*Warning* to those with an EDC and plastic/polycarbonate water trap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

*Warning* to those with an EDC and plastic/polycarbonate water trap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Extended cab or no cab.

User is: OffLine
*Warning* to those with an EDC and plastic/polycarbonate water trap

I have read before about the oils that are passed through EDC's not being very compatable with the polycarbonate bowls of some water traps. It breaks them down over time.

Yesterday I exprierienced this for myself. My truck was parked at work all day in the sun (90* outside) and I had about 180psi in the tank. I came out after work and noticed I had 0 psi in the tank. When I got out I saw pieces of the water trap everywhere. It exploded! I don't know why it didn't just crack and leak but looking at the pictures, you can see the mes it made. The tabs that held the metal shield on were all bent too. This was on my truck for about 1.5 years. I bought a replacement to get the truck home but will be finding a metal one soon.

Check it out.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Re: *Warning* to those with an EDC and plastic/polycarbonate water trap

the same thing for oil catch cans, guys are going out buying compressor air/water separators and they are not designed for this type of use! I wish you well on the fix and all. Love the blazer man.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
needs a cheeseburger

a friend of mine had one of them do the same thing
Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
We Bend Stainless

Milton makes a really good 250 psi all metal one with 1/2" ports.

their part number is 1020-8
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #5

An dont forget.Anything w/ a sight gauge is most likely polycarbonate an will do the same thing.

Had this happen to me w/ a WATTS filter.Was pissing oil everywhere under pressure.

Metal bowl an casing all the way.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
I'm on a boat

We suggest the Rockstar ones be mounted as far away from the EDC as possible and havent had any trouble with them yet, but with this temperature well over the 100's I know its gonna be tough on all components
Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
.:|Hustlin4life|:.

Quote: Originally Posted by andocommando
We suggest the Rockstar ones be mounted as far away from the EDC as possible and havent had any trouble with them yet, but with this temperature well over the 100's I know its gonna be tough on all components
To correct Andy, we don't recommend they be used with an EDC, but if you are going to use them with an EDC, placing them as far away as possible will prolong the life. No matter the brand, over time the heat will break down a poly carbonate bowl. Thicker bowls will last longer, but they will fail eventually
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #8

thats why i run metal bowl.Live an learn the hard way
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Just had this happen to me with mine... Rockstar 1/2" trap

Was gonna call WayLayed to see if there is any kind of warranty on it but it sounds like probably not. My tank stays at 200 and this morning all of a sudden there's a bang/hiss sound like a gunshot. I immediately knew it was my truck but thought it was a bag blown (which threw me for a total loop because I have Slam bags and they don't rub or anything). Turns out the bowl has a huge crack down one whole side of it

Ando or Dirty... is there anything you guys can do about this? I do have an EDC but I have 6 feet of braided stainless line plus another 4-6 feet of regular airline before the trap, plus my truck has been lifted for over a month and a half and the compressor has maybe ran once every other week since my tank holds air and I don't drop it. So the actual fail today was most likely not related to excessive heat
Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #10

I dont have a water trap on my EDC system.. but now I know what to get when I add one.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Ridin' on Twankies

i have an SMC one under the hood of mine, the one that actually came with the airlift EDC kit.

It says clearly on the side, max pressure 145psi.

I have a 135 psi pressure switch on mine, the EDC kit has been on the truck since like 2003. same water/oil trap, same bowl.

Maybe you guys are running too much pressure through yours? just a thought.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

From what I found it doesn't seem that the SMC one uses a Polycarbonate bowl, but one made of either glass (doubt it) or some other type of plastic.

Either way, I'm sure it's a combination of the heat, pressure, and possibly reactive elements within the oil that cause the Poly bowls to fail

Best bet is to just get an all-metal one. The Milton 1020-8 that J Drummond Service Inc recommended seems to be the best option
Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
YOU ARE GAY

I had on do this but it was from the cold weather. I had it sitting in the parking lot at work in December and when the comps started pumping hot air bang it ****ing blew while I was driving down the road.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
We Bend Stainless

I went to the K Tool show last year after shopping for a water trap that was rated at 200 psi... The traps rated for that kind of pressure are well into the hundreds of dollars range and I didn't want to spend that. The guy at the Devil Biss booth recommended that I check out the Milton booth so I did. I spoke to the rep and he recommended their 1020-8, die cast aluminum bowl and told me that the pressure rating of 150psi only pertained to ones produced with a site glass. I ordered mine for around $35. In my eyes - die cast aluminum > poly/glass ability to stand up to heat/cold/oil... just my opinion... it's the trap to use.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
ELTC

Are the Metal SMC alright to run. Ive got two on my setup. One under the hood and one on the tank. Overkill, possibly but ohwell
Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #16

My pressure switch comes on at 160 and below and kicks off at 190.. so maybe I shouldn't get a water trap unless I find one that can handle the pressure
Old 04-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
YOU ARE GAY

Quote: Originally Posted by Gimp
Are the Metal SMC alright to run. Ive got two on my setup. One under the hood and one on the tank. Overkill, possibly but ohwell
I believe they still have a plastic bowl on the inside of the cup. I may be mistaken.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #18

Yeah i had a WATTS metal bowl thinking i was good.It had what i thought was a glass sight guage.Nope dam poly,got hot an melted had oil pissing all over my engine conpartment. I ended up finding a metal bolt by Coilhouse rated to 350psi.I run my york at 300-325 sometimes a bit higher not a problem
Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #19
Registered Asshole

Quote: Originally Posted by layedouton20s
I believe they still have a plastic bowl on the inside of the cup. I may be mistaken.

some SMC's are all metal. qualityairride sells the all metal ones. grainger sells poly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.