S-10 Forum banner

Going from SSD 3 link w/behind and under to SD 5 link questions

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Patawick 
#1 ·
truck sits with the bolt on SD 3 link (older style short bars) and bags behind and under. Im about to be cutting off my axle brackets soon and putting on the rear section of a bolt on 5 link.
My question, is my pinion angle going to be good where been at for so long at or will i most likely be making some changes? I dont for the life of me remember what its set at right now but Ill have that info later on.

Just curious if anyone else has went from 3 link bags behind and under to full on 5 link and faced any gremlins along the way

#3 ·
my thoughts as well. IDK i guess because i going to the 1:2 ratio now something in my mind had me thinking that if my pinion angle wasnt correctly set (as is with the 3 link on) then things would be all sorts of ****ed up when i get the rest of the 5 liink on and set.

#6 ·
Dude as long as you set your axle parallel with tranny at ride height the lift bars won't matter. For example my ride height is set at 4" off the ground. My tranny is about 3 degrees \ therefore I set the yolk 3 degrees \ making them parallel. Just use a good digital angle finder. Once it's set do the lift bars.

If you are going to use the shock portion of that bracket make sure you rotate it enough so that the shocks will clear the axle on on side and that the lift bar doesn't bind on the other side. The bars are closest to the axle when they are parallel to the ground ( assuming truck is level)

#7 ·
Dude as long as you set your axle parallel with tranny at ride height the lift bars won't matter. For example my ride height is set at 4" off the ground. My tranny is about 3 degrees \ therefore I set the yolk 3 degrees \ making them parallel. Just use a good digital angle finder. Once it's set do the lift bars.

If you are going to use the shock portion of that bracket make sure you rotate it enough so that the shocks will clear the axle on on side and that the lift bar doesn't bind on the other side. The bars are closest to the axle when they are parallel to the ground ( assuming truck is level)
makes complete sense thanks bud

#8 ·
Hmmm, i just bought a sd 3 link used, im thinking about running a 5 as well, i just just nedd two bars and 4 tabs and shackles ? Do they make a kit to but to add the 3 to a 5 ?
I thought some time ago i heard of one.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.