4l60e Problems and Solutions - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4l60e Problems and Solutions

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
I finally got blown

User is: OffLine
4l60e Problems and Solutions

MODS may want to make this a sticky

I stole this from another forum to help us out, i'm no tranny guy so i cant help anyone but this can.

Common failures on 4L60E, symptom -> cause -> any possible repair:

1. Slow, slipping or no reverse: “lo-reverse” clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the trans may help (must remove valvebody), or adding a high-viscosity additive such as Lucas Transmission additive or other seal restorer product. May also have worn boost valve (can replace in the pan).

2. 1-2 shift does not happen at WOT until you let off the gas: Best case: try replacing the TPS. Middle case: leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit (servo assembly or 1-2 accumulator). Doublecheck by using the pressure gauge and watch for a big drop when the PCM commands 2nd gear. Worst case: poor line pressure rise (see below).

3. 1-2 Shift shudder at WOT; delayed or abnormal 1-2 shift; There's a problem ONLY on the 1-2 shift: 1-2 accumulator piston cracked or stuck cocked in the bore. Check the yellow spring inside the accum housing for breakage. Also, if the accumulator housing walls are scored, the housing must be replaced. Easy fix in the pan.

4. 1-2 shift is delayed and harsh, may not shift into OD: Check TPS for smooth and linear electrical response over the entire range of motion. If not, replace.

5. Trans does not upshift out of first, speedometer reads zero at all times: VSS failure. Easy fix on rear of transmission, but xmember must come out to access VSS.

6. No 3rd or 4th gear: “3-4” clutches are worn out. R&R. The car is safe to drive (in 2) until you can get it fixed.

7. Sudden grinding noise with no prior warning primarily in 2nd gear, behavior in reverse may be abnormal; sunshell is fractured. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

8. 1st and 3rd only, no 2,4 or R; sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

9. No 2nd or 4th gear. 2-4 band is slipping. Servo seals may be damaged (can be fixed without removing trans. Otherwise, 2-4 band is worn out. R&R.

10. Trans shifts into gear harshly, 3rd gear starts, manual 2nd available but no 1st, no 4th, and no TCC lockup: No power to transmission, or trans is in limp-home mode. Check trans fuse underhood, and make sure transmission electrical connector is plugged in. Easy fix.

11. No 1st or 4th available; trans shifts 2nd to 3rd by itself in D or OD : ShiftA solenoid failed. Easy fix in the pan. Or a wiring problem from PCM to trans.. or PCM.

12. No 2nd or 3rd available: ShiftB solenoid failed: Easy fix in the pan. Or a wiring problem from PCM to trans.. or PCM.

13. No TCC lockup: Brake pedal switches improperly adjusted (always on), TCC solenoid failed (easy fix in the pan), TCC clutch worn out (must remove trans and replace TC).

14. TCC always locked: TCC apply solenoid circuit shorted to ground, TCC solenoid blockage (easy fix in pan), or TC broken (must remove trans and replace TC).

15. Horrible noise in 4th and feels like the brakes are on: overrun clutches are applying due to a cracked or leaking forward piston. Overrun clutches will be worn out after 30 seconds of this behavior. Car can be safely driven in D. R&R.

16. Soft shifting, gradual performance degradation: Poor line pressure rise due to leaking boost valve, clogged EPC filter screen, failing EPC solenoid, or worst case: leaky seals throughout. Transgo HD2-C kit fixes first two without removing trans. Seal restorer may fix last problem, but probably R&R. Also try a transmission flush with BG brand products (Firestone stocks it).

17. No forward movement in OD or D, but L2, L1 and R work: Forward sprag is broken. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

18. Extremely harsh shifts from P or N, normal shifts at WOT: EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid failed. Easy fix in pan. Fix as soon as possible or hard parts will eventually break.

19. Loud bang, grinding sound, loss of all gears, and a binding driveshaft: snapped output shaft. Try to wiggle driveshaft - if more than 0.020" play, that's the sign. R&R.

20. Trans seems noisy when moving in 1st and Reverse, noise goes away instantly if you shift to N or the trans goes into 3rd gear: Reaction planetary is worn out due to high miles or insufficient lubrication. Not a critical failure, but not a good sign either. R&R sooner rather than later.

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

22. Transmission does not shift automatically, only manually. Swap in a known-good PCM, check wiring, check other sensors such as VSS and TPS.

23. 3rd gear starts, can manually shift through all gears. When car has been turned off for a bit, then back on it will run normally.: VSS dropoff w/ Hi-stall converter. The rpms are too high, but VSS is showing no movement. Happens after a tire burning take-off. Doesn't store a code, will not throw a CEL (I've heard that it will store a code if it happens 3 or more times). Cure: Reprogram PCM for VSS dropoff -- PCMforLess knows about it.

24. Car feels sluggish off the line, No 1st, 4th or TCC lockup available, Manual 2nd, 3rd and Reverse are only available gears, CEL is on: Transmision is either in limp-home mode or has lost electrical power. If there are lots of error codes in the PCM, check the underhood fuse that powers the transmission, and if it pops again, look for a short in that circuit like an O2 sensor harness touching exhaust. Otherwise, check PCM codes for a particular fault in the transmission causing the PCM to put it in limp-home mode.

25. Fluid leak out of the front of trans where the converter connects; partial or full loss of movement: Front pump bushing walked out. R&R. May have to replace converter also if hub is scored. Note that a leaking front seal usually means the bushing is walking out (i.e. call your local trans shop and schedule an appt.).

26. Torque converter shudder in 4th while lockup is engaged; problem goes away when the brake pedal is pressed slightly to unlock converter. Have a shop verify line pressure, and provided no valves in the TCC hydraulic circuit are worn, replace the torque converter. Also, Lubegard Shudder Fix will at least fix this for awhile. Or try a transmission flush by a shop that uses BG brand products.

27. Shift suddenly become very hard. When going from park to either reverse or drive it slams into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are also harsh. All gears seems to work. Problem may be intermittent: Check TPS for smooth electrical response. If the response is jumpy or erratic at all, replace TPS.

28. All fluid pumped out through the vent tube: Plugged cooler line. Flush the transmission cooler and cooler lines. Also could be overfiled transmission.

29. Car acts like it's in OD in neutral, car is locked stationary in R, engine feels loaded in P, all four forward positions work fine:Internal crossleak feeding the forward clutches all the time. Most likely a cracked input housing. R&R required. Car can safely be driven gently in forward gears until the repair.

30. Needle bearings in the pan, first gear and/or reverse may be noisy: Either a torrington bearing or a planetary bearing is on its way out. Trans will eventually die a loud, catastrophic death. Cheaper to rebuild now (saves further damage to hard parts), but requires R&R. It is drivable until it breaks.

31. 1-2 or 2-3 shift is slow/soft above part throttle: Trans is on its way out. R&R.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #2

re: 4l60e Problems and Solutions

what about a 2-3 clunk/ bang under light load, but other gears shift fine.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by 3.4blazerdude
what about a 2-3 clunk/ bang under light load, but other gears shift fine.
Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk noise that can be heard on a 2-3 upshift or a 3-2 downshift.
During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. This same torque reversal can also occur on a 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band applied. This condition may be worse on a 4-wheel drive vehicle due to the additional tolerances in the transfer case.
This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.

this is a bulletin from GM that i found. it is considered a normal condition. i'd still do the preliminary checks to make sure all driveline components are in good condition
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
needs a bigger truck

damn, i could have used this a few years ago... had my tranny serviced, then a week later it puked outta the vent tube. damn bastards must have overfilled it. ended up buying a new one.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
goin broke but n style

My tranny has clunked since 13,000 miles. at over 130,000 it is still fine.

While under warranty I took it to 2 diff dealers adn they both said it was normal.

HIGH RPM'S IS WHAT KILLS THE 4L60E. IT WAS ONLY DESIGNED TO TAKE 6200 RPMS NOT 7,000. NOT TO MENTION HEAT.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #6

I have a ?. 2nd to 3rd in my turck, it seems to rev up a little then shift, no clunking or banging. just revs up a little bit. and its only 2nd to 3rd. I just had the fluid changed to see if that would help and still does it. And it only does it certain times like half throttle. Wot its shifts fine doesnt rev up. Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
goin broke but n style

how many miles and what year? Is it factory or has it been reprogrammed?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #8

1996 4.3, 92,XXX miles, don't think it was programmed, some old guy owned it before me and i didn't do it so. Only things i did were oil change intake and exhaust and tb mod, but i don't think they would have anything to do with it.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by 99xtrm

24. Car feels sluggish off the line, No 1st, 4th or TCC lockup available, Manual 2nd, 3rd and Reverse are only available gears, CEL is on: Transmision is either in limp-home mode or has lost electrical power. If there are lots of error codes in the PCM, check the underhood fuse that powers the transmission, and if it pops again, look for a short in that circuit like an O2 sensor harness touching exhaust. Otherwise, check PCM codes for a particular fault in the transmission causing the PCM to put it in limp-home mode.
I have this problem when I put in TCI race fluid. Only happens when tranny is cold. When I drive for about 10 min. or so (manualy shifting 2nd and 3rd gear of course) and then turn off the engine and wait about 10 sec. (almost like I am resting something?) it works fine like nothing happened. Works fine until I stop driving and the tranny cools back down to being cold. Any thoughts?

Last edited by WHASZUP1; 06-28-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #10

Anyone know why my trans drives fine untill 3k RPM and then slips under any throttle position
Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
Director O' Forum

great info, found my problem on 1st and 4th!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Just to add a little info. I have a 98 Blazer 2wd and the tranny would work fine for hours of driving and then all of a sudden shift hard through all gears and continue doing so until it sits overnight and then it might not do it again for a week. I took it to my tranny guy and he hooked it up on their scanner which can scan codes my OBDII reader can't. It threw out a code and he said that it's a common problem in these tranny's and a transgo shift kit would fix it. It's not one that jerks when it shifts or anything, but it will fix my problem he said. The kit ran me $30 shipped off of ebay.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
Amature Customizer

27. Shift suddenly become very hard. When going from park to either reverse or drive it slams into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are also harsh. All gears seems to work. Problem may be intermittent: Check TPS for smooth electrical response. If the response is jumpy or erratic at all, replace TPS.

what is tps? my truck does this exact thing and it was caused by large amounts ofwater getting in or around the tranny. wounld the only way to fix that to be replace the tps?

by the way i have a 99 sonoma with a 4.3 auto with about 86000 on it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by kette89
what is tps?
Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #15

I currently have this problem in my 1999 Bravada does anybody else have anything to add or suggestions?

also, does VSS mean Vehicle Speed Sensor and where is this located on the truck?

22. Transmission does not shift automatically, only manually. Swap in a known-good PCM, check wiring, check other sensors such as VSS and TPS.

another question I have, if this is my problem does that mean that physically the transmission is ok?

Last edited by Dranko; 07-13-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #16

how about transmission does not shift into 1st everything else is fine?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #17

Ok I didnt see one like mine wo any help.

1996 with 88k miles. under WOT it will sometimes shift 1-2 or 2-3 and I can tell it shifted and the engine revs up a lot but no power is going threw (kinda like its in neutral). As soon as I let off and ease back on it is fine. Also it has become very hard shifting from P or N into D but also just sometimes.

I just had it entirely rebuilt 15k miles ago so I'm really hoping its something small and stupid.

Any help please???
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #18

What about no second or reverse? I changed my fluid a few weeks ago as well as this morning, double checking the filter engagement and still no second or reverse. Truck has 140,000mi and I need it to go more. Any ideas on what could cause this and any soulutions?
Please reply.
thanks,
Al
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #19

I have symptoms of #17. It won't start out in D or OD unless it revs real high and kicks in. Almost 4K. I can shift it to first and second and it starts off fine then I shift into D and OD with no problems.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #20

How about truck runs fine in 1st and Reverse, when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it locks up the drive train like you just nailed the E brake. In 2nd feels like you driving with your foot on the brakes, and jerks like it's trying to lock up again.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #21
limeade

How about-

When truck is put in reverse or drive it shift hard and even if brakes are completely depressed you can still fell the truck lurch? Also the truck doesn't down shift to first unless you stop completely for at least 1 or 2 seconds?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #22

i have a 1996 4wd blazer with 89k and as long as its cool, it will shift fine. but as soon as it warms up, i get a hard 1-2 shift and then its 3rd from then on. also the service engine soon light is on. i had the fluid and filter changed and also replaced the VSS. HEEEEEEELP!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #23
banana

i have problem number 17. it sucks, i'm trying to save the money to rebuild it.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
Severed Ties Petitioning

Quote: Originally Posted by vivalahammer
i have problem number 17. it sucks, i'm trying to save the money to rebuild it.
same here. but whats weird about mine is I dont have 1st or second either. I have no forward gears at all.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #25

Ok how about this one,

1st -3rd fine. works like a champ.
Rev fine. also works great.
3rd - 4th (OD) intermittent. There really is no set condition. Some days its fine whether at operating temperatures or not. Some days it starts out fine, then shift into 3rd and stays at 3rd not matter what speed. Some days it just won't go into OD at all whether or not at operating temp.

NOTE: I just picked up the truck in Jan. used so the weather has been cold. Haven't tried driving it in the warm seasons yet. Also took it to a shop to get the SES light checked and the scanner said that there was a manifold pressure switch.

So, what do you think??

John
Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #26
KeepDreaminXtreme

anyone have this problem? when its really cold outside (any temp below freezing) trans wont engage overdive until driven for a mile or two or until trans gets up to temp. any other outside temp it works and shifts great.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #27
I call her: NIGHTMARE

This is what happens when you have all of those happen at once:

Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
Yeah thats the one!

I had a problem with my tranny getting stuck in third gear but able to be manually shifted through the gears. the only thing is that it would stay in third at higher speeds and never go into anything above third, really hurt the gas mileage. found that replacing the 3/2 downshift solenoid in the tranny pan fixed the problem and haven't had any problems since, that was 10,000 miles ago.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #29

I have a 98 blazer and after I get it warmed up and drive for 30 minutes it will shift hard from 1st to 2nd then shift fine after this. I read though all of those and cant come up with a definate answer. Can someone give me insight. i have it was the valve body, does anyone know how I can fix this.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by purevil115
I have a 98 blazer and after I get it warmed up and drive for 30 minutes it will shift hard from 1st to 2nd then shift fine after this. I read though all of those and cant come up with a definate answer. Can someone give me insight. i have it was the valve body, does anyone know how I can fix this.
I have a Jet module stage2 and it shifts the trans earlier. I also ran an external cooler that helps keep it cool and shifting right. Before I installed the Jet module, I put in a "corvette" servo with the external cooler and bless it be, It was cured. Give it a try and you will notice.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #31

My problem is similar to having no movement in any gear, but it only happens after driving a few miles, then it just stops moving just revs. I have never tried to go through the gears to see if it went anywhere. The first time that it happened I drove about 30 miles then it just stopped. From then on I've only been able to go about 2-3 miles until it cools off then I can go another 2-3 miles.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #32

OK how bout this one..

My transmission will automatically shift into N and R, but OD, D, 2, 3 take about 2-3 secs to shift into gear..

Get the tranny rebuilt?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by spikedzombies
OK how bout this one..

My transmission will automatically shift into N and R, but OD, D, 2, 3 take about 2-3 secs to shift into gear..

Get the tranny rebuilt?
i would say have it flushed or change the fluids youeself and get the pressure checked by a tranny shop. May need something fixed or could just be clogged.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #34
4x4 4DOOR OWNER

Don't know if chrisinvt is still active but he has hosted this on his IMPORTKILLER SITE... check the site out while your waiting but

http://www.theimportkiller.com/4l60e.pdf
that's a rebuild manual
Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #35

I agree, this needs to be a sticky.

Im having problem 17 (requires trans R&R), but I can get get D and OD if I shift into them once I'm going fast enough. So maybe its problem 22 (PCM), although there are no codes...

Id sure hate to spend $1500+ on a reman trans and find out its the PCM...
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #36

Ok how about this, I have a '94 Bravada, just rebuilt the tranny. Before putting it in checked everything including the gear selector and everything worked fine. Got the tranny into the truck got everything hooked up started it up and went to shift into gear but nothing. the gear selector moves but does not go into gear. Any ideas and solutions.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #37
Will work for turbo parts

Torque converter probably isn't seated all the way. Do you have ANY trans pressure?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #38

yes i have trans pressure and the torque is seated all the way. on the gear selector on the tranny its like free play there is no stopping points or anything. it spins freely.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #39

so far i think i got it fixed. just took off the pan and the linkage bolt inside was loose. now am waiting for seal to cure before filing with fluid. Will let know how it goes after that.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #40

ok i got it to shift into all gears but i get no movement in any gear. it will not even move in neutral its like its locked. HELP PLEASE.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #41

Re: 4l60e Problems and Solutions

here is one. I now have movement in drive and reverse but it will not shift its like its stuck in 1st any ideas. I have not been able to get it going fast enough to see if it will shift into third.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #42
I'm slap happy, bitches!

if its electronic, just unplug the connector on the case and see.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #43

ok so what would i look for when i unplug the connector
Old 09-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #44

I would say take it to a shop and have them check it over before it really messes up. I worked at a shop for a year and we would see small problems all the time that became thousands of dollars of repairs because the owner waited and tried to fix it themselves.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by mw39er0
here is one. I now have movement in drive and reverse but it will not shift its like its stuck in 1st any ideas. I have not been able to get it going fast enough to see if it will shift into third.
I had the same issue with a junkyard tranny I put in. I switched all the electronics PCM, VSS, and nuetral safety switch, from my old slipping tranny(bands are worn out) and still would not shift. It can't be electronic because there is nothing else electronic in it. I found when removing some of the solenoids that a a small "pump?" located in the rear of the tranny was broken, the spring that maintains pressure was sheared in half. Cahnged that and still the same problem no shifting from first gear. I am now waiting on another tranny from the junk yard. The only good news from all of this is I can swap out trannies in under 5 hours w/o a lift, tranny jack or power tools. So when i get the new one it will only take one day.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #46
I'm slap happy, bitches!

you had a broken accumlator spring?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #47

Quote: Originally Posted by Deeze49686
you had a broken accumlator spring?
yes. Aparrently the tranny was a certified rebuild (according to the tag on the tranny). when I took the bad accumlator apart I found the broken spring and a valve spring in there. I took that tranny back to the junk yard today, just the way I got it, bad accumultor and all, and they plan on fixing it and getting it back to me. I can't wait till they find the broken spring and accuse me of messing with it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #48
Its that dam ADD!

ok, heres one. My truck was flooded in Katrina, what number is that?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 AM   #49
whore turned lurker

was it driven shortly afterwards? cause if not i would just drain all the fluids out and replace with new oil. if you did drive it with water i have no clue what it would mess up,lol
Old 10-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #50

What about if you put it in drive and it won't start in 1st but then sometimes it will then second and third shakes and then clears up ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.