1987 s10 build - Page 8 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1987 s10 build

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Baggin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #351

Re: 1987 s10 build

I understand yall are putting yalls opinions forth. And I appreciate the honesty. But the dude has used that tubing before. He told me himself. And theres NEVER been a problem w any of it. Never had any of it bend or break or whatever. Again. Theres no rule anywhere saying that tubing. Or "pipe" is forbidden to use on trucks. Whats the big deal? Leave it alone and let it be. It is staying the way it is. If I had it painted before I posted a pic yall wouldnt know the difference. So please let it go. Hate on it all u want. But theres no point in continuously poating comments bashing it. I like it and thats all thay matters to me.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #352
Registered Asshole

User is: OffLine

They are fine. If it were the link bars than I'd be concerned. What diameter and thickness are those link bars btw?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #353
Inferno Fab

I didn't see a single post of anyone bashing the work that was done. All we did was point out what we feel is a saftey precaution. Its up to you whether or not to do anything about it. This forum is to help people and for people to learn. There are no rules regarding what can and cant be used but there are standards and safety precautions.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #354

Quote: Originally Posted by flnole78
I didn't see a single post of anyone bashing the work that was done. All we did was point out what we feel is a saftey precaution. Its up to you whether or not to do anything about it. This forum is to help people and for people to learn. There are no rules regarding what can and cant be used but there are standards and safety precautions.
I understand all of what you just said. And I appreciate the concern. But the man has used that material on other trucks and never once has had a problem. I'm not concerned w anything. I trust the man who built it.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #355

Here is one of the trucks he did. The truck is beautiful and doesn't have any or never has had any problems with "pipe" or tubing or whatever u wanna call it. I don't mind the opinions and concerns. But the man that built this truck built my back half.. So I'm not worried ab sh*t.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #356
Longbeds FTMFW

I know this is beating a dead horse... But still interesting

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=133951

"Are there any strength difference between the pipe I can get from the hardware store compared to DOM steel tubing? I'm not sure if I could use the pipe in place of DOM and still retain the strength?

There is a difference in strength between ordinary pipe and DOM tube; for the same OD and wall thickness DOM will be considerably stronger but if you are planning on using the material for the tracks on a router or something like that this is completely unimportant.

The important property for a router application is stiffness not strength and there is a very important distinction between these two properties of material. Strength is a measure of how much force needs to be applied to something before plastic deformation occurs; i.e. it is permanently bent and does not return to the original condition. Stiffness is how much elastic deformation occurs under a given load and when the deformation is elastic the material or structure returns exactly back to the original condition when the load is removed.

With any material under load elastic deformation occurs first followed by plastic deformation when what is called the yield strength is reached. With DOM tube a great deal more load can be applied and a great deal more elastic deformation will occur before the yield strength is reached than with pipe.

Ok I got a question, What is the material difference between black pipe and DOM,I know black pipe has a lacquered finish to minimize rusting, pipe is measured ID, DOM is measured OD, DOM wall thickness is .120 where as pipe is .113, ( BTW I am talking 1" DOM or 3/4 black pipe) whats the metalurgical difference. I want to use black pipe to build a motor cycle frame. I talked to a pro TIG welder and he mentioned that pipe does not weld as good as DOM? Any input.

Black pipe is not suitable for this application; I could say definitely, absolutely not suitable. Black pipe is very low carbon steel with a low yield strength and a low ultimate strength. DOM can be obtained in low and medium carbon steel and in some alloy steels. It has a much higher yield strength and ultimate strength.

Making a motor cycle frame is something that you need to get experienced advice on. Having a weld break or having the frame crumple while you are riding could make life interesting for a short while."
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #357
S10's-R-Us

Lol, pipe is for poop
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #358

Good lord I give up. F*ck this
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #359
i don't like people

ok again im going with the fact that the bracing between his pipe on his truck is a plus, what i was trying to say before. He has a reverse three link bad idea! Now has any of his trucks been in a wreck? thats truly when black pipe is a bad idea. your truck will be fine but i would brace it up a bit for piece of mind, and again still no one is bashing, and niether am i
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #360
needs a cheeseburger

well i think the truck is turning out great.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #361

Quote: Originally Posted by tohoopty
well i think the truck is turning out great.
Thanks man
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #362

Quote: Originally Posted by Retro Ten
ok again im going with the fact that the bracing between his pipe on his truck is a plus, what i was trying to say before. He has a reverse three link bad idea! Now has any of his trucks been in a wreck? thats truly when black pipe is a bad idea. your truck will be fine but i would brace it up a bit for piece of mind, and again still no one is bashing, and niether am i
Ok....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.