Adjusting 4L60E tranny TV Cable?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Adjusting 4L60E tranny TV Cable??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

User is: OffLine
Adjusting 4L60E tranny TV Cable??

Can it be adjusted and how?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
goin broke but n style

Re: Adjusting 4L60E tranny TV Cable??

no, it doesn't have one,

I have not seen a 4l60e with one. A 700R4 does.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
import killer

unless he has a 4l60.
on my 92 when i hooked up the scan tool. it shows a 700r4/4l60
Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #4

If it is a non electronic 700R4...as in a 4L60E it shouldnt have it. If its a 700R4 or 4L60, then it does. The TV cable should only be adjusted to its set position and is not used to adjust shifting and such. If you do use it to adjust your shifts, you are not going to do any good. It will shorten the trannys life. Now, to reset it correctly, find the TV adjuster at the throttle lever on the Carb, TBI or TB unit. This one pulls out as throttle is increased and is usually attached to the bottom. After you find it, look at where it its mounted to the bracket. There is a round or d-shaped button. Press it in and push the cable sleeving toward the firewall/ away from the throttle plate. Once all the way back, rotate the throttle to wide open (WOT). The TV cable sleeve will 'ratchet' out to the correct set position. Pending its the original and proper cable. The TV adjust the line pressure in the tranny according to the throttles position. More throttle the higher the pressure. The Governor is also responsible for line pressure in relation to road speed....but its main function is shift points. I wont get into the Governor and how it works in detail, but if you would like to know just ask. The springs and weights on the Governor are responsible for the shift RPMs. Hope this helps =)
Old 09-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

Quote: Originally Posted by Mikz86TA
If it is a non electronic 700R4...as in a 4L60E it shouldnt have it. If its a 700R4 or 4L60, then it does. The TV cable should only be adjusted to its set position and is not used to adjust shifting and such. If you do use it to adjust your shifts, you are not going to do any good. It will shorten the trannys life. Now, to reset it correctly, find the TV adjuster at the throttle lever on the Carb, TBI or TB unit. This one pulls out as throttle is increased and is usually attached to the bottom. After you find it, look at where it its mounted to the bracket. There is a round or d-shaped button. Press it in and push the cable sleeving toward the firewall/ away from the throttle plate. Once all the way back, rotate the throttle to wide open (WOT). The TV cable sleeve will 'ratchet' out to the correct set position. Pending its the original and proper cable. The TV adjust the line pressure in the tranny according to the throttles position. More throttle the higher the pressure. The Governor is also responsible for line pressure in relation to road speed....but its main function is shift points. I wont get into the Governor and how it works in detail, but if you would like to know just ask. The springs and weights on the Governor are responsible for the shift RPMs. Hope this helps =)
You are correct, A little more research yesterday revealed I don't have a TV cable.

So, the question is, is there a way of adjusting the cable to the lever on the side of the tranny that coincides with the shifter on the column. It seems to be an 1/8" too long. I can drop the shifter into 1st, but the tranny doesn't get into first. I climb under the truck and have to flip the lever just another 1/8" for it to click fully into first. So, I think the cable is just a hair too long for some reason.

Anyway of adjusting it?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
11 second station wagon

most 95 up use a adjustable shift cable which will move just like a tV cable adjuster. Chock the wheels, Climb under your truck and push in the cable adjustment button and adust it to first.... then make sure it still goes all the way in park.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

Quote: Originally Posted by The Stunningman
most 95 up use a adjustable shift cable which will move just like a tV cable adjuster. Chock the wheels, Climb under your truck and push in the cable adjustment button and adust it to first.... then make sure it still goes all the way in park.
Man, I've tried that same routine for each gear and when I'm done, I can put it into park but still can't get it into first. Again, getting under there and flipping the lever that last 1/8" needed for it click into first manually at the trans. Its like no matter what I do, I can't get the bitch into 1st manually on the column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.