4L60E torque converter lockup? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4L60E torque converter lockup?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #1

4L60E torque converter lockup?

My V6 98 jimmy 4dr has the 4L60E tranny... I know this is electronically controlled. Would it be easy to add a switch to manually lockup the torque converter? I feel the tranny does a lot of "searching" and it unlocks at the slightest hill or passing nudge... I'd like to be able to lock the TCC at my will. The newer trucks "tow/haul" switch locks the torque converter from gears 2-6... With my Volvo and Toyota I could install a switch between a pin on the tranny harness and bridge it to ground to lock the TCC. Can I do this with the 4L60E. Anyone know how to do this?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
Stock

User is: OffLine
Re: 4L60E torque converter lockup?

i know there is a kit to do this for the 700r4 but i don't know of one for the 4l60e.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:08 AM   #3

You'd be better off having the PCM reflashed with lockup settings that suit your driving. The lockup switch on the newer full size trucks goes to an input on the PCM and it is programmed to use it. You could switch out the PCM and harness from one, but it wouldn't be worth the work. There is also aftermarket tranny controlles out there, that you could use. Locking it up is going to make the truck's acceloration slugish. If you manually lock it up the PCM will set error codes.

PS The newer trucks keep the convertor unlocked, not locked and if you have the allison, you can also set it to stay out of high gear
Old 09-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #4

btw, I've double-checked, and the newer trans "such as allison" will actually keep the torque converter LOCKED in 2-6th gear.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #5

looking at buying 06/07 tacoma... trans is awsome.

but I drove an 04 tacoma (with the 3.4L V6 and the 4spd auto) and even that had a much better trans feel. These 4L60E trans suck by comparison.

anyone recommend any brand of cost-effective way to improve trans feel and shift? Obviously reliability is important.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
good bye red, it was fun

Quote: Originally Posted by p07r0457
looking at buying 06/07 tacoma... trans is awsome.

but I drove an 04 tacoma (with the 3.4L V6 and the 4spd auto) and even that had a much better trans feel. These 4L60E trans suck by comparison.

anyone recommend any brand of cost-effective way to improve trans feel and shift? Obviously reliability is important.
you are not explaining what is the problem with the shifting, is it harsh ? hard ? i dont understand what the problemyou have is. as for the lockup yes it can be done i just have to find the diagram for it but you need a relay or 2 and you should also hook it up to the brake switch so that when you hit the brakes it unlocks the coverter no matter what position the switch is in
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 AM   #7

the problem I have is the shift is WAAAY to slow. It's that "luxury" shift. And I live in a VERY hilly area, and I tend to drive VERY agressively. After some research, these 4L60E transmissions seem to be infamous for failure... And the biggest cause of automatic transmission failure is heat... And heat is mostly generated by the torque converter in the unlocked state.

More modern transmissions lockup the torque converter sooner, and keep it locked under conditions that the 4L60E would unlock. I wish to improve on this 4L60E.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
good bye red, it was fun

shift kit to increase line pressure, GM designs them with a soft shift cause they are used in a wide variety of cars and dont want everyone driving caprices and shit to complain about harsh shifts. heat is not caused primarily by the converter being unlocked, yes it does create some heat, but not the enough to be called the main cause of failure. It sound like you got modt of your info from theguys at Midas or something cause that is what they would say, usually transmission failures are from lack of service and misuse.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:16 AM   #9

i got my information regarding heat from the guys at Level 10... I would think they know what they're talking about when it comes to transmissions.

Heat is the #1 cause of failure in an automatic transmission.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
good bye red, it was fun

i got my information regarding heat from the guys at Level 10... I would think they know what they're talking about when it comes to transmissions.

Heat is the #1 cause of failure in an automatic transmission.
ask anyone in the performance transmission world and they will tell you how bad level 10 is. they are located here in jersey and i would not let them touch the trans for my R/C cars, nevermind my race car.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #11

btw, I've double-checked, and the newer trans "such as allison" will actually keep the torque converter LOCKED in 2-6th gear.
According to allison's web site, it only keeps the convertor locked in 2nd gear in the tow/haul mode

http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA4115EN.pdf

I use one a lot of times and there is no way the convertor is locked in the higher gears, if it was the truck would hold back as soon as you lighten up on the theottle and it doesn't do that.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by poconojoe
According to allison's web site, it only keeps the convertor locked in 2nd gear in the tow/haul mode

http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA4115EN.pdf

I use one a lot of times and there is no way the convertor is locked in the higher gears, if it was the truck would hold back as soon as you lighten up on the theottle and it doesn't do that.
thats an interesting brochure. Very informative. However, I was unable to find where it mentioned what gears the TCC would lockup in. Could you reference a page or section, please?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #13

thats an interesting brochure. Very informative. However, I was unable to find where it mentioned what gears the TCC would lockup in. Could you reference a page or section, please?
Look to the right side of the GMC truck towing the horse trailer, it explains tow/haul mode. IKt only lists it keep the convertor clutch locked in second range. Also when driving the truck I use, if you're in tow mode, you don't have good engine braking going down hill unless your in 2nd. So it staying locked up in seond makes sense. I live in the Pocono mountains and I think I notice if was going downhill with the convertor locked
Old 09-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #14

I took the truck up a hill today amd played with the throttle, the convertor is not locked in 3rd or 4th, I cab get the rpms to change without the speed changing and it will freewheel going down the hill
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 AM   #15

you don't have an allison
Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 AM   #16
Unregistered User

You know you can burn up the TCC too, right?

4l60 is known to fail because its been behind 90% of GM rwd cars, trucks, vans for the past 13+ years ( more if ya wanna include it under the 700r4 name).
You dont hear about much else cause there isnt much else. Cept for in HD trucks.

Being a 4dr family car, not everyone who bought one wanted quick, neck snapping shifts. Try getting a corvette servo & a shift kit.

I dont know what you mean modern tranmissions lock sooner, it locks whenever the computer tells it too, and whenever the lockup conditions exist. My '93 would always seems to lock up right away/ TO soon for my liking, which would kinda get aggrivating on occation.

Want total control?
I just said **** it and bought a truck with a manual trans. No more lockup, or gear aggrivation here
Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #17

you don't have an allison
It has an allison in it, In a 3500 sieres 4WD with the 8.1 liter gas motor your only choices are 5 speed stick or the allison, so maybe you should do a little more research
Old 09-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #18

you didn't say it was a 3500 w/big block.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #19
limeade

He didnt say it wasnt.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #20
child at heart

information is your friend, especially if you desire an answer to a question.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by 01black4.3
He didnt say it wasnt.
being as this is a *S10* forum... If you don't specify otherwise, then people are gonna assume you're talking about an s10 or related product -- which was never available with an Allison transmission.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #22
s-series #2?

ur the one who started talking about tacos and stuff. why not other trucks?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #23

Not that I'm trying to start a pissing match, but you're the one that brought up how the allisons lock up and I said I didn't think they worked that. I didn't expect you to assume, I was talking about one of my dimes. Sorry if I comfused you, I wondered why you told me I didn't have an allison, when you didn't even ask what it was in.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 AM   #24

and I went to the GMC dealer and the 2006 Allison trannys do stay locked 2nd-6th.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #25

but you arn't helping me, so feel free to take the pissing match elsewhere.

kthxbye
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #26

and I went to the GMC dealer and the 2006 Allison trannys do stay locked 2nd-6th.
Did you actually drive itor ask them? The one I drive is a 2005, but one of my buddies just got his 2007, the other week, but he got the diesel w/ the allison, I know his shift indicator works differantly, because he ask me about it. drove it but didn't play with the tranny.

PS If they are keeping the convertor locked up, through all the upper gears, I see premature convertor clutch failure down the line.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #27

but you arn't helping me, so feel free to take the pissing match elsewhere.

kthxbye
I think you need to either learn to drive stick, or as I told you before get the PCM flashed to shift they way you want it to. By the way talked to a volvo mechanic and he said you might be able to put a switch in one to lock up the convertor at will, but if the PCM isn't calling for the convertor to be in the state, that you have it in, it will set a code and eventually, put the tranny in to limp mode. He also said, if you're just grounding the terminal on the PCM to lock up the convertor, have fun buying a new PCM, when it fails. You'd be better off having the PCM operate a relay and do all your switching of the convertor on the other side of the relay, but you'd loose the PCM's abilty to use PWM to smoothly apply the convertor clutch

PS Like I said before maybe you shoujld do some more research and understand why they program the convertor to operate the way it does. If you keep it locked, the motor isn't going to operate in its best power range and then you'll be on here complaining how your truck has no power
Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #28

I drove it. I guess they changed the allison in 2006. I drove an 07 and observed what I wanted... Not sure if it was in the 06 or not.

I know how to drive a stick... and if I could have found a blazer/jimmy v6 with a stick I WOULD have bought it. But that is the problem -- can't find it!

So unless there is an easy, cost-effective way of swapping... I mean like less expensive than me doing a down-payment on a new truck, then I'm not gonna be able to do that.

My problem is that these 4L60E trans suck balls. They shift in the wrong range. They "luxury" shift which just kills em quicker. They downshift way too soon, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.