1993 Sonoma 700R4 need help! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1993 Sonoma 700R4 need help!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

1993 Sonoma 700R4 need help!

truck is a 1993 sonoma
5.7L TPI
700R4

Symptoms:
If i plug in the VSS and take off in O/D it shifts through the gears within like 100 ft and literally bogs the truck.

Unlplug the VSS and it will run through the gears very well except for 1 problem. At WOT it will not go into overdrive so the truck pretty well is maxed out at 150km/h.

If i let off the throttle it will go into overdrive but as soon as i try too accelerate it kicks down and is maxed out again.

What could cause these issue?

Thanks
Josh
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
S10's-R-Us

User is: OffLine
Re: 1993 Sonoma 700R4 need help!

Pressure switch maybe?
Do you have one of those lockup wiring kits installed ?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
goin broke but n style

check the setting of the kickdown cable.

And most OD trans wont go into OVERDRIVE at WOT anyway. if you want it to than put it on a switch that you can switch
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Pill it till ya kill it

Do you have a 700R4 or a 4L60E??? 93 was originally equipped with a 4L60E. Easiest way to tell is look for a TV, or kickdown cable. If it has one then it is a 700R4. Let me know what trans it is and then I can help you further.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by NitrousPowrdSS
Do you have a 700R4 or a 4L60E??? 93 was originally equipped with a 4L60E. Easiest way to tell is look for a TV, or kickdown cable. If it has one then it is a 700R4. Let me know what trans it is and then I can help you further.
There is Definatly a TV cable! any help would be appreciated
Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Pill it till ya kill it

So thats not the original trans to the truck... Have you adjusted the TV cable at all??? How about the governor? Sometimes they will stick and cause a fast shift. Seems odd that it changes with the VSS because on the 700s that does nothing except for send a speed signal.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

I have not played with the TV cable or messed with the govenors. I'm guess the 5.7L and the trans are older models . I'm not experienced with auto trans too start messing without knowledge first
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Also scanned the ECM for codes and it came up code 22 and 24 it said the tps was either bad or out of range so we adjusted it too spec. The other code is the VSS
Old 08-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Pill it till ya kill it

Ok. Start with this. There should be a button on the bottom side of the TV cable at the throttle linkage. Push that button in and pull the cable sleeve all the way back. Then go WOT with the throttle body and you will here it ratchet forward. Plug your VSS in and then drive it. If it does the same thing then there is probably a problem in the valve body. Sometimes you can get around it by adjusting the cable a little tighter. As far as your not shifting into OD under WOT, 700R4s will not do that at all. Anything past 3/4 throttle and it will downshift into third. B&M sells a kickdown valve that has more travel but still downshifts at WOT. Only way to not have that is to have a full manual valve body but shifting into OD at full throttle is a bad idea anyway.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #10

Just found a leak in the tranny cooler lines so i will fix them and change the filter and fluid and then come back too the thread too trouble shoot the problems
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #11

Did as suggested with the TV cable, Still no change when the VSS is plugged in. Only thing i noticed is while the VSS is plugged in the Truck kicks down into passing gear like a MOFO...unfortunatly shifts back into a shitty gear almost right away.

Where too next gentleman
Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Pill it till ya kill it

Valve body issue. Only thing computer controlled on a 700 is the lockup. Odd that it changes with the VSS. I would pull the governor cover and check that the counterweights move freely but I am betting on a valve body issue.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #13

if i manaully shift the truck it pops the engine light and comes up code 24 for VSS.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Pill it till ya kill it

With the VSS plugged in?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by NitrousPowrdSS
With the VSS plugged in?
No with it disconnected.....

With the VSS disconnected the truck drives what i would call close too normal. If i put the truck in O/D (4th) and tour around it drives fine with NO trouble codes....the moment i drop it into 3rd or 2nd it throws the code. Or if i hammer on the throttle and wind it out even in 4th once i let off the gas it throws a code.

As for driving with the VSS connected, i've only gone down the road a few kilometers because i didn't know if it was going too hurt the transmission. Only thing l liked better about driving with the VSS plugged in is at 50km/h you kick it down it launches that truck like no other but like mentioned it shifts almost right away
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Pill it till ya kill it

Strange. When was the V8 swap done and by whom???
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #17

unfortunalty i cant answer either question. Ive been told that the truck sat for 3-4 years after the swap was done.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #18

i've read on other forums about a 2k and 4k VSS buffer whatever that is?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
S10's-R-Us

Found this on another site. Maybe it can help you or others on here.

Problem: Slow, slipping or no reverse
Symptoms: “lo-reverse” clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. May also have worn boost valve.
Possible repair: It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the Transmission may help (must remove valvebody), or adding a high-viscosity additive such as Lucas Transmission additive or other seal restorer product.

Problem: 1-2 shift does not happen at WOT until you let off the gas
Symptoms: Middle case leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit (servo assembly or 1-2 accumulator). Double check by using the pressure gauge and watch for a big drop when the PCM commands 2nd gear. Worst case poor line pressure rise (see below).
Possible repair: Try replacing the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS).

Problem: 1-2 Shift shudder at WOT delayed or abnormal 1-2 shift There's a problem only on the 1-2 shift
Symptoms: 1-2 accumulator piston cracked or stuck cocked in the bore.
Possible repair: Check the yellow spring inside the accum housing for breakage. Also, if the accumulator housing walls are scored, the housing must be replaced. Easy fix in the pan.

Problem: 1-2 shift is delayed and harsh, may not shift into Over Drive
Symptoms: Check Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).for smooth and linear electrical response over the entire range of motion.
Possible repair: If not, replace.

Problem: Transmission does not upshift out of first, speedometer reads zero at all times Speed Sensor (VSS) failure.
Symptoms: Cross member must come out to access Speed Sensor (VSS).
Possible repair: Easy fix on rear of Transmission.

Problem: Will not work in 3rd or 4th gear
Symptoms: “3-4” clutches are worn out. The car is safe to drive (in 2nd) until you can get it fixed.
Possible repair: Remove & replace or rebuild

Problem: Sudden grinding noise with no prior warning primarily in 2nd gear, behavior in reverse may be abnormal
Symptoms: Sunshell is fractured. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

Problem: 1st and 3rd only, will not work in 2nd ,4th or Reverse
Symptoms: Sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.
Possible repair: R&R

Problem: Will not work in 2nd or 4th gear
Symptoms: 2-4 band is slipping. Servo seals may be damaged (can be fixed without removing Transmission. Otherwise, 2-4 band is worn out.

Problem: Shifts into gear harshly, car feels sluggish off the line, No 1st, 4th or Torque Converter Control (TCC) lockup available, Manual 2nd, 3rd and Reverse are only available gears, CEL is on
Symptoms: Transmission is either in limp-home mode or has lost electrical power. If there are lots of error codes in the PCM, check the under hood fuse that powers the Transmission, and if it pops again, look for a short in that circuit like an O2 sensor harness touching exhaust. Otherwise, check PCM codes for a particular fault in the Transmission causing the PCM to put it in limp-home mode.
Possible repair: Check the under hood fuse that powers the Transmission

Problem: Will not work in 1st or 4th available Transmission shifts 2nd to 3rd by itself in Drive or Over Drive and locks the converter
Symptoms: ShiftA solenoid failed. Or a wiring problem from PCM to Transmission... or PCM.
Possible repair: Easy fix in the pan.

Problem: Transmission goes into gear but feels very sluggish like the brakes are on, but it will roll easily (starts out in 4th gear), you manually shift to 2 to get it moving, once it's moving you put it back in OD and the car shifts 3rd to 4th on its own and locks the converter at the appropriate time
Symptoms: Shift B solenoid failed. Or a wiring problem from PCM to Transmission... or PCM.
Possible repair: Easy fix in the pan

Problem: No Torque Converter Control (TCC) lockup
Symptoms: Brake pedal switches improperly adjusted (always on), Torque Converter Control (TCC) solenoid failed (easy fix in the pan), Torque Converter Control (TCC) clutch worn out
Possible repair: Must remove Transmission and replace TC

Problem: Torque Converter Control (TCC) always locked
Symptoms: Torque Converter Control (TCC) apply solenoid circuit shorted to ground, Torque Converter Control (TCC) solenoid blockage.
Possible repair: Easy fix by removing the pan. or Torque Converter is damaged (must remove Transmission and replace TC).

Problem: Loud noise in 4th gear and feels like the brakes are on
Symptoms: Overrun clutches are applying due to a cracked or leaking forward piston. Overrun clutches will be worn out after 30 seconds of this behavior. Car can be safely driven in D.

Problem: Soft shifting, gradual performance degradation
Symptoms: Poor line pressure rise due to leaking boost valve, clogged Electronic Pressure Control EPC filter screen, failing Electronic Pressure Control (EPC solenoid), or worst case leaky seals throughout. Transgo HD2-C kit fixes first two without removing Transmission. Seal restorer may fix last problem.
Possible repair: Also try a Transmissionmission flush with BG brand products if problem continues, probably R&R

Problem: No forward movement in OD or D, but L2, L1 and R work
Symptoms: Forward sprag is broken. Or assembled backwards if following a rebuild.
Possible repair: Remove & replace or rebuild Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

Problem: Extremely harsh shifts from P or N, normal shifts at WOT
Symptoms: Electronic Pressure Control (EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid failed.
Possible repair: Easy fix in pan. Fix as soon as possible or hard parts will eventually break.

Problem: Loud bang, grinding sound, loss of all gears, and a binding driveshaft
Symptoms: Snapped output shaft. Try to wiggle driveshaft - if more than 0.020" play, that's the sign.

Problem: Transmission seems noisy when moving in 1st and Reverse, noise goes away instantly if you shift to N or the Transmission goes into 3rd gear
Symptoms: Reaction planetary is worn out due to high miles or insufficient lubrication. Not a critical failure, but not a good sign either.
Possible repair: Remove & replace or rebuild sooner rather than later.

Problem: No movement in any gear
Symptoms: Pump failure, or total loss of fluid. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the Transmission is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.
Possible repair: Remove & replace or rebuild, or refill pan and find the leak.

Problem: Transmission does not shift automatically, only manually.
Symptoms: Check wiring, check other sensors such as Speed Sensor (VSS) andThrottlePosition Sensor (TPS).
Possible repair: Swap in a known-good PCM

Problem: 3rd gear starts, can manually shift through all gears. When car has been turned off for a bit, then back on it will run normally.
Symptoms: Speed Sensor (VSS) drop-off w/ Hi-stall converter. The RPMs are too high, but Speed Sensor (VSS) is showing no movement. Happens after a tire burning take-off. Doesn't store a code, will not throw a CEL.
Possible repair: Reprogram PCM for Speed Sensor (VSS) drop-off

Problem: Fluid leak out of the front of Transmission where the converter connects partial or full loss of movement
Symptoms: Front pump bushing walked out.May have to replace converter also if hub is scored. Note that a leaking front seal usually means the bushing is walking out.

Problem: Torque converter shudder in 4th while lockup is engaged
Symptoms: Problem goes away when the brake pedal is pressed slightly to unlock converter. Check fluid level. Have a shop verify line pressure, and provided no valves in the Torque Converter Control (TCC) hydraulic circuit are worn, replace the torque converter.
Possible repair: Lubegard Shudder Fix will at least fix this for awhile. Or try a Transmission flush by a shop that uses BG brand products.

Problem: Shifting suddenly become very hard. When going from park to either reverse or drive it slams into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are also harsh. All gears seems to work. May be intermittent
Symptoms: Check Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).for smooth electrical response. If the response is jumpy or erratic at all.
Possible repair: Replace Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

Problem: Fluid pumped out through the vent tube
Symptoms: Plugged cooler line.
Possible repair: Flush the Transmission cooler and cooler lines. Also could be overfilled Transmission.

Problem: Transmission acts like it's in Over Drive in neutral, car is locked stationary in Reverse, engine feels loaded in ark,, all four forward positions work fine
Symptoms: Internal cross-leak feeding the forward clutches all the time. Most likely a cracked input housing, or cracked forward piston means forward clutches are fused together. Car can safely be driven gently in forward gears until the repair.

Problem: Needle bearings in the pan, first gear and/or reverse may be noisy
Symptoms: Either a torrington bearing or a planetary bearing is on its way out. Transmission will eventually die a loud, catastrophic death. Cheaper to rebuild now (saves further damage to hard parts). It is drivable until it breaks.

Problem: 1-2 or 2-3 shift is slow/soft above part throttle
Symptoms: Transmission is failing.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by Josh_LeClair
Did as suggested with the TV cable, Still no change when the VSS is plugged in. Only thing i noticed is while the VSS is plugged in the Truck kicks down into passing gear like a MOFO...unfortunatly shifts back into a shitty gear almost right away.

Where too next gentleman
You got some bad info. Push the button on the cable and push it in as far as it will go. GM says operate the throttle body by hand. Won't work if you have too much carpet or whatever. Get inside and mash the gas pedal.
Now it's adjusted correctly.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #21

If you have a 7000R4 the vss should not change shifting as stated above. Sounds like the TCC is locking up on top of 2nd gear (causing the bog)and by unplugging the VSS it's cancling TCC. Sounds like the TCC is not wired into the pcm right or u have a TPS issue ,once a 700 hits second gear it can lock up. If the TPS is not working right the truck dont know throttle % and will just lock up the converter. The solenoid has 12V key on and the computer just sends ground to energize the solenoid.once you have established Full TV by adjusting the cable stop adjusting it leave it alone. Now i need some info on what the trans is out of and what the gear ratio is in the truck. Also can you take a pic of the TV cable bracket and linkage setup at the TPI unit. Sounds like there is more then one issue here if you need further help pm me or give me a call 715-410-7156 thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #22

can i Text that number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.