2002 chevy s10 4x4 quad cab 4.3 v6 transmission fluid questions. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2002 chevy s10 4x4 quad cab 4.3 v6 transmission fluid questions.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

2002 chevy s10 4x4 quad cab 4.3 v6 transmission fluid questions.

Past experiences have made me leary from changing transmission fluids.
Did one a few years ago and transmission was fine until I changed the fluid with the factory recommended oil and then it started to slip.
My question is what is the best dex3 transmission fluid on the market?
Money is no object to me when it comes to the transmission.
I have limited time to change the oil so id prefer to pick the fluid up at a local supply house rather than order something online. Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 2002 chevy s10 4x4 quad cab 4.3 v6 transmission fluid questions.

Use Type-F fluid, it firms up the shifting and reduces slippage. I use it in all my GM transmissions. Your transmission will last longer.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by AWD V8
Use Type-F fluid, it firms up the shifting and reduces slippage. I use it in all my GM transmissions. Your transmission will last longer.
Wow never heard that one before has anyone else done this and got long life from there transmission with no issues? Ty for the feedback.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

Also what about redline or amsoil any comments on it?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Now own a 99 Blazer 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by 44mag
My question is what is the best dex3 transmission fluid on the market?Money is no object to me when it comes to the transmission. Any suggestions?
Use Dex3 or Dex4. You don't need to spend money on special fluids and things. It isn't going to do anything different then the $1.99 bottle of ATF. The main failure of the 4L60E is a mechanical failure (reaction sunshell or valvebody related). Fluids don't cause mechanical failures.

P.S.- I have heard of other people putting in "Type F" fluids in their GM transmissions, but I would never do it because it is not recommended by GM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #6

I have done this for over 9 years on my own, and friends vehicles, with no problems. I know several other well respected techs who will do the same thing.

( years ago when I bought my 89 Jimmy the transmission started to flare badly going into 2nd gear. I took it to a transmission shop and they told me the transmission was on it's way out. I changed out the fluid to Type-F and the flaring stopped. 8 years later it was still going when I switched over to my 95 Jimmy. I also had a friend with a Honda Accord that flared so bad going into 2nd gear he was afraid to leave home. I switched it to Type-F and it shifted fine. He drove it several months more before he sold it.

Many GM guys switch their own cars to Type-F to get firm shifts and reduce potential slippage as a performance and preventative measure. Dexron is slipperier than Type-F and clutches that are old and overpowered can begin to slip and cause the clutches to let go. Reducing slippage prolongs the clutches.

Many tranny shops used Type-F in performance cars many years ago before synthetics were popular. B&M recommends using their Slick Shift or Type-F in the instructions for their shift kits.

Check out the GM forums and see for yourself.

Of course if the transmission is on it's way out you can just get it overhauled instead, or prolong it's life with Type-F, it's up to you.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

Many GM guys switch their own cars to Type-F to get firm shifts and reduce potential slippage as a performance and preventative measure. Dexron is slipperier than Type-F and clutches that are old and overpowered can begin to slip and cause the clutches to let go. Reducing slippage prolongs the clutches.
Many tranny shops used Type-F in performance cars many years ago before synthetics were popular. B&M recommends using their Slick Shift or Type-F in the instructions for their shift kits.
Check out the GM forums and see for yourself.
Of course if the transmission is on it's way out you can just get it overhauled instead, or prolong it's life with Type-F, it's up to you.
Is is OK to do that with just a pan/filter change and not draining the whole system? In other words, is it OK to have, say, 5 qts of F and the other 7-8 Dexron?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Forever breaking this S10

Yes, they are fine to mix. It's advised to have the whole system flushed just to have all fresh fluid since the old fluid is going to prematurely gunk up the new filter, but it's technically alright to do it.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
goin broke but n style

DEX6 is also compatible with DEX3. it even says it on the last bottle I looked at.

I think I am gonna try the type F when I get my 94 back on the rd. it has 180k on it so if it fails shortly after, I have gotten its full life out of it.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
"factory freak"...

If you install a drain plug kit in your existing pan, or install a pan
that has a drain plug, you can just drain and refill the pan regularly
to increase the amount of Type F in the transmission.

I usually drain and refill the tranny pan every other engine oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.