cardboard cantilever madness! - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

cardboard cantilever madness!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #51
Afterhours Admin

User is: OffLine
Re: cardboard cantilever madness!

Quote: Originally Posted by LaynLo
oh wait i didnt even notice that until now. retro ten, you should have put a link assembly between the axle and the canti arms.
That's incorrect. His "canti" bar is actually the 4link bar too, so if you add the dogbone, the axle will flop all over the place and things will break. You only need to add the dogbone when the canti bars are in addition to the 4link, which brings me to the next point, and that is that the OP posted up a "lever" setup, not a true cantilever.

His design is exactly the same as placing the bags on the bars, just with a fancier look. A true cantilever adds bars in addition to the 4link bars, which adds complexity but benefits the packaging and aesthetics. Most cantilevers will incorporate a fulcrum and bellcrank to multiply travel and reduce spring rate. The green setup posted and Larrys coilover setup show typical cantilevers.

However, in our industry the term cantilever is thrown around quite a bit so I can't fault the OP from calling it that, as a lot of other people do as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #52

Quote: Originally Posted by AVTekk
That's incorrect. His "canti" bar is actually the 4link bar too, so if you add the dogbone, the axle will flop all over the place and things will break. You only need to add the dogbone when the canti bars are in addition to the 4link, which brings me to the next point, and that is that the OP posted up a "lever" setup, not a true cantilever.

His design is exactly the same as placing the bags on the bars, just with a fancier look. A true cantilever adds bars in addition to the 4link bars, which adds complexity but benefits the packaging and aesthetics. Most cantilevers will incorporate a fulcrum and bellcrank to multiply travel and reduce spring rate. The green setup posted and Larrys coilover setup show typical cantilevers.

However, in our industry the term cantilever is thrown around quite a bit so I can't fault the OP from calling it that, as a lot of other people do as well.

This actually makes me wonder/second guess myself on what I have in my head and plan on doing is actually a true cantilever
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #53
bitch

Quote: Originally Posted by AVTekk
true. but not true if the bars are used with a 3 or 4 link setup, then you need the dogbones
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #54
Afterhours Admin

Well of course, but thats not what he made out of cardboard.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
MANIC MECHANIC

nice work. I usually do design work like that with my ACAD 2013. I model it in 3D so I can move the assembly as it would move in life. To see if there are any issues.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #56
i don't like people

i grasp the concept of all of this layout and this is how i make it as simple as possible, im old school no fb or email but wanted to share how easy it is to test your design and or design something like this you dont need some expensive setup to get started. no cad, no plasma, or any fancy tools cardboard is free and if you f up you grab another piece and keep trying till you get it rite
Old 05-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #57
MANIC MECHANIC

I used to hand draft projects in the 80s and 90s. CAD makes it so easy I can built it from a chair in 3D with out a big pile of disposed paper.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #58
i don't like people

im just a back woods red neck, and cardboard is readily available
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #59
MANIC MECHANIC

na.. Old skool is how it is done. Gives ya a better understanding of the project. I work with CAD operators. Most od them have no concept of how, what they are designing works or how to assemble it. They like to deisgn big and complicated objects. I like simple and useful obects. I used to be a fabricater in he field. I understand things out there.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #60
Dems 22s

I like working with the design guys that have the old school teachings, that apply them to the new style of programming. There isnt a lot of them out there, but they definatley are a lot better to work with. Our tooling engineer at work was a tool and die maker back in the 70s and 80s, in the early 2000s where i work at sent him to school for auto cad. He is by far one of the best designers that i have ever worked with.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #61
MANIC MECHANIC

how old skool? I started back in the early 80's with board drafting and design. Also worked in a machine shop machining and worked in a meatl shop hand and press forming metal.

I designed and hand formed this transmission tunnel back in the late 90s. formed it using "C" clamps, a hammer, a log, wooden stairs, and my muscles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.