S-10 Forum banner

bonus: electric or belt driven?

2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  mattadams13 
#1 ·
Ok so I just got a nice suprise today in the mail and i got a bonus check so naturally I thought more parts. I was originally going to wait until this spring and see if i could find a decent york 210 in a junkyard but with this new found bonus decided i would treat myself early. So here's the question first off I have a viair 480 and two other off brand compressors right now but am really wanting to go with beltdriven and wire those as back up. So what are your thoughts as far as belt over electric and where is a decent place to pick up a york 210 or something similiar.(other than ebay) i've seen rebuilt ones all over ebay but anywhere else?

#2 ·
I got my rebuilt 210 off ebay and it has been in my truck since June 2009 and has seen alot of miles. So far she has been rock solid and in all the gallons upon gallons of air she has pumped she is only 1.6 seconds slower now than she was when new. I just check the oil regularly and add more when needed. Only mod to it is the crank case breather. After having a EDC I could never go back to only electrics. I do have a pair of 450s for back up though.

#3 ·
cool good to know, now I have been researching these a lot and i have heard many different things about this crank case breather. any benefit with this because I've also read its not needed?

#5 ·
York 209 or 210 can be found all over ebay for real cheap if you spend some time looking hard. Generally you'll find them for $150+ ut if you keep browsing through pages you will def find them with starting bids of $50. Ive picked up all style remanned 206's, 209's and 210's for $70-90 shipped and still run a 209 in my truck going on two yrs that came from ebay.
installing a 210 this spring. as for the crankcase breather i have one on mine as well and i cant really tell the difference on blow by honestly. Even running two water/oil seperators. I mainly run it to vent the crankcase and disipate heat.
Ive had two 380's for backup forever and after running EDC i would never go back to electric air.. never

#7 ·
Is it a junkyard 209 or is it an ebay remanned york. Do you fill it past 12-14oz ? U could always sell it to me adam i wouldnt mind throwing a backup on the shelf :)

#9 ·
When I ordered my 210 today so hopefully all goes well. Once I get my firewall done I will be posting up a build thread of the whole deal and the finish.

#11 ·
ive had my 210 on for months now and havent had ANY issues despite all the torment. i put a sight glass on the side of mine and havent had to put any oil at all in it

#12 ·
If you do the intake oil passage plug, be sure to vent the crank case. Removing the crank case pressure helps prevent oil from being blown past the ring.

These compressors on have one ring per piston, no real oil control ring. So any little bit helps.

Also straight weight 30 oil is a must, 10w30 just will not work.

Redline Race SAE30 non foaming non detergent is about the best, but a bit expensive to be passing through your compressor.

Well that and old compressors have old rings, and there may be a reason they ditched it as an AC compressor so lack of compression is a good sign it will pass allot of oil.

I have been inside up in and around these things for years, any odd questions let me know happy to help out.

#13 ·
That and the Airlift SC209 I have in my truck has been run HARD for 9 years now!

If you have the money the Airlift 209's are special made by CCI ( climate control inc. ) with cast iron bits to allow them to live longer as Air compressors. For as an AC compressor they where continuously lubed by the freon in a dry no moisture system. As well had PAG oil.

#16 ·
I need to find the time to take the junk one I have and do a cutaway model to show people what the 'mysterious' oil passage is , how it works and what to do about it.

#17 ·
or sell me one of those V-twin models you have and let me do it ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.