6l60E tranny? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

6l60E tranny?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
6l60E tranny?

I have been considering a 5.3l swap or a 5.7l swap and I was talking to my grandpa about it and he was asking about using a 6l60E transmission off of a newer cadillac for the transmission. So I started to wonder. Anyone know if it's possible? Or it could possibly be the 6l80E he was referring too... it's the 6 speed automatic tranny.

Last edited by digital_xtreme; 07-13-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Lifted Member

Re: 6l60E tranny?

There's a 6L60, 70, 80 and 90...6L90E being the one found in the newer Cadillac Escalades and EXT's. I believe the 6L60, 70 and 80 are more for sports cars since the transmissions are designed for and the ratios intended to provide a very wide speed range on high-horsepower sports cars. Note how the gear spacing is fairly wide on the bottom end then closes on the top. This will provide rapid acceleration from a standstill, good gear selection in the twisties, and a very high top speed.

The 6L90 is for smooth truck applications where more torque is found in the lower rpm's since off-road driving requires more low-speed gear choices at off-road speeds. A good truck transmission has narrow gear spacing in the lower gears and wider ratios the higher up you go. This provides better off-road power application choices, yet still retains some semblance of fuel economy on the highway. I plan to use the 6L90E in my truck behind the VortecMAX 6.0L, since I no longer have a "sport" truck. When I find out more, I'll post but right now I too am in the research stages. One thing is for sure though, it will cost a pretty penny, but is well worth it, IMO.

Since you don't seem to be lifted, here's a bit of info for you on the 6L80E.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/ts...-07-30-023.pdf

Last edited by Rinkrat456; 07-13-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #3

Awesome thanks for the info, my grandpa has a transmission shop and sometimes can get his hands on some of these tranny's thats why he was asking because the whole swapping my engine out for a bigger one is confusing to him because he doesn't know how people can do that, but as far as tranny's go he knows a lot about them and their applications. I'll have to see if he knows of any 6l90's... but thanks for the info on it. Do you know if they will bolt up to 5.3l's or 5.7's?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Build them right....Mod

They will bolt up to a Gen 3 or 4 engine, but as of yet, the aftermarket has not developed an inexpensive controller for the 6L80/90E transmissions.

You might be able to do it using an entire wiring harness from an Escalade. Would be an incredible amount of work.

I'm aware of one fabricator who is installing a 6.2/6L80E transmission in a 70's Pontiac Grand Prix. He still has not moved to the transmission yet.

It might be easier to use an automatic version of gear vendors external OD unit.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Good Bye SonomaST

they(new 6L's) have the TCM inside the transmission, could you not somehow wire it so it could work then go in with software and manually tune it? and i doubt you will find any 6L90's(for the time being), i know GM has said that the first 1,000 units that mess up are to go straight to them, no tearing apart, no looking, nothing. Take it out, put the new one in, and i havent heard of any problems with these trannies other than low rant software issues. I have re-programmed quite a few of the Escalades in the last 3 weeks because of slight noises and bumps and such noises from the tranny that is due to shifting funny. but other than that, those are the only problems i know of, havent heard of one biting the dust
Old 07-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
NTBSSHEVN

Quote: Originally Posted by 91sonomast
they(new 6L's) have the TCM inside the transmission, could you not somehow wire it so it could work then go in with software and manually tune it? and i doubt you will find any 6L90's(for the time being), i know GM has said that the first 1,000 units that mess up are to go straight to them, no tearing apart, no looking, nothing. Take it out, put the new one in, and i havent heard of any problems with these trannies other than low rant software issues. I have re-programmed quite a few of the Escalades in the last 3 weeks because of slight noises and bumps and such noises from the tranny that is due to shifting funny. but other than that, those are the only problems i know of, havent heard of one biting the dust
A guy in my GM ASEP class had to replaced the module that's inside the transmission on one. That's the only thing I've heard so far.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Good Bye SonomaST

Quote: Originally Posted by NCHEVYHEVN
A guy in my GM ASEP class had to replaced the module that's inside the transmission on one. That's the only thing I've heard so far.
aaaahhhhhhh sweet another ASEP guy, im in ASEP to, im in Advanced Electrical now then have Advanced Engine Performance next month then im finished. where are you in the program?
thats the biggest repair ive heard of so far. all the ones ive seen/heard are just software related
Old 07-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
NTBSSHEVN

aaaahhhhhhh sweet another ASEP guy, im in ASEP to, im in Advanced Electrical now then have Advanced Engine Performance next month then im finished. where are you in the program?
thats the biggest repair ive heard of so far. all the ones ive seen/heard are just software related
I'm in automatic transmissions right now. I graduate in just a week and a half.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Good Bye SonomaST

nice nice, ya'll must do a different setup than we do. have already taken the 2 advance classes? what are you looking to do once you graduate? what product line are you in?
im gonna be doing transmissions, and im at cadillac! but have a little chevy experience also. i plan on moving back home in 2 years or so and hopefully working at the local GM dealership.....literally GM, Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, GMC. They got i all covered lol
Old 07-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
NTBSSHEVN

Your gonna laugh but I actually do parts now. I did the regular internships stuff as a mechanic and well I just don't have the patience to work on cars all day and all week. I love the parts department though. And I'll be looking once the oppertunity rises to move back to service as a service writer.

And I'm currently at a Buick dealer right now. Nothing but old grandma cars.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Good Bye SonomaST

Your gonna laugh but I actually do parts now. I did the regular internships stuff as a mechanic and well I just don't have the patience to work on cars all day and all week. I love the parts department though. And I'll be looking once the oppertunity rises to move back to service as a service writer.

And I'm currently at a Buick dealer right now. Nothing but old grandma cars.
HAHAHAHA thats awesome! i have thought about getting into parts, seems like a nice place to work, but im thinking i wanna get some experience then dive into the performance world, salary, and they want you to take ur time, and usually awesome people to work with. dealership shit is like being back in h.s. with all the drama
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
NTBSSHEVN

HAHAHAHA thats awesome! i have thought about getting into parts, seems like a nice place to work, but im thinking i wanna get some experience then dive into the performance world, salary, and they want you to take ur time, and usually awesome people to work with. dealership shit is like being back in h.s. with all the drama
It is alot of drama and I really felt rushed. They would want to charge the customer 4 hours but then the service writer wants it done in an hour. Then you got the techs. that will complain if they don't get all the work.

Now I wouldn't mind getting into the performance world. Like you said it's alot more relaxed and you can take your time. Wouldn't mind getting into the electrical side of motors and programming.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Good Bye SonomaST

It is alot of drama and I really felt rushed. They would want to charge the customer 4 hours but then the service writer wants it done in an hour. Then you got the techs. that will complain if they don't get all the work.

Now I wouldn't mind getting into the performance world. Like you said it's alot more relaxed and you can take your time. Wouldn't mind getting into the electrical side of motors and programming.
yeah at my old job they rushed me and plus i wasnt learning anything but oil changes, so i quit there, just packed up my box one evening had one of my friends help me load, service manager asked what i was doing, i smiled and said I QUIT, this place ****ing sucks, u arent using me for anything but cheap ass labor so u can kiss my ass! my job now kicks lotsa ass, they dont rush u, the tech im working with walks me step by step through things, helps me when i need it no questions asked, just so much better. about the pay, i dont have any complaints about that, im not gonna replace a tranny for 160-240 bux(2-3 hours labor), tough cookie, that shit pays 6 hours by God i want my money lol. i have very little compassion there, there are a few things that i will chop time on but thats how i make my living, and as far as im concerned they are paying for my knowledge, expertise, and knowing that the job was done right, and if for some reason there is a problem with the integrity of my work, i WILL fix it when it comes back,, doesnt matter if i do end up losing money on it, it will get done right! and as far as the guys who complain, i take it with a grain of salt and just push their buttons to piss em off even more
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #14

Anyone no of a 6 speed transmission that will bolt n a 02 s10 with a 4.3.
My transmission is fixn 2 crap or on me and I would like 2 find a 6 speed if possible
Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
goin broke but n style

LT1 T56 manual will bolt right up.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #16

Mine is auto

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #17

so has any one stuck one in an s10 yet, if so please give some details of the task. I would love to give it a whirl but i heard there is some major tranny tunnel modding to do to get a 6l60e to fit right, if any one knows about this please spill the beans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.