S-10 Forum banner

How do you adjust a bolt-on 4 link?

7K views 66 replies 16 participants last post by  lowho75 
#1 ·
I just got this truck and it has a lot of problems. I just popped the u-joint. It has really bad vibration through most of the mph range. I think it all has to do with the four link.I am going to fix all of the problems need to take care of the worst one first. Needs shocks all the way around it. If anyone can tell who made this four link and how to adjust it? I will try to get some better pic later cause it is raining now. If anyone has some parts for sell let me know new bags, rollpan, 8 port tank, etc.

See less See more
#4 ·
looks almost like the new gas tank crossmember wasnt moved back (to raise the tank) and so the pinion points down instead of normally up on s10s. there arent any adjustments on the uppers, you can look at the lowers but if you adjust the pinion with the lowers you will probably need to shorten the drive shaft.

#8 ·
the upper link bars can be adjusted bu loostening the locking nuts and turning the link bars but at this point they are all the way in (withing a turn or 2) so all you can do is turn em out so the pinion angle would be pointing more upwards than now. cant see the lower link bars so i dont know if they are all the way turned or not.

#11 ·
Here is the rear links. I think they are barely threaded in there. The bottom rear link bar on the passenger side i can lift up the bar and end link. Not good. How should i go about resetting the whole four link as it is in there now, until i can get some new parts and reweld up everything?

#13 ·
I had some bad vibration in the rear and i think and hope this is the problem, probably not they only problem with the rear vibration. I don't know what they did to the drum but it looks like they drug it against the ground. Nothing needs to be said about the adapters. I am on the look out for some new rims! If you look close you can see where they only welded up ONE side of the lower rear bag mount after they hacked it up.I got some tax money coming so if anyone has any parts let me know.

#14 ·
it "appears" the lower link tabs are bolted to the frame only (not welded) so you can remove the bolts for both sides, then screw in the link ends that are attatched to the axle so they are 2/3 in and then redrill the holes that hold the front hangers. (should be an inch or so further back) giving you more adjustment either way and definately more threads holding yer link ends.

#19 ·
I mounted all of my 4 link stuff using the instructions that they gave. I grinded the rivets off and removed the stock gas tank crossmember and bolted the new crossmember in using the holes left from the rivets.

The frame mounts for the lower link bars, should be a little farther back on the frame than the stock leafspring hangers. I forget how much,but it's not a bunch. I'll look it up in a moment. If all else fails,i'll go outside and measure it on my truck.

Your pinion angle is probably off like the others said. Lift the truck to your normal ride height,and adjust the pinion from there. To adjust the link bars,just unbolt one end of the bar and twist the end peice to lengthen/shorten it then tighten the locknut down when you have it the proper length. It's hard to explain,but i can adjust mine fairly easily.

I've broken a front u-joint once (Scary shit at 50mph) but i don't blame the 4 link. I had a mono leaf setup for a little while,and the pinion was crap,and the u joint made horrible noise above 40mph. For the money the fbi four link is great and really easy to install. I havent had any problems and my truck is my daily,plus i still haul stuff with it.

#20 ·
My truck will not staying running since my u joint broke. It will crank and run for s sec. then die. I can't seem to find the fuel pump relay because it is such a hack job inside and out. I have changed the fuel filter and that has not worked, i put a multi meter on one side of the connector at the fuel pump and i get 12 volt when trying to start the truck so the connector is getting power. I think it is the fuel pump is bad, but i want some suggestion from you guys before i go out and buy one. Also if i leave the connector to the fuel pump plugged in and disconnect all the hoses at the fuel pump,the fuel pump should pump fuel out and onto the ground if it is working, cause I hear no whirl like it coming on at all when i turn the key. Also i cannot find a fuse box other than the one on the side of the dash. I have looked all under the dash short of taking it out. Here are some pics

#23 ·
There is no check engine or security light coming on. Crazy thing is that the truck has been running fine until the u joint broke and was trying to pull over, when i got the truck pulled over the truck began to shudder like it did not want to run anymore and die and I have not been able to get it running since and had to have it towed home. I disconnected the fuel pump connector and all the hoses to the fuel pump and cranked it and it turns over and ran for a sec. I have check to see if the grounds are bad but they seem to be fine.

#27 ·
I have the same FBI 4 link, and I have ZERO problems.

I got the FBI 4 link install instructions, its a 2 pg. super easy to understand, just double check measurements/install points.
send me a PM with your prefered email, ill shoot them over to you.

Cheers,

ELI

#29 ·
Whoo Hoo! I figured out my fuel issue. I was the plug that was inside the tank on the fuel pump that cam loose. You can see by the pictures that the clip is bent and loose. It came loose and basically cut power to the fuel pump.

Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.