failed emissions test? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

failed emissions test?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
dun4sho

User is: OffLine
failed emissions test?

i have a2001 2.2 4cyl. ok just bagged the truck a month ago i relocated the evap canister and purge sylinoid . now i went thru emissions testing and failed it said the readiness monitors arent ready . i have no check engine lights on. the chevy dealer said to drive the truck and they will reset. just wondering if anyone else had this problem and long does it take to reset?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
5 inch bodydrop bitches

Re: failed emissions test?

we dont have emisions tests here
Old 02-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

WHat the chevy dealer said is true. It means that the computer once saw a fault (probably durring relocation) and no longer sees the fault. It will take some time now as the computer scans and readys the system back out. Just drive the truck. If there are no more faults then the system will reset itself and you will pass
Old 02-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #4

I don't know if it works like the check engine light and all, but did you try unhooking your battery for a few hours and then putting it back in to reset the computer? That would probably do it as long as there is no more faults
- Mike
Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote: Originally Posted by thepunkerguy
I don't know if it works like the check engine light and all, but did you try unhooking your battery for a few hours and then putting it back in to reset the computer? That would probably do it as long as there is no more faults
- Mike
That does not work on OBDII vehicles (96+)
Old 02-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by 1fast4by
That does not work on OBDII vehicles (96+)
Ok, just an idea. My truck is a 98 and I have a bad connection on the sensor on the top of my gas tank and it keeps popping my check engine light on every now and again, if i take out the battery for a bit then it clears the code and the light goes off. Thats why i figured it might work for him.
- Mike
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Hoods are overrated

drive the truck for about 500 miles, the computer takes that long to fully read the EVAP system, charcoal box, and O2 sensors, and air injection
Old 02-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
forum idiot

or get a scanner and clear the codes...

i used to pull out my ecu fuse in my 96 sonoma and that would reset the check engine light...
Old 02-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
!! TALK NOW !!

i would unhook my ground cable for a few hrs.. that seem to reset it when i needed it... and if you still can't pass.. get Truck plates.. rate the truck at a GVW over 10,000 lbs and u get truck plates... no need for emissions or anything.. just little more expensive. that is what i have done and will always need to do
Old 02-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote: Originally Posted by drps10
i would unhook my ground cable for a few hrs.. that seem to reset it when i needed it... and if you still can't pass.. get Truck plates.. rate the truck at a GVW over 10,000 lbs and u get truck plates... no need for emissions or anything.. just little more expensive. that is what i have done and will always need to do

More details?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
!! TALK NOW !!

well where I live, you can get truck plates for anything with a GVW over 10,000 lbs. ( i think that is the right weight) If you open your door. the sticker should show the GVW. If you actually use that, you won't get the plates. We did it with a dually because were were 100 lbs short of it and we tow alot of things. So dad just wrote down 10,100 lbs as the GVW and we got the TRUCK plates. That is what i will do with my s10 cuz it won't pass Echeck.. I can ask him more about it, if you have to do anything else with it. But i think that is it.. NO emissions needed
Old 02-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #12

i swap my tags from my corolla to whatever wont pass. in tenn you can take a vaild tag off a car transfer it to the "bad" vehicle, then in a week or so go back and test your good car and re-tag it. pretty easy...
Old 02-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
dun4sho

i dont think i will put 500 miles on there between now and march thats when my tags expire . i only have 28000 on it now its a 2001 lol
Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Quote: Originally Posted by david owens
i dont think i will put 500 miles on there between now and march thats when my tags expire . i only have 28000 on it now its a 2001 lol
Seriously though, that's all you can do, i know exactly what you're talking about.. It's not a problem with the job you did relocating the evap, if it was that your MIL would be on, which it isnt. It's because the evap monitor takes FOREVER to become "ready" resetting the ecu will only make it take longer most likely, there's no "code" to clear, the answer is to just drive the shit out of it. Mine had to be driven about 20 miles before the evap system showed as ready the last time i got a smog check.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
62 Impala member

Quote: Originally Posted by david owens
i have a2001 2.2 4cyl. ok just bagged the truck a month ago i relocated the evap canister and purge sylinoid . now i went thru emissions testing and failed it said the readiness monitors arent ready . i have no check engine lights on. the chevy dealer said to drive the truck and they will reset. just wondering if anyone else had this problem and long does it take to reset?
every time the battery is dissconnected it clears the memory in the on board computer(s) when reconnected they will have to go through a re-learn process your has not fully finished goin through the re-learn process thats why its NOT READY do not disconect your battery or ground cables all of this will prolong the process of getting your truck passed i dont know what state you are in but in nc when a vehicle is not ready it doesnt issue a fail it only issues a rejection based on what the readines monitors say 96-00 are allowed 2 not ready codes(not dtc's) 01 and up are only allowed 1 not ready code in order to reset the readiness codes all you hafe to do is drive it some take 10 miles others take 500 miles the dealer can reset them by doing what i think is called a drivecyle relearn dont know how much it costs or even if they will do it but they do have the info to speed up the process

Last edited by lilbluetruck98; 02-14-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #16
Headturners

i was just in the same boat i disconnected the batter for a few minutes then drove it about 80 miles and it was good to go but what a PITA
Old 02-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #17
!! TALK NOW !!

also. my Echeck will give you 30day tags if you tell them you need the tags so you can drive it around after you fix the problem. I did that for 2 mths in a row..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.