how much weight can a s10 bed hold with cap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how much weight can a s10 bed hold with cap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Droppin' It > 2wd Droppin'
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #1

how much weight can a s10 bed hold with cap

Well i got a question about my s10. How much weight can I put in the bed? Im getting a work cap for it that has the doos in the back and what will be held in the back. A water tank and water about 400 lbs, generator 150 lbs, then the other stuff all together i need may weigh another 200 lbs or less. Can the s10 handle that much weight? That would be with cap and all over 1000 lbs. I see some s10 work trucks around all the time and seem to be carry heavy weight, but i dont know if they have modified suspensions or what
Old 01-18-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Hates 'know-it-alls'

User is: OffLine
I am pretty sure it can handle it, but it's gonna sag in the rear pretty bad. I would look into getting some air shocks for it.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:28 AM   #3

I'm not sure about all the different years, but my '98 has an 1150 lb payload rating. Grndscrpr03 is right about the rear end sagging badly in the back.

Air shocks are 1 alternative, another is a traditional helper spring in the rear. There is a little known solution that intrigues me called the roadmaster suspension system. It's basically a small coilspring that mounts horizontally between the middle of the leafspring and the rear eyebolt. It's supposed to function as an overload spring, an anit-roll bar, and a traction bar (to prevent axelwrap) all in one. I don't have one, but my local mechanic put one on his suburban and said it really helped stabilize the rear end. They go for 2-250 bucks, if you get one I'd be really interested to see how it works on a loaded down S-10.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Project: Sabriel

Re: how much weight can a s10 bed hold with cap

in my 1994 standard suspension 4x4, i had 1400+ lbs of split wood in the back a few times, itll haul it, but the rear bumper was VERY low, and i was afraid i was going to start breaking stuff. helper springs, or even heavy-duty spring replacement packs would be a good idea.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #5

There should be a sticker on the door listing the weight. I hauled well over 1 ton on my 88, it rode on the blocks all the way home though. You can get stiffer springs, overload springs, air bags, etc. Be careful though I have heard the shock mounts are weak so if you try air shocks you could break the shock mounts off.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
footbraker

Jacking it up with air shocks is definitely a bad idea. Get air bag or helper spring.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
Project: Sabriel

you also have to worry about the GAWR - how much weight the axle itself can handle. if you put too much in, you risk bending the axle tubes, and thats not good. airbagging the rear isnt a terrible idea, but ive never seen it used on S-10's, only heavy duty trucks.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
Hates 'know-it-alls'

Quote: Originally Posted by MuddyS10
you also have to worry about the GAWR - how much weight the axle itself can handle. if you put too much in, you risk bending the axle tubes, and thats not good. airbagging the rear isnt a terrible idea, but ive never seen it used on S-10's, only heavy duty trucks.

You've never seen the rear of a S10 bagged before? Boy do you must live sheltered life. J/K, I know what you meant.

Last edited by grndscrpr03; 01-18-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Blown ex ***

i have helper air bags on my truck. airlift.
for what your doing i would HIGHLY recomend them. and they are not hard to put on.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 AM   #10

I also have the airlift helper air bags. and they are awsome.
I tow about 4000lbs quite often and they make a big difference.
I also have had a full bed of split wood and had the air bags pump up to about 75% and the truck sat level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.