Drag blocks! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Drag blocks!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

Drag blocks!

I need help, does anyone know the difference between side mount and under-frame mounts? Also, I'm not layin frame, will the blocks be able to reach the ground? Or will I have to modify them to work?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Registered Asshole

User is: OffLine
Re: Drag blocks!

You just said the difference
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Negative 10

well the side mounts. mount to the side of the frame. and the under frame mounts...mount on the underside of the frame. and how far are you from laying? typically drag blocks will either hold people up from laying frame. (that already do normally lay frame) since it sits lower than the frame. or they mount them in the back of the truck so that they only touch the ground when the front is aired up and the rear is dumped. personally i would get the truck laid out first. atleast the rear. before i thought about dragging
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #4

I'm about an inch and a half off the ground. I do plan on laying frame when i get the money, but not yet. would it make more sense to get the side mount blocks so I could lower the blocks a bit more?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
So JDM my blood type is R

It would make more sense to worry about laying the truck out the right way first, then use whichever works better for your particular application in the back. From the few trucks I've done, front mount makes it way too sketchy trying to steer.

Personally, I prefer frame plating over blocks. Think about what the block is doing. Say your truck weighs 4000lbs, and that you have a perfect 50/50 distribution(just to make it easier) if you drag the rear frame itself, you are dragging 2000lbs on a say a 1.5ft by 3in rail, on both sides. If you drag blocks, you are concentrating that same 2000lbs on two 2"x4" sections.

That equates to more stress on the blocks, the mounts, and the frame itself. More sess increases the likelyhood of a part failure, and when your talking bout a 4-7lb chunk of steel, shite gets real dangerous, real fast. The last thing we need as a mini community is more people doing thing in a dangerous manner.

Just my .02, I am open to positive and negative critisim, differing opinions, points of view
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

where would be the best place to mount the frame plates/what kind of metal do you prefer? I'm Latin frame and really want to throw some dope color sparks
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #7

you plate whatever part of the frame you drag. if you drag under the doors, plate under the doors, if you drag under the bed, plate that. what ever you drag most, plate it up. i used 1/4 plate, cause if i was drivin, most of the time, i was draggin.

different metals will give different color sparks, but imo, titanium is the best looking. its like 4th of july weekend behind you, and its bright white. hella expensive and doesnt last long though. also, hard to weld for plating.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #8

Dope! I'm def looking further into the frame plates thanks man for the info and that video is sick! didn't mean to highjack your thread @Mikeh it just
makes more sense to do frame plates instead of drag blocks I'm thinking. plus less o a chance of owing somebody for body work or a windshield for a chunk of metal blasting through a car behind ya
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Registered Asshole

only reason i'd prefer drag blocks is that they can last alot longer, especially if you make them adjustable as they wear. 1/4" plates are fine, but you gotta make sure you check them all the time so you're not worn through. titanium is awesome, magnesium too, but for the price, and you're just dragging them off. my opinion it's not worth the sparks.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

I would not do magnesium, since it is a flammable metal.

Just my opinion though
Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #11

Where is the best place to buy the under frame titanium blocks? Having a hard time finding them- would prefer to order from a well known/reputable online shop.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #12

It's all good, I was just hoping for an inexpensive way to drag until I can afford the notch and 4link set up
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Pneumatic Fanatic

Quote: Originally Posted by theonedub
Where is the best place to buy the under frame titanium blocks? Having a hard time finding them- would prefer to order from a well known/reputable online shop.
Bam
http://thecustomconnectiononline.com...c6e102389e991c
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
<SEVERED TIES>

http://store.gaugemagazine.com/heavy...block-kit.aspx
Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #15

am I the one 1 who realized its cheaper to buy the blocks and mounts seperately from Custom Connection.... isnt it usually the other way around?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Pneumatic Fanatic

You got it backwards man. It IS cheaper to buy the complete set than to buy it all separate. The blocks are sold individually as stated on the website. $50 bucks for complete set
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #17

I was going off the $60 price. The separate components are $52.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Petitioning Low Rollers

i saw somewhere that copper thows some sick sparks i tried looking for a video but i couldnt find one
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Pneumatic Fanatic

Quote: Originally Posted by JeremyCollins13
I was going off the $60 price. The separate components are $52.
You only got one block dude lol
Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #20

O I C. WAY off on the price then. Holy crap.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by Custom Connection
Quote: Originally Posted by DUTN@GAUGE
Thanks a lot for the links, guys. Do either of you sell the titanium blocks for the bright white sparks? Want to get them delivered by the 15th. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Pneumatic Fanatic

Ti blocks dont last very long and are more $$ so we dont build them. I have had a few guys ask for them lately so I'm thinking about doing them in the future. If you can round up a few buddys and get at least 3-4 others on board I will go ahead and get some ti and start on them. As for the 15th...That would be pushing it
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Petitioning Low Rollers

doesnt copper make green sparks? im pretty sure that would be cooler than white ones
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #24

I don't see copper sparking very well. It is so soft, it would grind off as soon as it hit the road too. Not to mention, it got SPENDY in the last couple years...
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #25

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by Eight433
I don't see copper sparking very well. It is so soft, it would grind off as soon as it hit the road too. Not to mention, it got SPENDY in the last couple years...
x2. it would just shave off, or break and become a copper projectile.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #26
I drive

Quote: Originally Posted by mikeh918
It's all good, I was just hoping for an inexpensive way to drag until I can afford the notch and 4link set up

A+++ response..will read again...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #27

Ti blocks dont last very long and are more $$ so we dont build them. I have had a few guys ask for them lately so I'm thinking about doing them in the future. If you can round up a few buddys and get at least 3-4 others on board I will go ahead and get some ti and start on them. As for the 15th...That would be pushing it
where do I sign up? how much? and how fast can I have ti blocks? maybe even a ti rear drag plate? that would be AMAZING!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #28
Finally Bagged!!!

I know i'm a bit late but it still needs saying...

I Love the whole magnesium thing... I know some people get it mixed up with titanium(or just don't know) but i always get the mental image of someone draggin magnesium in the rain... rofl!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Pneumatic Fanatic

Quote: Originally Posted by joeyhambags
where do I sign up? how much? and how fast can I have ti blocks? maybe even a ti rear drag plate? that would be AMAZING!
I would have to get some current pricing to figure what I could sell them for. As for where to sign up, just have some guys chime in and if there is enough interest Ill do it. If you want a bar tell be how long and I can quote it and it may use enough material to not need to do a group buy, I dont know we will have to see.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #30

Check out waylayedinc.com. They sell some titanium blocks, pretty sick!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #31

I would have to get some current pricing to figure what I could sell them for. As for where to sign up, just have some guys chime in and if there is enough interest Ill do it. If you want a bar tell be how long and I can quote it and it may use enough material to not need to do a group buy, I dont know we will have to see.
alright sounds like a deal I have a couple buddy's that are interested in ti blocks they just aren't members on this forum but as for a rear bar I'll hit you guys up with length I need and see if I can get a few friends to grab some blocks. thanks for the reply so quickly and I'll definantly be in contact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.