Winter driving question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Winter driving question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Winter driving question

So I bagged my truck this past summer and some financial issues came about and I only have my truck to drive in winter my only problem is its a little bit low for some snow days at work. Now my front will lift to a good height but the back will only clear 5" at the frame. We ended up getting alot more snow then expected this year, so is there anything I can really do to get the back end up just a bit higher other than making it a 6link and doing bob. It's a 4 link with boa currently running stock winters for winter. Is it a bad idea to fab up some sort of "spacer" and put it between the bag and the bracket mounted to the frame for an extra 2" ? Or should I try making it bob 4link? And mount the bags on the side of the frame. Only problem I see with that is it twists the link bar. Or should I just brace my self to get stuck sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
i don't like people

User is: OffLine
Re: Winter driving question

if your 4 link will take it make a spacer, but on the other hand setting up a bag on bar without to much twist would make you happier year round. one other thing to add is there are super lift bags that extend even more what bags are you running now?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Afterhours Admin

Its not possible for s10s to run bags on the side of the frame off the bars, those setups are for Rangers and fullsize trucks that have narrow frames. To do it on an s10 would require the bag to be offset so far that it would twist the bar like a pretzel. Of course with a 2link the bar is mounted rigid and wont twist but you wont get any articulation either...

If you're only getting 5" of lift then there is something wrong with your setup.

1) Your bags aren't collapsed all the way. You should see at least 7" of lift from a typical 2600 bag. If thats the problem, add the spacer. You can even make the spacer larger than needed, the truck wont lay out but it will give you the extra clearance for the snow.
2) Your shocks are maxed out. Youll need to cut the mounts off and redo them, or get longer shocks.
3) Your tires are too small. If your summer setup is for 20s but your winter tires are the size of 18s, you will lose lift. Adding spacers usually wont help bc the spacer will max out the shocks. Only real fix would be to run bigger tires.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Registered Asshole

^^^agreed. something must be hanging up, like the shocks.
or your bags are so tiny
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Proud Canadian

I was in the same situation as you, 2500's with boa. I went with getting a pos winter daily, but my other option was the spacer idea. If it is your shocks that are limiting you, just remove them for the day or two until the heavy snowfall has been cleared from the roads or whatever. I'd definitely go with spacers though, its just easier imo
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

It's dom 2600 I set up to make sure the bags are fully collapsed when dropped. I will get 7 ish inches of clearance but its not a very comfortable ride quite stiff. Socks are not holding back that's for sure. I might try a 2 inch spacer of some sort would you think some square tubing would work?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Also if I want to some day make it a 6 link what would my best way to go ? Run some link bars from the axle to a cross member inbehind it what should I do about measurements is there some sort of special formula for figuring out bar length ? Right nowe have custom connections newest 4 link
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Registered Asshole

No special formula. Thats basically what I did with my 3 link
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Right on well I might have to fab up a crossmember bag brackets and a couple of link bars. Should be a bit better of a ride with the bob setup
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
Registered Asshole

Its like night and day man. Best thing ive done was to switch it
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #11

With yours did you just mount solid bars to the axle with joints and then to a crossmember or to the frame ? Any pics of your setup?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #12

Will I need to put dog bones on it ? I was looking at other kits and they only offer dog bones for rims 18-20" but I'll be running 17"s and currently run 15"s in winter with 25" tall tire. Is the dog bone necessary ? Or just mount the bar directly to the axle ?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Registered Asshole

My thread is linked below my picture. Dog bones/shackles are 100% needed for this kind of application. Without them, the setup would bind. This setup would work on any size tire, you would just get longer or shorter shackles
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #14

Just went through some of your project thread great work man I'm in love with those welds!
Now I don't need anything that amazing. But just a basic 6 link setup. From what I can tell I can make a crossmember at the rear of the frame reinforce it mount brackets for the link bars and mount them right to that crossmember. What about figuring out the length the link bars should be ? I think I will just use either square or round tubing for mine. And also for the shackles where do I decide to mount them to the axle and then how long they should be ?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Registered Asshole

Thanks man. Length of the bars really depends on where you mount the crossmember on the rear. My process... Install brackets on rear, install brackets on axle. Measure the distance between them and thatll be your bar length. I dropped the truck on the ground, connected the bars on the rear, set them parallel to the frame. Than measured the distance between the bars and axle brackets. Thatll be your shackle length. Mine was 6". My bags fully compressed are 2.9", so u made 3" spacers, bolted them to the bag mount on the bars, and built my bridge from there.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Ok right on that's a fairly simple procedure then. I will probably make the lift bars go right to the rear of the frame. Only other thing is bag location. Should be be in the middle of the lift bar or closer to the axle or closer to the rear of the truck ?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
Registered Asshole

I did closer to the axle. Maybe 1/3 of the way. Halfway is a 2:1 ratio. I see it as completely pointless. Some may think different. You dont need that much lift. And the ride comfort I dont think is even noticeable.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #18

Winter+bagged truck= no problem!

Speaking of six link I built one for my silverado
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Registered Asshole

^^^agreed. Drove mine for 4 winters in PA. 400lbs of sand in the rear and still sits even.
Now those tires you have...ehhhh. How's that working out for ya?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #20

265 35 22 haha not the best for winter and it was a five speed truck too . But It got me around and that also was in P. A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.