S-10 Forum banner

shortening drive shaft/ JTR plate question?

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  GET_LOW 
#1 ·
Alrighty, Im trying to trouble shoot my problem. Im leaking trans fluid somewhere out of my trans when it is parked on any type of incline. I was wondering would you recommend to have my shaft shortened or what? I have a feeling my trans is getting plowed by my driveshaft. I have a 7in drop (4in blocks, 3in leafs) with a 20in rims and meaty tires but Im also running JTR set back plates. I have a t5 trans aswell. I was under the impression the plates would fix any problems I would have but Im thinking the shaft may have pushed something in my trans.

#5 ·
Lol a driveshaft bottoming out in the Trans won't make it leak. Unless it's bottomed out and it ****ed something else up causing a leak.

Pics would be helpful of the yoke in the Trans. Also unbolt the driveshaft and see if you can push it in any.

If the truck only leaks on an incline, output shaft seal could be bad, and could be overfilled.

#6 ·
Thanks guys.
Ya, It may be overfilled but its leaked puddles of it so id assume Ive lost way more then I put in to over flow it. I filled it with a makeshift beer pong type contraption since I cant fit a bottle under the truck so as soon as it started to spill out of the hole I stopped.

Ill try to take some pics of it when I tear into it and do what all you guys said to do and then report back.

PS i notice the montana can aviator, you write?
Youre the first person to say something about that in like 4 years haha..
sure do. been doing it for about 10 years now.

#7 ·
Youre the first person to say something about that in like 4 years haha..
sure do. been doing it for about 10 years now.

Nice. I was all about it for alot of years till my kid was born. Then I had to give it up, I miss it everyday. Nothing can replace that feeling of a night out bombing! Good to see some like minded people.

Also, try taking out your driveshaft, and checking the output shaft on the trans. I dont know if you're auto or 5 speed but it should have some play but not too much either. Can be a worn out bushing or even worse planetary gears starting to wear out. I've had 2 trannies planetaries blow up on me.

#8 ·
You can fill the t5 through the shifter hole, just have to fill it very slow. Not sure which tail shaft you are using but you will probably need to jack the rear of the truck up so that the fluid will run into the case instead of falling back towards the rear of the tail shaft.

Like stated above, check the bushing and the seal on the tail shaft for excessive play. If it is not leaking there then the next spot id check is the speedo housing area.

#10 ·
Well, Took it to get an alignment yesterday and my friends the manager at the shop so he let me inspect my truck on the lift. Not much play in anything. There was a lot of fluid around the rear seal and there is a leak from the other side at the imput shaft on the trans...

my assumption is that I need to shorten the yolk? Im thinking its just burying itself in my trans...

#12 ·
I broke my phone so I couldnt get any pics haha

but yah, thats what Im going to do!

#14 ·
I have not.
I will be taking out the driveshaft this weekend..
been trying to get someone to tune my truck haha

#15 ·
Finally got around to it.
The shaft was entire in the trans... all 4.5in of it.
as soon as I pulled the driveshaft out fluid came pouring out.
I also had to unbolt the axle for the driveshaft to get out.
The seal didnt look damaged.
I uploaded pics but for some reason facebook wont let me have a jpeg address.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10351882_939000215881_570358604089717951_n.jpg?oh=95f22c85501430655e7d20d75ce437e0&oe=54590A55&__gda__=1413786125_eebbbd58b88170d8b9f7d07a8b51bbbc

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10541860_939000315681_5076152732747267270_n.jpg?oh=bef0ee2a9bd30a28aafbdd21f7834004&oe=5454CD5F&__gda__=1412894498_2a8150ed2ff992bd161c3d170d8f4de5

wasnt too sure if the rings meant anything..

#19 ·
derp. Thats what I meant, shorten it. I guess hacking was the wrong word and made it sound like I was talking about the yolk.

and I have set back plates already. didnt seem to help much.

#21 ·
correct me if Im wrong but I was reading on some camaro forums that you need a special tool to do the rear seal? I wasnt going to tackle myself that bc many people were saying that. I dont see what the big deal is but i didnt want to fool around with it

#22 ·
They are probably talking about the rear bushing inside the transmission. You'd need a puller along with a specific size pipe to knock it in.

The seal can be replaced similarly to how an axle seal is replaced on these trucks.

Looks like your seal was riding on the rusty/pitted area of your yoke, which would explain the leak you were having. I would not worry about the marks on your yoke unless you can hang your finger nail on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.