leaf spring causing vibration? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

leaf spring causing vibration?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Droppin' It > 2wd Droppin'
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 01:48 AM   #1
black culture thief?!

User is: OffLine
leaf spring causing vibration?

I had a problem where my U-joint went out and my D-shaft hit my gas tank, muffler, frame and the ground at a high rate of speed like 80 mph. I have gotten the D-shaft retubed and balanced with all new U-joints and a Carrier bearing. The BAD vibration from 25-40 mph stopped and the rear view mirror stoped vibrating at highway speeds, but there was a very slight vibration at around 70 mph. That vibration is starting to get worse and I am about to go on vacation 150 miles each way and I don't feel like putting up with an annoying vibration for 3 hours at a time.

So my driveline is stock except for the fact that I have a rebalanced driveshaft AND my passenger leaf spring LEAF CLAMP in front of the spring is bent open and can no longer effectively clamp the leafs together. If you jack the truck up with the tire off the ground you can wiggle that middle leaf from side to side. Would that cause the vibration?
BTW I have my two stock winter tires on the back that I just balanced myself at school and I am about to balance my other two summer tires and put them on the back and move the stock tires to the front.
I plan on installing my ZQ8 springs tomorrow if I have time, but I am hoping the new springs and used shocks will fix the vibration. What do you all think? I have read up on other threads concerning this but all they mentioned is the Ubolt being loose causing a vibration.

Please respond back soon guys! I appreciate your help!
Old 12-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #2

Re: leaf spring causing vibration?

If you can move the center leaf from side to side, your u bolts are not tight enough, and also the center bolt that goes through the leaf pack is not tight enough. When both of these are tight, there should be no way that any of the leafs can be moved around. As for your vibration, i seriously doubt that the spring is the problem. You need to check your pinion angle and correct it if necessary. This is what causes vibration. And this vibration probably also caused the u-bolts and spring bolt to loosen over time. Correct the pinion angle and you shouldn't have any more problems.

Eric
Old 12-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
Hates 'know-it-alls'

Re: leaf spring causing vibration?

I would definately get it fixed before you go on vacation cause chances are the driveshaft will not hold up for that long of a drive. My buddy lost his driveshaft due to the pinion angle being off and did the same damage as your's did only his also busted the rearend and took out a rim and tire in the process. He was about 7 hours from home too, so it's not something you want to go through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.