Slam Bags dry rotting? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Slam Bags dry rotting?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
no more S10

User is: OffLine
Slam Bags dry rotting?

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with their Slam Specialites Slam Bags dry rotting? We just pulled the RS-6's out of the front of my buddy's 94 and the SOB's have those littel dry rot cracks/lines all over them. I was thinking I might get myself some RE-7's but damn if they're just gonna dry rot, forget that! I'll stick with 'stones. I just want to hear some feedback from some of yall runnin Slams. Thanks.

-Bryan
Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #2

Re: Slam Bags dry rotting?

This is my first winter bagged and i'm running contis I was just greaseing the front of my truck and they look fine but I don't know about slams which I plan on buying in the spring.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Draggin85

my friend matt has slams on his 99 ranger, and they are also dry rotted pretty bad
Old 12-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #4

I have them on my 97 and they're dry rotted
Old 12-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #5

i trhought they were supposed to resist weather better than any other?...............guess id better stick with my conti's
Old 12-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Xtremely Yellow

My slams look great....about once a month, I put some 'tire wet' on them. I take it you guys haven't applied any kind of rubber protectant to your Slams?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
No more switches

if memory serves me correct it would only be the outside and it doesn't dry rot thru since slams are 3ply.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #8

yea......but they shouldnt do that at all! my 1st gen has conti's and never applied anything to them.they look fine to me.just put conti's on my '94 and wont put anything on them either.i was gonna get slams,but having second thoughts now.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #9

supposedly the new line of slams have fixed that dry rot issue..
Old 12-17-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
Dems 22s

i hope so cause iwas gonna order some next week
Old 12-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #11

Didn't I say this was a problem with their technology well over a year ago?? I'll stick to my stones.

Its a great idea, the slam bags, but I'd rather trust something thats been around for decades.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #12

ive had contis up front they were ok, airlifts, sucks blew out the 300psi bags still dont know how... but no shocks with eitheir of those now ive got stones up front and shocks and its outstanding!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 PM   #13

Do you guys with bags put on armor all or some type of rubber protectant for the bags too look nice and slick and help with the elements?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
No more switches

Quote: Originally Posted by rgarjr
Do you guys with bags put on armor all or some type of rubber protectant for the bags too look nice and slick and help with the elements?
i don't.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
NOW TUCKIN' 20'S

me neither, 2nd winter with no probs, just put air brake antifreeze in take and this week it hasnt been ubove freezing and not frozen balces, dry rot or anything, but the 2.5 year old contis are geting worn out. i was gunna get slams but i think ill just get some stones
Old 12-18-2005, 02:49 AM   #16
Hoods are overrated

my airlifts have been on my truck for 2 years and they still look new, other than a little dirt
Old 12-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #17
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

I think they need to re work there ruber compound. eh. and go less for looks.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #18
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Just got this,

We have changed materials on the slam bag to eliminate the cracking. The new compounds result in a more durable, softer bag that will give you the same performace you would expect from a slam bag - better pressure handling and superior ride quality.

Any cracking wouldn't affect the pressure capability of the bag itself or cause it to blow. It is just on the outer layer of the bag, and doesn't affect the cord within it - the cord being the core strength of the bag.

Nick - Slam Specialties
Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #19
www.dfwminis.com

I will just stick with my contitechs
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #20
no more S10

Quote: Originally Posted by DJDAudio
Just got this,

We have changed materials on the slam bag to eliminate the cracking. The new compounds result in a more durable, softer bag that will give you the same performace you would expect from a slam bag - better pressure handling and superior ride quality.

Any cracking wouldn't affect the pressure capability of the bag itself or cause it to blow. It is just on the outer layer of the bag, and doesn't affect the cord within it - the cord being the core strength of the bag.

Nick - Slam Specialties
Thank Doug. That's good to hear I guess...

Question is should I trust them at their claim of changing the bags or just stick with tried and true Firestone. hmmm
Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #21
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote: Originally Posted by NCarolinaS10
Thank Doug. That's good to hear I guess...

Question is should I trust them at their claim of changing the bags or just stick with tried and true Firestone. hmmm
That would be a tough call, I have NEVER actualy seen one in person or held one so I know realy nothing about them.

Maby there new line has this 'better ' rubber
Old 12-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #22
JON

ive had slams on my dime for over 2 years and they were cracking within 6 months.. i heard it was normal with slams something to do with the rubber around the plates so i kept em on my truck the past couple years and havent had any issues with them
Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #23
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote: Originally Posted by bagdnbdrpt
ive had slams on my dime for over 2 years and they were cracking within 6 months.. i heard it was normal with slams something to do with the rubber around the plates so i kept em on my truck the past couple years and havent had any issues with them

From what I have learned it is more cosmetic then structurual,

They clame the outer 'pretty' coat is what crackes the 'structure' rubber even at the plates will be fine.

I have not found one yet that has failed fromthe cracking.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #24
no more S10

Quote: Originally Posted by DJDAudio
From what I have learned it is more cosmetic then structurual,

They clame the outer 'pretty' coat is what crackes the 'structure' rubber even at the plates will be fine.

I have not found one yet that has failed fromthe cracking.
I may just bite the bullet and get some of the new ones.

Doug, I may be able to get a hold of a used Slam RE-6 (that does have this cracking). It's a long shot but it's possible. If I can, would you want it for any reason? Not sure if you'd want to run any crazy tests or whatever it is that you do?

Edit: May not be an RE-6. It's whatever the old style Slams were called? Were they called RE or RS? Either way, it's not the new style, it's the old kind the cracks.

Last edited by NCarolina910; 12-20-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #25
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

I may just bite the bullet and get some of the new ones.

Doug, I may be able to get a hold of a used Slam RE-6 (that does have this cracking). It's a long shot but it's possible. If I can, would you want it for any reason? Not sure if you'd want to run any crazy tests or whatever it is that you do?
hell ye man let me know what shipping would be I would lov to 'pick' them apart.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #26
20'z...WUT

yah im thinkin of orderin some re-7's really soon and if there goin 2 b crackin and shit forget it
Old 12-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #27

How close to ground can I get my s-10 with bags, without cutting or notching the frame? Do I need to get new leaf springs, or should I remove part of the existing springs?Is there anyone in here that's in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #28
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote: Originally Posted by scarecrow85
How close to ground can I get my s-10 with bags, without cutting or notching the frame? Do I need to get new leaf springs, or should I remove part of the existing springs?Is there anyone in here that's in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area?

http://www.bagginit.com/

notch calulator

http://www.bagginit.com/Miscellaneous
Old 12-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #29
Slam Specialties

Exclamation Re: Slam Bags dry rotting?

The definitive answer to the Slam Bags question...

In 2004 we worked with new suppliers to develop a rubber compound that would eliminate the cracking that was experienced (intermittently) among some of our customers. Since the introduction of the new material the first of 2005, we have not experienced ANY calls or complaints about the outer material cracking. All of the inquiries have been product that had been of the previous lot/material - Old stock that was purchased from a third party, or otherwise.

Other information that should be of note - All RS, ES, and HS bags manufactured as of the first of 2005 contain the new outer material. The RE series (released in october of 2005) will have a stamp on the bottom designating RE and not RS. The Evolution series contain new materials inside and out.

I hope this helps clarify things some, and give you the correct information directly from the source.

for more information and questions - visit www.slamspecialties.com

-Nick
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #30
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote: Originally Posted by SlamNick

In 2004 we worked with new suppliers to develop a rubber compound that would eliminate the cracking that was experienced (intermittently) among some of our customers. Since the introduction of the new material the first of 2005, we have not experienced ANY calls or complaints about the outer material cracking. All of the inquiries have been product that had been of the previous lot/material - Old stock that was purchased from a third party, or otherwise.

Other information that should be of note - All RS, ES, and HS bags manufactured as of the first of 2005 contain the new outer material. The RE series (released in october of 2005) will have a stamp on the bottom designating RE and not RS. The Evolution series contain new materials inside and out.

I hope this helps clarify things some, and give you the correct information directly from the source.

-Nick
wow thanks man

That helps. and welcome.

Is your seal system on the XS a seceret? if not mind sending me some pics of the seal?
I would like to point out to everyone how cool and well thought out it is lol

djd@landisusa.com

Last edited by DJDAudio; 12-20-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #31
Honest Abe's Fab Shoppe

yay! I just ordered me some RE8's last tuesday too!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #32
former owner

Edit: May not be an RE-6. It's whatever the old style Slams were called? Were they called RE or RS? Either way, it's not the new style, it's the old kind the cracks.
RS-62s
As for testing the compounds, I work with just the guy for rubber compounds. He leads the developments of our hose compounds for our high and low pressure applications.
But why test the old bags? You need their chemical formula for the compound to do much of anything, anyway, and if they have the problem fixed then there's not much point.

SlamNick,

is there anyway to look at my RS72s and tell if they are the new compound? I haven't installed them yet, so taking a look at the bottom or top plate would be easy. Please, let us know, if there's something we can do. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #33
no more S10

Quote: Originally Posted by SlamNick

-Nick
Sounds great!! I'm gonna call SD and order me some RE-7's right now.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #34
static dreams

From personal experience, I am running rs-72's in the front and re-8's in the rear. No dry rotting whatsoever. Very nice bags. I run the rs's up front w/ no shocks and everytime I get in and drive I am always amazed at how great they feel. Definetly a grade A product. Thank you Slam Specialties!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:09 PM   #35
forklift mechanic

Whoow, i first read this thread and was about to break into tears. Hopefully the "new" compoumnd is what it is CRACKED up to be because i just ordered my re-7s from sd yesterday morning... I hope they get here by christmas!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #36

call nick at slam specialties....he is the man....warrentied my bags without question....I will only run slam bags on my future projects
Old 01-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #37
Kurrupted Kreations

I've had slam bag for about 4 months now and i love how much more lift i get compare to anyother bag. I wouldn't go with any other bag.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #38
stone the crow...

ive had mine for about 2 years now yeah they have cracks and chunks out of them but they did not blow. I am glad to see that they came out with a better rubber compound just makes me wanna keep buying them.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #39

i got me some, re7s in the front and re8s in the back
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #40
Anybody got 20's?

Well this thread has me sold now. I guess I'll run re7's in the front and re8's in the back
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #41
Flat Out Fabricator

i just ordered me some re-7's also for the front of mine. Maybe they wont dry rot
Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #42
Air ride equipped

mine look great.. no probs here, and so are at least 3 other of my buddies slams!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #43

why are you guys running the re8's in the rear??
Old 01-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #44

i have RE8s sitting right next to me waiting to go on the lower bars
Old 01-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #45
just got laid

airlifts have a bad batch and they're scarred for life
slams have a bad compound that causes dry rot once they say they've fixed it they're the next best thing to suicidedoors.com

wtf is the difference here please explain
Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #46

I'll have to look I bought 2 HS82's in Nov of 04 and 2 in early 2005... Mine is a full on unique vehicle and I'll be pissed if the bags degrade and cost me points in judging.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #47
LSX LUV Owner

i got all slams on my truck and so far so good..
Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #48
Completly Useless Truck

Quote: Originally Posted by rgarjr
yes, it helps the bags in the same way it helps tires.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 AM   #49
Anybody got 20's?

Quote: Originally Posted by drivewaydime
airlifts have a bad batch and they're scarred for life
slams have a bad compound that causes dry rot once they say they've fixed it they're the next best thing to suicidedoors.com

wtf is the difference here please explain
You got to remember though. Slams have been having the cracking and it was just cosmetic and no other problems. People were posting left and right about they're airlifts blowing and deforming.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #50
just got laid

yeah but airlift has since fixed their problem also but they are held down by this reputation
the slam compound problem could just as easily been more than just cosmetic and i bet this would be forgotten 2 posts later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.