4l60e years that interchange - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4l60e years that interchange

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

4l60e years that interchange

I need an automatic transmission for my 2000 2.2l s10 and haven't been able to find which years will interchange. I've tried searching and found conflicting answers.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #2

Re: 4l60e years that interchange

anyone? i've read 96 and up a few places but just want to confirm, also will i 96 just bolt right in with no mods
Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Scatter Brained

User is: OffLine

Basically, it is the electronics that will give you a problem. For the least amount of trouble, try staying with the same year. The 4L60E saw considerable upgrades in late 97 with small improvements every so often after that.

If you are dead set on using an alternate year, it can be done, but the PCM will need to be re-flashed to match the tranny, as well as some wiring modifications. Some models have a different solenoid setup. Stay away from that 96, it is junk. Use a late 97 or newer.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
11 second station wagon

Quote: Originally Posted by yfzmxracer
I need an automatic transmission for my 2000 2.2l s10 and haven't been able to find which years will interchange. I've tried searching and found conflicting answers.

The 1998 up 4L60E transmissions used a Graphite lock-up converter and the lock-upp mechanism NEVER fully locks it is controlled slippage usually about 60 to 100rpm's min.

The 1996-1997 used a carbon lock-up that is designed to slip then lock.

IMO I would just get the right transmission for the truck.

If you do try the swap be aware of the converter differences and get the right one for the year truck you are installing the transmission in. The pan on the 1998 up is deeper and holds more fluid definitely re-use that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.