aluminum driveshaft/ single piece - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

aluminum driveshaft/ single piece

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
FWD's suck

User is: OffLine
Arrow aluminum driveshaft/ single piece

this is for all of you ext cab guys who want an one piece driveshaft or for you standard cab guys who want to switch to aluminum. While i was in the process of building my truck i want to ditch the 2 piece shaft and put in a single piece steel. While i was thinking about this i found out that newer 2500 chevy pickups come with 4" aluminum driveshafts. for $50 i went and took one out of one in a junkyard. The driveshaft is about 68 1/2" long and will have to be cut down for almost everbody. I had to take 4" off mine. I just wanted to let everyone know that if you want to change to a single piece or upgrade you can pull one out of this truck and have it shortened for a few bucks. The rear U joint fits both the 8.5 and 7.5, the only thing you will have to do is have the tranny yokes changed. These shafts are strong with all welded joints (some have crimped ends)
Just wanted to let everyone know. Pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited by zerogravity58; 08-07-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Blown ex ***

Re: aluminum driveshaft/ single piece

yeah, thats the easy part. but if your any kind of lowered, and who isn't. the shaft is going to hit the floor.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
FWD's suck

Im lowered 3". You do have to clearance the floor alittle. That is with all ext cabs when you switch to a single piece shaft.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
the youngest has been

Quote: Originally Posted by zerogravity58
Im lowered 3". You do have to clearance the floor alittle. That is with all ext cabs when you switch to a single piece shaft.
where does the floor have to be clearenced?

good info, now i just have to find a newer truck with an aluminum driveshaft
Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

will the front of the driveshaft fit into the transmission tailshaft of the 2.2 5-speed?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
\X/

pics? what gen truck?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
FWD's suck

i dont have any pics off hand but it was put in a ext cab 92 s10.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #8

the reason why gm used a 2 piece drive shaft was for vibration corectness, if you switch to a one piece, you will most likely devolope a noice, there was a tsb on it for the ext cab extremes which originaly came with a 1 piece shaft.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
FWD's suck

no you wont develop any noise as long as you shim the rearend to get the right pinion angle. Reason GM used a 2 piece is because a single hits the floor.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
It WAS a Blazer

So how much is "a few bucks" to have it shortened, and can't shortening it throw it out of balance?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #11
FWD's suck

no if they shorten it and its out they can rebalcne them. it cost me like $125 to have it shortened with new U joints.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
FWD's suck

i probally dont have $200 in whole driveshaft. Its 5" shaft and im running it at the strip with no problems in my truck. If you have a ext cab truck you do need to clearance the floor...I cut a section out of floor in the ext cab part of the truck. Like a 5x12 piece. Im going to make something to go over it eventually. Other then that it fits fine. If you need a driveshaft loop tho you need to get one custom made. None of the ones i have found fit around the driveshaft.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
I like COOTER

Quote: Originally Posted by sdimenightlight
the reason why gm used a 2 piece drive shaft was for vibration corectness, if you switch to a one piece, you will most likely devolope a noice, there was a tsb on it for the ext cab extremes which originaly came with a 1 piece shaft.
dunno where you got this info but I think it might be wrong
NO 2wd 2nd GEN EX CAB had a 1 pc driveshaft from the factory

the frame isnt designed to accept an xtreme because of the carrier bearing cross member
no granted a stock truck CAN run a 1pc driveshaft without it hitting the carrier bearing x-member
but if your reall think about it
GM designed the S10 as a truck 1st and foremost
and said truck is designed to haul stuff and if you haul alot of stuff in the bed it will lower the rear of the truck and cause BAD things to happen if there was a 1 pc driveshaft in there with a carrier bearing x-member in the way

all 2wd X-cabs have the same frame whether ist an xtreme, ZQ8 or regular suspension
with means that even tho the xtreme isnt rated to carry as much weight in the bed as a Z85 truck the frame itself is designed the exact same way no matter what suspension is attached to it and all 2nd gen ex cab frames have a carrier bearing x-member which is why it makes it all but impossible for any 2wd ex cab to have a 1 pc driveshaft from the factory especially just xtremes
Old 02-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
IYAOYAS

where did you buy the yoke parts from?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
FWD's suck

i bought mine at a local shop....
Old 02-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
LSxtremin FoLyfe

so if was just doin this 02 as a sport truck a one piece would work cuz im not putin a load in it just a box cover,and what year of full size is it?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #17
FWD's suck

its newer fullsizes that have them like 2000 and up 2500's....they might go back older then that but im not sure. You can do it with no problems but it could hit the floor in the ext cab area....i cut my floor and welded a piece of metale the extend the tranny tunnel...i will get pics of it sometime...
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
The Anti-Hick

If you're a hard core racer, you'll break them fast. I've seen brand new 5" ones snapped in two on mildly powerful cars. If you're racing, stay with steel, or go with carbon fiber.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #19
FWD's suck

ive been running this for awhile now...its went 11.2's at 122 with no problems with wheel hop and all last season...
Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
ol' bodybuilder

Quote: Originally Posted by MPETESS10
dunno where you got this info but I think it might be wrong
NO 2wd 2nd GEN EX CAB had a 1 pc driveshaft from the factory

the frame isnt designed to accept an xtreme because of the carrier bearing cross member
no granted a stock truck CAN run a 1pc driveshaft without it hitting the carrier bearing x-member
but if your reall think about it
GM designed the S10 as a truck 1st and foremost
and said truck is designed to haul stuff and if you haul alot of stuff in the bed it will lower the rear of the truck and cause BAD things to happen if there was a 1 pc driveshaft in there with a carrier bearing x-member in the way

all 2wd X-cabs have the same frame whether ist an xtreme, ZQ8 or regular suspension
with means that even tho the xtreme isnt rated to carry as much weight in the bed as a Z85 truck the frame itself is designed the exact same way no matter what suspension is attached to it and all 2nd gen ex cab frames have a carrier bearing x-member which is why it makes it all but impossible for any 2wd ex cab to have a 1 pc driveshaft from the factory especially just xtremes
This info must only be good for a 1st gen S-10. I just got done crawling out from under my '97 S-10 ext cab, 2.2, 5 sp. The first driveline comes out of the transmission "almost" straight for ~40% the distance to the diff. The crossmember would be right in the way with a one-piece. If you went over the top of the cross member, it'd definately hit it. If you went below the member, if it'd even connect, it'd hit the member - if it didn't, it would the first bump you hit!

Sounded like a good idea.

Last edited by developed; 03-10-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
FWD's suck

when you put in a single piece you cut out the carrier bearing crossmember. You no longer need it with a single piece driveshaft. The reason they dont run a single piece is because it hits the floor for one and two when you load the bed up alot it would throw the pinion angle way off on a factory truck. I corrected this by adding 4 degress shim to the rear to correct the pinion angle.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #22
ol' bodybuilder

Lightbulb Re: aluminum driveshaft/ single piece

when you put in a single piece you cut out the carrier bearing crossmember. You no longer need it with a single piece driveshaft. The reason they dont run a single piece is because it hits the floor for one and two when you load the bed up alot it would throw the pinion angle way off on a factory truck. I corrected this by adding 4 degress shim to the rear to correct the pinion angle.
OK - now this makes sense (should have stated this in the first post buddy)

Tell me if I'm reading this correctly. If you shim/tilt up the axle 4 degrees, you don't need to cut the floor? What did you use for the 4 degree shim?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #23
The Anti-Hick

ive been running this for awhile now...its went 11.2's at 122 with no problems with wheel hop and all last season...

Not fast (yet) or heavy enough.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #24
FWD's suck

its going to go 10' on the driveshaft this year. actually i shimmed the rearend down 4 degrees to correct for the pinion angle for when i launch.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #25
The Anti-Hick

I had two buddies in early 80's Trans Ams with custom aluminum driveshafts (4") snap them in two the first time they launched on them at Norwalk in OH. Be careful.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #26

Im from the detroit Michigan area and i had a 2 piece shaft snap on my dumba$$ so here i am with 2 options:1. I can have the double cardan joint eliminated and keep a two piece and I am actually gonna have the spring perches rewelded onto the rearend instead of using shims 2.I can have the 1 piece 4" aluminum 1996 chevy fullsize driveshaft made to fit(which doesnt fit presently) the guy told me the end caps off of it will actually fit into 5" aluminum tubing. I like the idea of the 5" one piece and i already clearanced the floor for the 4". But i have had problems with the midshift bearing in 2 different s10's ive owned. So i was wondering if the was a better midshift bearing out there? Also i was wondering if it affects the frame negatively when you cut out the carrier bearing cross member?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #27
FWD's suck

actually thats a misprint i never noticed i have a 5" aluminum driveshaft from a 2500....there isnt really another carrier bearing the whole 2 peice driveshaft is a crappy design to start with. The fullsize driveshafts will be like 8" longer then you will need but anyplace can shorten it.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #28

Well after saving a little money and waiting a little bit, and then finally talking to a drive shaft shop/guy that isnt going to bullshit me. There is a drive shaft shop called CCI out about 30 minutes from detroit,MI. The whole operation is owned by a guy named mike and its a family operation. Well anyways unlike some of the local rear end guys and suspension guys when i told him of my problem....he came right out into the parking lot with me and crawled under my truck with me and took a look. So long story short he told me he can build me a 5 inch one piece aluminum or rebuild the back half of a two piece, either way I will NOT be able to break it. Well i told him that i was told a one piece is better/stronger he told me with alot of driveshafts he builds the cars are too fast to have a one piece...(not to sure what that means) so he makes them a two piece. If i used the one piece id have to clearance the floor more and remove the crossmember...he also told me that if I bottom out or hit that aluminum on anything even once it would be done. So with all that said he said he can build me a two piece to outlast my truck that will never give me a problem. Also from what i am told by local guys is CCI is the shit. Mike told me that that build hundreds of 2 piece s10 driveshafts more than anyone else in MI. So in all this I am not saying one way is better but I am getting it done this week. If i have any regerets or problems ill post and let ya know.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #29
FWD's suck

This is true you do have to clearance the floor as stated above...plus if you hit the aluminum and dent it then you are pretty much done..Im running a single piece 5" and my truck is lowered 4" all the way around and i havent had any problems with it. With a single piece over a 2 piece there is less drivetrain loss. I dont understand how a car is to fast for a single piece driveshaft?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #30
ol' bodybuilder

I dont understand how a car is to fast for a single piece driveshaft?
It may be the shop makes MORE money doing two pieces
Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #31

Quote: Originally Posted by developed
It may be the shop makes MORE money doing two pieces
Not so much, it would be the same price either way i go.
like i said im not saying which way anyone should go i just said the way i was gonna go. As far as being too fast for a one piece ill have him explaing to me and get back to you guys...either way this guy does nothing but driveshafts day in and day out and hes been noting but helpful ...so all the mechanics and shop guys around me say they are The shop to go to. So i guess well have to see i'll be the test subject
Old 05-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #32

No update on this?
I think what the driveshaft shop might have been refering to, in going too fast for a one piece shaft, is because of the longer length and the lower u-joint angle, the shaft would be allowed to vibrate more.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #33
ol' bodybuilder

Quote: Originally Posted by poconojoe
No update on this?
I think what the driveshaft shop might have been refering to, in going too fast for a one piece shaft, is because of the longer length and the lower u-joint angle, the shaft would be allowed to vibrate more.
But if your truck is dropped 4" in the back, you wouldn't have near as much angle, would you?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:53 AM   #34

Quote: Originally Posted by developed
But if your truck is dropped 4" in the back, you wouldn't have near as much angle, would you?
Which would make it even worst for a long driveshaft.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #35
Drag Truck In Making

Hey. I don't know if its been stated or not, but they're not just on 2500. I had a 97 Long bed 1500 with a 4.3L and the 4L60E trans. It had a long thick aluminum diveshaft. Quite light. I might source out one for my 02 xcab sonoma, but Im more interested in a posi unit with some 3.55 or 3.73's.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #36
Chevy and GMC 's rule all

So wat do O do when swapping out an 4wd auto tranny for a 2wd auto tranny? I have a 2 piece driveshaft? do I have to have a 1 piece or can I still use my 2 piece? yes I have extended cab but I cannot find a 4x4 auto 700r4 4l60 tranny anywhere so I have to deal with a 2wd swap! anyone know what shaft I need for this? any info appreciated!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #37
ol' bodybuilder

its going to go 10' on the driveshaft this year. actually i shimmed the rearend down 4 degrees to correct for the pinion angle for when i launch.
I want to have my shit together on this mod.

Do you know what the angle is on drop blocks for extended cabs - I don't believe it's 4 degrees?

I'm doing 3" dropped springs and a 1" block. Would it be better to get regular cab blocks (no angle cut) and 4 degree shims? Or - would it be better to get the extended cab blocks and make up the difference with a shim to achieve a total of 4 degree angle?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #38
\X/

I measured my 2nd gen extended cab and there is no way to fit a one piece without radically cutting the cab up. I'm only lowered about 3 inches and it looks too close for me. What would be nice is to bolt on some sort of extension to the back of the tranny to get the first u-joint past the low spot. Maybe like an external overdrive for the older trannies or even a gutted transfer case....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #39
FWD's suck

for a 2 wheel drive there isnt really anything you can bolt on. This is one reason the truck did not come with a 2 piece driveshaft due to the clearance issues. The only way it will fit is to cut the a piece of floor out of the extended cab and add a cover. I cut out about a 12" piece and bent up a piece of metal to cover the hole up. You could also get a custom 2-1/2 or 3" steel driveshaft for around $300.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #40

Any clearance problems with a regular cab/long bed? I'm assuming the 2-piece driveshaft is the same set-up as the ex-cab. Same frame under ex-cab/short bed as reg cab/long bed, right?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #41
FWD's suck

im not sure about the long beds but if i had to guess i would say that the driveshaft would clear in the reg cab long bed trucks.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #42
\X/

Quote: Originally Posted by 02SonomaDenali
Hey. I don't know if its been stated or not, but they're not just on 2500. I had a 97 Long bed 1500 with a 4.3L and the 4L60E trans. It had a long thick aluminum diveshaft. Quite light. I might source out one for my 02 xcab sonoma, but Im more interested in a posi unit with some 3.55 or 3.73's.
Ok wait a minute....

Does a one piece work or not on a 2nd gen x-cab lowered?

I measured mine and don't think so.... but i do have a the tranny spacer in right now also.

also this tells me it's possible: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/da...arning-201468/
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #43
\X/

Quote: Originally Posted by AnnDee4444
I measured my 2nd gen extended cab and there is no way to fit a one piece without radically cutting the cab up. I'm only lowered about 3 inches and it looks too close for me. What would be nice is to bolt on some sort of extension to the back of the tranny to get the first u-joint past the low spot. Maybe like an external overdrive for the older trannies or even a gutted transfer case....
btw I take that back

I was measuring the max travel i would get from axle to frame... but the max travel I can possibly get right now is much less due to one of the cross members

I DO think a one piece will fit on a 2nd gen lowered with some trimming of a brace underneath the cab and possibly removing the carrier barring crossmember
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #44
FWD's suck

you would have to remove the carrier bearing cross member and probally cut a whole in the floor of the xtended cab and lengthen the tranny tunnel. Thats what i did with mine and it clears with no problems.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #45
\X/

you would have to remove the carrier bearing cross member and probally cut a whole in the floor of the xtended cab and lengthen the tranny tunnel. Thats what i did with mine and it clears with no problems.

what about if i used a 4" or 3" shaft?

check this: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/da...arning-201468/
Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #46

ok i dont know if someone has said this or if my truck is just different cause it was a govt truck. but my 99 s10 ext cab 4x4 has a single piece aluminum shaft. i dont know if it will work but just a thought.

never mind being a 4x4 there is a transferr case and thhus it would be to short

Last edited by DEADMANWALKING; 03-15-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #47
\X/

I started a new thread on my install:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/al...ed-cab-285745/
Old 03-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #48

Quote: Originally Posted by tippmann243
where does the floor have to be clearenced?

good info, now i just have to find a newer truck with an aluminum driveshaft
Tippman: I'm new here. My 1996 SL 4.3L 4x4 is new to me also.

IT HAS THE 4" ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT.
I've had difficulty finding ANY parts catalog info on this driveshaft for my stock SL

Original owner says it came from the factory. He had no clue.

I saw one blurb on a net site yesterday that talked about the 1997 S10 SS with "the unusual 4" aluminum driveshaft" but none of the SS "boyz" in the forums ever mentioned it when arguing about SS specs. I was unable to join in.

WHO KNOWS THE STORY ON THIS ? Thanks, folks.

Bill O
Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #49

constant velocity joint. that is the issue, big time vibration and noise.

common problem with lowered s-10. single piece shaft was the ansewer. l was told re on the original will have u returning. local guy takes the original, cuts it , welds it making it one piece.

i should get the car back this wednesday. i will post pics. i was only 9000km from warranty. cost all done around 850 cdn
Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #50
Weres The Paint?

ya ive got a 3/5 lower and i was hawling my bike in the back over the weakend and broke my drive shaft were it goes into the reaar end. ive been looking all day for one and everyones is telling me thats its hard to find cause they only made that drive shaft for a 98 ex cab 4.3lt. can anyhow help me out or give me some suggestions what to do.? i have NO WHEELS. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.