loose and my tire hooked up then and just mangled everything from there
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #34

corvette irs suspension; s10 conversion-img_0750.jpg now on to the front end
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
Cornerin Demon

one of the u joint straps came loose and my tire hooked up then and just mangled everything from there
-facepalm- ouch
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
LSX Jimmy

Attachment 131769 now on to the front end
Do you think you could put up all the IRS pics you have in this thread. Any other info to help other members pull this off would be awsome. I'm currently looking at a 8.8 4-link with coilovers, but this would be a functioning conversation piece. I can post the pics in photobucket so there bigger if you want.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #37

Very nice! How does it handle? Wheel hop issues?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #38

Quote: Originally Posted by blueionia
Very nice! How does it handle? Wheel hop issues?
I haven't had any issue with wheel hop but because its a Dana 36 it's a 2.59:1 ring gear. I ran nitto nt555rs on the back but it doesn't hop like my 91 vette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.