95 chevy s10 problems with clutch disengaging - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

95 chevy s10 problems with clutch disengaging

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
4 Year Intermediate Tech

User is: Online
95 chevy s10 problems with clutch disengaging

Alright so the trans is a nv3500 and I just got done doing a new clutch, when I put the slave cylinder back in I forgot to line the slave pushrod up into the clutch fork dimple. I tested the pedal and it got really hard suddenly and the clutch pedal bushing went boom. Just the plastic piece. I pulled the slave back out and the pushrod was wedged behind the fork. I put it back in the dimple and bought a new bushing and installed the master cylinder rod back on the pedal, I soon got the pedal pressure back. So here's the problem, when I push it to the floor and slowly test reverse it will grind. It feels like its moving at idle speed. But if I shut it off put it in reverse and start it it doesn't bog the motor. When I pull it out of reverse while running and try to go back in its once again moving at engine speed. Is the slave damaged? Or will a bleed of the system work? Nothing was disconnected from the slave or master during the clutch install. It didn't bend the slave or master pushrod just the bushing clip broke. What do you guys think it is? Has the external slave btw on the pass side
Attached Thumbnails
95 chevy s10 problems with clutch disengaging-image.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

Re: 95 chevy s10 problems with clutch disengaging

You need to try another method of bleeding.

The slave must be detached with the line still connected and tipped up so the bleeder is the highest point for the air.

I would also be best to reverse bleed, but try just the slave cylinder tilt first.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
4 Year Intermediate Tech

So every time you do a clutch you bleed it even though it was never disconnected? Is it just to take up the new slack from the added clutch? Il try the tilt method this weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Ah, I assumed you opened the line.

Was the old clutch releasing OK?

What brand is the new clutch? Not real likely the new clutch is bad but I've had a few in my time.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Oh yeah old one released great. Replaced it with the same valeo clutch and pressure plate that was on it and had the flywheel resurfaced. When I put the slave back in and bolted it up the pushrod wasn't in the fork it was laying their. When I pushed the pedal it got super hard and jammed the slave rod way in their . Maybe it's damaged from over extension. Bleeding it might fix it I hope. When I could shift it after work today the clutch worked great. Lots of bite to it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #6

I don't think your incident with the push rod damaged anything.

Causes of a clutch not releasing are;

- Air in the system. Right now I wouldn't suspect anything here, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

- Transmission input shaft tight in bushing. If the shaft is tight in the bushing in the flywheel the shaft will continue to spin even with the clutch depressed.

- A warped clutch disc. If during the install the transmission was allowed to hang down the transmission input shaft can twist the clutch disc and once finally installed the clutch disc will always drag on the flywheel and clutch cover.

- And the clutch itself can be made poor. I've used Valeo before without problems.

I'd try bleeding it to remove that as a possibility, then consider the other causes.

I once wnet through 5 clutches on a Jeep before I changed brands and then it worked.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Uh oh I just remembered something. When I put up the trans I remember after I got the splines in I carefully used the bell bolts to help pull up the trans the rest of the way which was not a very long distance. The dowels on the block were almost barely through the bellhousing.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
4 Year Intermediate Tech

I think it's probably tight in the pilot. I didn't really know how far to go with the bushing so I put it at the same depth as the old one
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Thanks for helping out v8, i think I know what it is. I'm new to the nv3500, this time il take off the pressure plate and clutch disk and test fit the trans before I do final assembly. I bet if I knock the pilot bushing back a 1/4" it will slide right up. Ugh rookie mistake. Going to cost me a lot of labor but at least I didn't get the exhaust welded up so it should only take a day or 2 il post back the results after its done.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Update, I pulled the trans and carefully removed the pressure plate and clutch. Pressed out the pilot with a couple pieces of soft white bread and started looking. The only thing I noticed is a light scuffing on the input shaft and the pilot that come with the kit was made of iron and steel. Pressed the brass bushing I took out in its place and put the trans back up. Sure enough it slid in like butter. So much so that it wedged my fingers. Pretty sure it's going to work this time around.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Registered Hoosier

User is: OffLine

I have had the same problem with resurfaced flywheels. I depends on how much is removed from them. In effect, it moves the flywheel and clutch away from the slave cylinder. When the clutch pedal is depressed all the way, the arm is too far away to release the clutch fully. Since I started either reusuing the flywheel as is, or replacing it with new, I have not had a problem. I fixed some by lengthening the push rod
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
4 Year Intermediate Tech

well i got some bad news but i think i know what it is. the slave isnt working like its supposed to. doesnt extend very far anymore after i over extended it going to try a new slave
Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Can someone tell me how to remove the quik connect line at the end? has a small pin in it too, nothing to open like a nut.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Alright I got a new slave bench bled it before install but I noticed something when I had my brother pumping the clutch. The master cylinder was pushing fluid up through the bottom when pressed. It made the fluid kind of jump up like a little spike. Also noticed that the master was not providing enough push to break the bands on the slave that hold it down before install. So I think I trashed the master when I tried to force the pedal. I also found debris floating in the master and it looks like it may have leaked at one time because of the rust stains and flaked paint right under the master. I guess my little incident put it six feet under. Il try a new master cylinder after I get paid. Il repost lster after I replace it. If that doesn't fix it then its probably going to need a flywheel shim.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Well tried messing with it again this morning and finally got things working. I disconnected the master from the firewall and held it 45 degrees with a zip tie. I then disconnected the slave and held it 45 degrees and pumped the slave pushrod and heard a huge gurgle pop sound from up top. I pumped it about 15 times. Put everything back together accept for the cruise control box (don't use it so why have it in their) and pumped the clutch pedal about 50 times. Topped of fluid and started. At first it didn't want to go into gear like before. So I pumped the pedal 5 times and presto. I can now fully disengage the clutch, and the trans spin down time is about 6 seconds or less. Ran it hot to see if anything was going to bind, but nothing did. Sweet, I didn't think getting air out of this system was that much of a pain. Thanks for the trouble shooting. Learned a lot about this manual trans system. This 95 is my first 5 speed s10. Can't believe I got it for 1200.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Here's my 95 ext cab chevy.
Attached Thumbnails
95 chevy s10 problems with clutch disengaging-image.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Well thought I fixed it but turns out it was a fluke. Drove all the way to town no problems until I started hitting lights. Trans would not go into 1st at all just like if the clutch wasn't fully disengaging so I tried dropping it in second. Bam threw the stick right out of gear. Tried third, it went in and I was able to get going. It did this to me at every place I had to stop at. Now when I push the pedal I hear a click somewhere under the hood
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Just tried a test here in the parking lot. If I mash the clutch pedal with it running to the point my foot hurts and it digs into the carpet I can get it to allow me into first with slight resistance. Ugh this drive home is not going to be fun at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #19
4 Year Intermediate Tech

Well found what it was, the clutch pedal pin that attaches the mc pushrod to the pedal keeps sliding out of place. Is their something else that needs to go on the pin besides the plastic bushing? Is their a cotter pin somewhere on it or locking washer? I didn't find anything on the floor when it grenaded except for the plastic clip.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #20

hey grease monkey need to ask u some questions about ur clutch
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
4 Year Intermediate Tech

I can try and help what's up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.