Out of balance driveshaft/wrong pinion angle? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Out of balance driveshaft/wrong pinion angle?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Out of balance driveshaft/wrong pinion angle?

Can anybody tell me the symptoms of these two? I'm trying to figure out what's up with my truck. I have a slight vibration in the gas pedal when I accelerate down hills and while I'm coasting, also if I take it on the highway and go like 70mph.

When we bagged it we set the pinion angle to the equal and opposite angle of the trans. I also had to have my driveshaft shortened and rebalanced. So the vibration is probably from one of these.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #2

Re: Out of balance driveshaft/wrong pinion angle?

Quote: Originally Posted by PinkNoma
Can anybody tell me the symptoms of these two? I'm trying to figure out what's up with my truck. I have a slight vibration in the gas pedal when I accelerate down hills and while I'm coasting, also if I take it on the highway and go like 70mph.

When we bagged it we set the pinion angle to the equal and opposite angle of the trans. I also had to have my driveshaft shortened and rebalanced. So the vibration is probably from one of these.

Thanks.
i have the same problem...i'm havin my driveshaft balanced as we speak..you said you had it reblanced though. if it has been reblanced then that should be the problem...then again i donno cause i'm having the same problem and cant figure it out...whtas you pinion angel look like???pic?..when i get my shaft back i will let you know if the vibration stops
Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Hola Bitches

Quote: Originally Posted by PinkNoma

Thanks.
same thing with mine and I have had mine shortened ..and get the same vibration and almost when you let go of the gas it sounds like grinding ...but its not ...weird
Old 09-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #4

what rear setups are you guys running? pinknoma has the 5 link on a reg cab, you other 2?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #5

i have the same problem and haven't found a solution

edit: i'm running a 5-link on an ext cab

Last edited by Blacknoma; 09-06-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Hola Bitches

Im running a SD 3 Link ...REG. Cab
Old 09-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
LSX LUV Owner

mine has a slight vibratin only when i take off.. i dont care though..
Old 09-07-2006, 07:23 AM   #8

Hmm... I think I might mellow out my pinion angle by a half turn of my forward link bars this weekend. See if that does anything.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
twanc

i have the same prob on a 84 ext cab (small vibration while taking off) I'm thinking it is the pinion angle. Im going to align it at work tonight and i will let u know.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #10

I have the same kinda thing, except mine is mainly on take off. On take off i get a bad chadder, shimmy, whatever ya wanna call it, my gear shift bounces all over the place, IT SUCKS. I have been battling it for 1.5years now trying to get it fixed. I even did all the fancy math and got my 2 u-joints to mathmatically phase properly with the angles and that didnt help either. It goes away when i air the truck all the way up so i know it has to do with the angles, i dont even know what kind of shop would know how to fix it.. it really sucks. I had my whole shaft re-tubed and balance already becasue i thought that was it, it wasnt. I took it toa shop called "Driveline" and they blammed it on my super pivot joints.. which it isnt.. so lame. It could also be becase mine is a Ext. cab, V6. 5 Speed with the single u joints / 2 piece drive shaft. My buddy has the same driveline setup as me and his does it to... what a pain in the neck... i wish i could fix mine.. you arent alone!!!!
- Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #11

i have the same thing. i thinks its related to the pinion angle tho. when im doin like 70 mph and i let go of the gas i get the lil 'grinding' type noise also. it did it when it was static dropped too so idk what it actually is.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
***1987 LSX S10***

a ride height u guys should have the pinion set to like -2or3 degrees
Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
Hola Bitches

yea more often than not I dont drive usually ever at ride height ..lol...so I think it has something to do with a bagged truck that I drive and its gonna have kinks ...
Old 09-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
Bagged

Do you guys with extened cabs have you carrier bearing shimmed? It helped a lot on mine.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #15

mine does this on take off when i run the rear below 40 psi i get the knocking shimmy noise and feel the vibration it will do it at 35 psi but not at 40 im gonna say its pinion angle i have adjusted my bars out 5 turns with no help i am runnin the 5 link regular cab
Old 09-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
Anybody got 20's?

Quote: Originally Posted by chevy power
Do you guys with extened cabs have you carrier bearing shimmed? It helped a lot on mine.
It would help alot if you shim the tranny and carrier bearing up. I did that to mine and it helped alot.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #17

I just got around to working on my truck (been working 6 day weeks). I lengthened my forward bars half a turn. It seems to have helped a lot. My pinion angle now sits between 3º-3 1/2º. I need to go drive it down a hill though. That was when it was worst. But right now it seems pretty good.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by SoLowXtreme
a ride height u guys should have the pinion set to like -2or3 degrees
Why?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #19
KentuckyMinis.com

its pretty common to get some what of a vibration with any link setup its just normal really...

My buddy got_u_sick has the sd.com wishbone 3 link, and he gets some what of a vibration but its just normal...
Old 09-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
The Der

Quote: Originally Posted by thepunkerguy
I have the same kinda thing, except mine is mainly on take off. On take off i get a bad chadder, shimmy, whatever ya wanna call it, my gear shift bounces all over the place, IT SUCKS. I have been battling it for 1.5years now trying to get it fixed. I even did all the fancy math and got my 2 u-joints to mathmatically phase properly with the angles and that didnt help either. It goes away when i air the truck all the way up so i know it has to do with the angles, i dont even know what kind of shop would know how to fix it.. it really sucks. I had my whole shaft re-tubed and balance already becasue i thought that was it, it wasnt. I took it toa shop called "Driveline" and they blammed it on my super pivot joints.. which it isnt.. so lame. It could also be becase mine is a Ext. cab, V6. 5 Speed with the single u joints / 2 piece drive shaft. My buddy has the same driveline setup as me and his does it to... what a pain in the neck... i wish i could fix mine.. you arent alone!!!!
- Mike
mike i am having the same problem as you wiht my new truck sd 3 link 5 speed 4.3
Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #21

its deffinitly the pinion angle get it set right at your ride height and you wont have a problem.I have the same problem on my truck that I just finished baggin a couple of days ago I have to adjust my bars I have a KP, I also had the same problem on my lifted chevy the whole coasting down hills thing and getting on the gasvibration and grinding. What happens is your driveshaft angles are different at your pinion and transmission and what happens is they fight eachother and bind causing the grinding sound and vibration fix it or youll be going through pinion bearings from the vibration it will screw them up pretty bad not to mention your transmission too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.