How to make your own 4 link - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to make your own 4 link

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2002, 11:15 PM   #1

How to make your own 4 link

I wont a 4 link set up but thats just to much to pay for bars
so I was wondering if any one had any diagrams or info on maybe building them. Also if anyone has any pics or diagrams
of a full 4 link system that can be slammed. And on my front set up what kind of mods will I have to do to slam. I have a 87'

Sorry for all these repetive post but Ihave very little experiance
and am trying to figure out the best possible way to do this.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
Draggin body member

User is: OffLine
Your own 4link

Yo man, making your own 4link is going to be a serious task. You wil have to get everythin cut and measured perfectly. If you really wanted to go thru the task of doing it. I would give some shops a call and see if they could give ya the dimensions on there bars..length, width, what kinda ends.and try it from there! FOr your front, if u have an s10 i aint sure. you will need 2" drop spindles, and bags to lay out! and in the back, notch, bags, and either monoleaf setup or 4-link

If you have any more questions i will gladly helpy out, just drop me an e-mail or add me

jschatz@minot.com
aol- dragnphrames10
msn- joshy_100@hotmail.com

Thanks alot
Old 07-28-2002, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanx

Hey man thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #4
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.

hey drag_it, do you know where i can find some good info on how to do a monoleaf setup?
Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 PM   #5
Draggin body member

Yeah

Basicallly if your going to run a monolfea all you have to do is remove all of your leafsprings except the longest one. That will give u a decent drop. You can also Flip you springs once u get them mono'd should give u a little drop, or better lowring capabilities when the back bagged (it will go down better)

hope this helps..

Jpkustoms Prime source for air bag suspension
www.geocities.com/tukkn20s/products.html

Josh
Old 07-31-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
Are you Sittin Pretti?

Drag_it, aren't you on SSM? I have my own custom 4 link. Everything cost about 50 bucks for the bars and other lil stuff we got to fab some **** up. My fittings and airline cost more than the 4 link itself. well, and bushings were a lil spendy too. I have pics at DroppedMyS10 at www.streetsourcemag.com just go to the people finder and type in my name. I have pics of it all. Or email me at DroppedmyS10@aol.com
Old 07-31-2002, 11:49 PM   #7
Draggin body member

dropped my s10.. I never said it costd anything! i was telling him It was going to be a tough thing to do if you dont do it everyday!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:37 AM   #8

I am gonna take a slightly different view here. If you dont know what your doing with the geometry of a four link or know the difference in quality of materials and rod ends I would highly suggest not doing it or become knowledgable on the subject before you kill your self or someone else when that rear end comes flying out of there.

Tony....
Old 08-01-2002, 10:48 AM   #9
I hate working on trucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony@AirRideTech
I am gonna take a slightly different view here. If you dont know what your doing with the geometry of a four link or know the difference in quality of materials and rod ends I would highly suggest not doing it or become knowledgable on the subject before you kill your self or someone else when that rear end comes flying out of there.

Tony....
I'm with you on this. I built my own 4 link. If you know what you are doing I would say go ahead, but if not I would try to find a shop or a friend that can help you. It would get real ugly if your rear end fell out.

Later
Jr
Old 08-01-2002, 10:53 AM   #10
body dropped

I just posted a pic of mine. Under "2 more pics of my Isuzu"

You could use that as a ref.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by lowerthebetter

I'm with you on this. I built my own 4 link. If you know what you are doing I would say go ahead, but if not I would try to find a shop or a friend that can help you. It would get real ugly if your rear end fell out.

Later
Jr
Ditto, thats when you are alot better off buying a quality pre-fabbed four link. That way you know you are getting quality components and the geometry has already been figured out for you. Unfortunatly, I would suggest turning to the hot rod indusrty to make sure you are getting good stuff. I have seen alot of four link offered by alot of these so called truck custom shops that I wouldnt put on a golf cart or a red flyer wagon.

Tony....
Old 08-01-2002, 11:05 AM   #12
I hate working on trucks

Quote:

Ditto, thats when you are alot better off buying a quality pre-fabbed four link. That way you know you are getting quality components and the geometry has already been figured out for you. Unfortunatly, I would suggest turning to the hot rod indusrty to make sure you are getting good stuff. I have seen alot of four link offered by alot of these so called truck custom shops that I wouldnt put on a golf cart or a red flyer wagon.

Tony....
True that. Look in Speedway. They will have all the stuff you need. That's were I got my 4 link ends.

Later
Jr
Old 08-01-2002, 11:06 AM   #13
body dropped

Hot Rod Tony!

Tony's right, about this at least. lol Hot rod guys have been doing this for years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make your own 4 link-p-and-j2.jpg  
Old 08-01-2002, 11:08 AM   #14
I hate working on trucks

How much did that setup cost. It look's sweet.

Later
Jr
Old 08-01-2002, 11:11 AM   #15

Hey

I was looking at four links on this one site and it said if you order it you have to choose the bar length...why and what would mine be my truck is in my signature.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:11 AM   #16
body dropped

I think my cost on it was.......... I can't give that info away. It would be in Canadian funds anyway. Contact Kevin@AAC and he'll let ya know what it retails for.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:19 AM   #17

On the s-series trucks you are alot better off using a tri-angulated four link because you simply dont have the room between the tire and the frame to run a parallel. I do not recommend running the upper bars in reverse. Doing that will contradict any good geometry you had in purchasing a good four link. Unfortunaly to do it right will require you to get a fuel cell made and move the tank or you will need to fabricate a good crossmember and run the bars from center of the crossmember out torwards the ends of the axle tubes. Now if you didnt want to move all of that stuff and really didnt want to fab it all up then you need to look at doing a bolt on system.

Tony....
Old 08-01-2002, 01:07 PM   #18
Afterhours Admin

Quote:
[B]Unfortunaly to do it right will require you to get a fuel cell made and move the tank or you will need to fabricate a good crossmember and run the bars from center of the crossmember out torwards the ends of the axle tubes.
Tony, do you sell a four link like that? if not, how does your weld in four link mount onto the frame? thanks
Old 08-01-2002, 07:50 PM   #19

info

Quote:
Yes I agree with you I dont want to die. And thats why I posted this,so I could become more knowledgable on the subject. So if any one knows were I could find some info on this that would be great. My dad and grandpa will both be helping me, and both have alot of automotive experiance ,but not over this.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.