triangulated 4 link upper link bar question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

triangulated 4 link upper link bar question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

triangulated 4 link upper link bar question

I was looking at most of the 4 links on here, is it a bad idea to weld the upper link bar brackets under your cross member? I only see either on the top of the cross member or on the side of it. If the upper link bars are installed with the axle tabs on top like they should be, but the end of the link bars have the brackets under the cross member, will this effect the way the 4 link will work?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #2

Re: triangulated 4 link upper link bar question

like this or similar (like move the upper bar forward a little).

Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

that would probably change pinion alot, i think the bars are supposed to be parrallel at ride height and i dont see them ever being like that.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #4

That is a bad example. Usually the reason for mounting them so high in the front is so they don't hit the driveshaft.
I know if I had the option to mount mine lower, I would to make my instant center correct.

Parallel works but still isn't right. Even a parallel four-link from SD is slightly closer together in the front than the back.

A simplified generally-accepted way of doing it, is at ride height, if you were to extend an imaginary line forward from both bars, they should cross at about the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
triangulated 4 link upper link bar question-x-instantcenterom8.jpg  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by pearldrop
That is a bad example. Usually the reason for mounting them so high in the front is so they don't hit the driveshaft.
I know if I had the option to mount mine lower, I would to make my instant center correct.

Parallel works but still isn't right. Even a parallel four-link from SD is slightly closer together in the front than the back.

A simplified generally-accepted way of doing it, is at ride height, if you were to extend an imaginary line forward from both bars, they should cross at about the front bumper.
I am using a bolt in kit from Cando Specialties. The picture shown had a bracket so you could mount the upper link bars to the x-member but it did not come with the kit when I got it. I was told I would have to weld tabs (supplied) to the x-member instead. But there is a hump in the way, I would have to cut that out and I do not want to do that, ergo the reason for wanting to have the tabs welded to the lower portion of the x-member. But am I ok with doing this? Everything will be aligned (it's a bolt on kit, the axle bracket will be a nice guide for my friend to to get the tabs where they need to be, I already have the lower link bars on for mock up).
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #6

i'm no expert but I just put mine on the bottom last weekend, I still had to raise/pry the floor up about an inch with a long bar and put a square tube ontop that crossmember to make it stay up for clearance.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #7

You could mount them below the stock crossmember but you will need to check for driveshaft clearance.

If you are running a smaller wheel you might not have a problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #8

EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO JALM919!!!!!!!!!!! So the hump part will be my problem if I just have it welded normally? or was the long bar and square tube just for installation purposes? thank you much.

Perldrop, I am using 13" rims. I have my bolt in mini c notch from Suicidedoors installed, but I also drilled in holes for a pair of low profile bumpstops (a friend of mine used to have a Blazer but it had hydraulics in it, I was not fond of the "donk" noise it made sometimes when he was at full drop in the back).
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #9

The square bar is resting above that crossmember holding the floor up about an inch. Its where the arrow is pointing. The other lines are where it gave it some clearance. Without it when i let my truck lower down it was raising the floor each time.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #10

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #11

damn, will a 2x2 .25 OD tube work good? also was there any noticeable change in the amount of drop you had v. the amount of drop you have now with the square tubing? I'm using 13" rims w/the Suicidedoors bolt in mini c notch.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by jalm919
one more question, I ran into problems with the e-brake line. it's in the way of one of my upper link bars (I put both in right now for mock up). What did you do with yours (cancel/relocate)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.