S-10 Forum banner

Project: Breath of fresh air. (York 210 install *not 56K friendly*)

38K views 89 replies 44 participants last post by  boricua4_life 
#1 ·
(Warning, this is a long post, read at your own risk. lol )

Everybody that has a bagged truck seems to always crave two things, to go even lower and more air. This was my quest for more air, going lower will come later. ;)

My previous air demands were met by a pair of Viair 450C compressors. These comps are now to serve as back ups in case something ever goes wrong with the EDC. For almost two years I ran these puppies to 175 psi daily and they are still going strong. Great compressors, but my problem was that I wanted a faster recovery than the 450s could supply.

Here is the truck used in this write up, my 03 S10 x-cab, 4.3/auto.

So I started researching EDCs. I looked into the kit from Airlift and decided that was too much to spend and I really wanted a 210 instead of the 209 the kits come with. I also found that though there is a lot of info out there on the comps themselves there does not seem to be a lot of info on installing them in S10s.

Anyways with the choice made to go with the 210 I set about finding one. I found this one on eBay from a seller that sells rebuilt AC comps. I picked this one up for $80 bucks. More than one from a junk yard, but I wanted one I knew to be in good shape.

To engage the clutch I picked up a twin groove clutch pulley from Napa. It is for a mid 80's model Ford truck, part number is 274224.

To mount the comp to the motor I went with the Suicide Doors York 209 bracket kit. This bracket will fit the 210 but it takes a little modding. It would make things easier if SD offered this bracket in a 210 configuration as well. Anyways here are a couple pictures of the bracket, just a note though, after these pics where taken, I had to make the holes a bit bigger to fully clear.

To run the comp I made what I call "my air log". It holds the pressure switch, check valve, water/oil trap, and plumbing for the unloader valve.

At this stage I started on the install. Here is what it looked like before. It is dirty under the hood, so please over look that and I know some people won't like the pink, but thats OK.

Here it is with everything that was in the way removed. The alternator, overflow jug, computer, fan shroud, and battery all had to be moved out of the way.

Here is the pully for the alt that will drive the York. It is from Kilby Enterprises, (though I ordered it from Gauge and they drop shipped it from Airlift lol)

Compressor braket loosely mounted.

Adding the 40 weight oil.

Comp mounted. The fitting on top are from Kilby, the price was OK, but they rape you on shipping.

Comp, idler pulley, belt, and alt. in place along with the upper support bracket.

To keep the intake air clean I picked up a "ricer" filter from Advanced Auto and a fitting from the local hardware store.

To keep the compressor happy I added a crank case vent to it made from another ricer filter, some brake line and a fitting from Napa. I installed the fitting into the oil fill hole an bent up the brake line and mounted the filter to the top. Not shown is the rubber hose I used to make the filter fit the line.

At this point I noticed a small problem, with the comp in place the battery was way too close to the clutch pulley. This was an easy fix, I just moved the battery over in the tray, the other problem was the battery cable was not able to fit between the tray and the pulley with out being to close to the pulley. I fixed that by trimming away the corner of the battery tray. Now there is plenty of room.

Now for the next little problem, what to do with the computer? Originally it mounted to the over flow jug, now with it gone I needed a mount for it. I knew I wanted it in the stock location so I started on a mount to put it there. I used brake line to make this and brazed it up. I made two pieces, a lower level that mounted to the inner fender in the stock over flow jug location using the stock hardware. The upper level was made to attach to the computer in the stock location using the stock hardware. Then 1" braces were brazed in to lift the computer up and mount it like I wanted it.

The computer mount.

Installed on the inner fender.

With the computer mounted to the mount.

I ran the leader hose (from waylayed) across the back of the engine and down the left side of the frame. I was going to run it down the right side, but there was just not enough room.

I mounted the log in the bed and ran the wires and airline to the tank. I still need to loom the wires and tie them up out of the way.

Here it is finished up under the hood. I still have some wiring to clean up and I need to pick up a small over flow jug, but over all it is finished and working.

And just how fast is it? Here is the time it took to fill my 8 gallon tank from 0psi to 175 psi. :eek:

Needless to say I am quite happy with the outcome of the project and would recommend an EDC over a standard electric compressor any day.
Thanks for reading my long winded post and any advice or questions please feel free to post them up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the info, its always apreciated when someone takes the time to put good info out there. Ill keep this thread in my favorites for when i get around to an edc. Does anyone run electrics and an edc at the same time? or would that just be hugely overkill. Not running the electrics as backup i mean, but running them at the same time.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys. After living with the EDC for three days I am now curious how I lived so long with out one lol.

Thanks for the info, its always appreciated when someone takes the time to put good info out there. Ill keep this thread in my favorites for when i get around to an edc. Does anyone run electrics and an edc at the same time? or would that just be hugely overkill. Not running the electrics as backup i mean, but running them at the same time.
Your welcome. That is the main reason I made this thread was to put out there some install information in one place. When I was searching for info on installing a york I kept coming up short. I could run the electrics at the same time but it would be pointless. It would only make about a 20sec difference in fill times from 0psi to 175psi and next to no difference in the 145 to 175 psi range. To me it just is not worth the noise that comes with running the electrics when you don't have to.:cool:

Looks like a good clean install...Great job

And thanks for your business man
Thanks and it won't be the last time I buy from you either. Your guys customer service rocks and shipping is hella fast, plus the prices kick ass.

so how much did this cost when u finished it
I haven't figured it up exactly yet, but somewhere around $500 for everything. It can be done a lot cheaper by picking up a used York and clutch from the junk yard. My truck is a daily so that is why I went with the new comp, just for piece of mind more than anything else.

very nice.
i plan on doing this soon.
only one thing i have a bigger alt. case.. have a feeling i'll run in to some problems.:rant:
You will not regret it.
I don't know how much bigger your alt case is, but there is still quite a bit of room between the alt and comp bracket.

People do run electrics with these. Ill be finishing up mine soon. good install. Question. In the pic where you have the clutch and the clutch mount, referring to the clutch mount: is the top open part of that piece siliconed in? it looks like it from the pic, but its super dark and I can't really tell.
It has something over it, it kinda looks like silicone, but feels like plastic. I am not sure what it is exactly, thats just how it came out of the box.

Nice, and the pink loom is :boobies:.
LOL I think you may be biased, but I agree. :D

awesome, im about to do the same thing except use the serpentine belt.
I was going to go serpentine, but I went v-belt as a precaution. This way if the comp or clutch ever locks up the truck is still drivable and can get me home. A serp setup would be considerably cleaner though.

I say make this a sticky/how-to
Thanks for the kind words. That would be cool, I have never had a post that anybody considered sticky worthy before. :nuts:

#8 ·
People do run electrics with these. Ill be finishing up mine soon. good install. Question. In the pic where you have the clutch and the clutch mount, referring to the clutch mount: is the top open part of that piece siliconed in? it looks like it from the pic, but its super dark and I can't really tell.

#9 ·
Nice, and the pink loom is :boobies:.

#13 ·
This was EXTREMELY well put together post and the pictures helped out TONS...thanks man.

Could I recommend ONE thing tho? Maybe make another post on here with the list of everything you used, all the way down to the fittings. Maybe it will give people an idea of just how much goes into makin one of these bad boys work.

Once again, great work man, I vote sticky.

#15 ·
Thank you.

I will get a list together of the parts I used, I saved all my recipts I just have not went through them yet. When I do I'll post up the parts list.

On another note here is my temporary solution to not having an overflow jug. I stop to get gas yesterday and grabed a small bottle of milk. After I finished off the milk I went to trow the bottle away and realized it was the perfect size to be used as an overflow jug. So I drilled a hole in the lid and fed the hose into it and BAM, instant overflow jug. :rotf:

#16 ·
nicely done!

If you install a larger filter on the intake you will go through less oil ;) I know sounds funny lol but can explain if needed.

#19 ·
Thats ballin man. ill have mine up and running very soon as well. Can't wait to get her running. Difference between you/many others and me is This is my first bagged truck and im going edc straight from the start. I dont even see a reason to why people run electrics. They sabotage your power if you run car audio shiz (which needs every little bit it can get), they are loud, and you gotta find a place to mount it. The york install is pretty straight forward.

Reason i asked about the clutch mount is because the one i bought off ebay looks like this:

its like super eroded or something or maybe that is just how it was. Referring to yours, I would like to fill that bitch up with some silicone or glue or something to make it more durable. How does the coil work anyways? like how does it trigger and engage the clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.