turbo v8, with carb - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

turbo v8, with carb

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Blowers and Bottles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
turbo v8, with carb

well as the title says, pondering around puttin a turbo on my noma. right now has a 350 4bolt main (1982 i think), stock pistons and rods but new rings and all new bearings, stock heads, mild lunati cam, summit air gap intake, holley 750 double pumper with mechanical secondaries, holley electric fuel pump, and a built turbo 350 tranny. Im pretty new to the whole turbo thing, but have read up and searched. The biggest thing im unsure of is what to do with the carb??
Now i recently got a turbo header that came off a monza with a 305 in it, the boost tubes(non intercooled) and exhaust pipes,and the bonnet thing that bolts to the carb. have access to the turbo that it came with, unsure of what model etc.. now i got all this stuff for helping do a head gasket on a 305.
I can post up some pics of the header and the other stuff i got later. im not lookin for any crazy numbers or rediculous boost or anything, just some more power and make people look when i pop the hood.
So is it feasable to do boost a carbed setup without crazy amounts of time and mainly money? im willing to spend time and money but i still need to finish other projects on the truck. Or am i just better off sellin the stuff i got since it was basically free? thanks for looking
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
I turn.

Re: turbo v8, with carb

I think you'll need a turbo specific carb so that it meters fuel properly without the normal vacuum signals. I'm not sure if you can modify a standard carb for boost. You'll also need a carb enclosure. For a given engine, carb setups can usually handle more boost than EFI.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

Theres 2 ways to do it, blow through or carb enclosure.

Blow through involves modifying the carb to work with the bonnet you have. Basically, you modify a carb or buy a modified one then add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that connects to the boost/vac signal on the intake. As the boost comes on, the regulator ups the fuel pressure 1psi per 1psi of boost. Fairly easy setup, harder to tune though.

A carb enclosure is a very easy and simple way to do it. Basically, you just make or buy (Vortech makes one!) a enclosure that completely seals off the carb, linkage, and fuel lines. Then the boost is fed into the box, so the whole carb inside and out is pressurized. You still need the rising rate fuel regulator, but many times no changing in jetting is needed. It is easy to tune, and works well with low (less than 12psi) of boost.

Both with require alot of money, and the carb enclosure is a pretty expensive piece. Personally, I'd stick with the enclosure because it's easier to tune and safer. A friend of mine boosted his RX1 snowmobile by doing a 4 carb enclosure and adding a rising rate regulator. It boosts 15 lbs and makes over 300hp, and he didnt even have to change the jetting!!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Hmm.. well now..

Quote: Originally Posted by The Blown Blazer
A friend of mine boosted his RX1 snowmobile by doing a 4 carb enclosure and adding a rising rate regulator. It boosts 15 lbs and makes over 300hp, and he didnt even have to change the jetting!!
Wow! I was toying with turbocharging my Rotax 600 2 stroke, not sure how to lubricate the turbo, separate oil tank?

I think if I turbo a V8 or whatever in my truck, I'll be using the carb enclosure thingy.

Theres another way to do it..
http://jobyteknik.homeip.net/fredrik...turbo_systems/

That company went belly up in the 80s... was meant to fit under stock hoods as it doesn't raise the carb.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

Theres 2 ways to do it, blow through or carb enclosure.

Blow through involves modifying the carb to work with the bonnet you have. Basically, you modify a carb or buy a modified one then add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that connects to the boost/vac signal on the intake. As the boost comes on, the regulator ups the fuel pressure 1psi per 1psi of boost. Fairly easy setup, harder to tune though.

A carb enclosure is a very easy and simple way to do it. Basically, you just make or buy (Vortech makes one!) a enclosure that completely seals off the carb, linkage, and fuel lines. Then the boost is fed into the box, so the whole carb inside and out is pressurized. You still need the rising rate fuel regulator, but many times no changing in jetting is needed. It is easy to tune, and works well with low (less than 12psi) of boost.

Both with require alot of money, and the carb enclosure is a pretty expensive piece. Personally, I'd stick with the enclosure because it's easier to tune and safer. A friend of mine boosted his RX1 snowmobile by doing a 4 carb enclosure and adding a rising rate regulator. It boosts 15 lbs and makes over 300hp, and he didnt even have to change the jetting!!
ok thanks for the info.. ill check out that regulator and the carb enclosure.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #6

might be a dumb question, but why are the carb enclosures so rediculously expensive? i can see a couple hundred bucks but 600-850??? for that price i might attempt to make my own. i have access to a tig welder so i might just fab up something out of aluminum or stainless when the time rolls around.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by yourname
might be a dumb question, but why are the carb enclosures so rediculously expensive? i can see a couple hundred bucks but 600-850??? for that price i might attempt to make my own. i have access to a tig welder so i might just fab up something out of aluminum or stainless when the time rolls around.
Probably because its a niche piece and they don't make a WHOLE lot of them. Alot of dudes make a simple aluminum box, with a detachable screwed on top.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #8

Probably because its a niche piece and they don't make a WHOLE lot of them. Alot of dudes make a simple aluminum box, with a detachable screwed on top.
thats what im thinking about, just everything has to be sealed of and pressurized correct? seems simple enough to make something
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Hmm.. well now..

thats what im thinking about, just everything has to be sealed of and pressurized correct? seems simple enough to make something
Yeah the Vortech carb boxes are like $600-$800...

I think if all else fails, I will just use a Barry Grant blowthrough carb, the 650 is around $550-$600? I'd be fine with paying that.. unless I can figure out the carb box.. It'd be simple enough, just make a box to fit the carb around the carb, and make it bolt to the inbetween the intake and the carb.. but then you have the problem of fuel lines and throttle cables...

We'll see if I get a V8 first.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Hmm.. well now..

You can also mod a Holley into a blowthrough carb... theres a guide on the internet.. uhh lemme find it

here

http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

Last edited by Gearstix; 01-12-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #11

thanks for that guide but i would be more interested in the box. couple of fittings for the fuel lines and a little tweaking for the throttle cable seem pretty simple to do.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #12

A guy on www.theturboforums.com modifies and sells blowthrough carbs for ~$300.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Hmm.. well now..

thanks for that guide but i would be more interested in the box. couple of fittings for the fuel lines and a little tweaking for the throttle cable seem pretty simple to do.
You can use a marine cable and some O rings I think.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Hmm.. well now..

Paxton carb box. Looks realy simple.

more pics

this is how the linkage connected

(vintage mustang install)

I guess you'd just need fuel and throttle cable, not sure what the other fittings are for.

(pics from Mustang Monthly)

Last edited by Gearstix; 01-13-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #15

Yeah, there's a couple different ways to skin a cat on this topic. Some of the best people to talk to though are the old VW Bug people, turbo carb settups are a dime a dozen in that community, of course many run the Webber carbs, but tuning is the same concept.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #16

thanks for the pics i will pursue this more when i get my income tax return.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #17

Check out ProCharger, they make blow through carb systems and may be able to help you with parts. www.procharger.com

Here is an example of their blow through system on a camaro. http://procharger.com/chevy_blue_camaro.shtml
Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
turbo v8 s10

I have pic's of mine on here. May be help.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
This season SUCKS.

Quote: Originally Posted by v8turboblazer
I have pic's of mine on here. May be help.
Now that I know there's a turbo dime in the area, you MUST bring it to the Oaktown show.... Myself and several others demand it. lol
Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
This season SUCKS.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f81/5t...2009-a-388808/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.